Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking at the pictures people have posted. Have "Units and Format" settings disappeared?
Also one of these threads had a video. The guy showed most (if not all) the screens. The service screen did not have the TPMS reset button. Is that gone too? I use that twice a year.
The units and format settings are under the Display section, but they're not immediately visible; you have to scroll down (or rather, swipe up) to reach them. Not sure about TPMS reset. The video I saw did not show it under the Service section where you'd expect it to be.

• Informative
Reactions: Brass Guy
I've been looking at the pictures people have posted. Have "Units and Format" settings disappeared?
Also one of these threads had a video. The guy showed most (if not all) the screens. The service screen did not have the TPMS reset button. Is that gone too? I use that twice a year.
I just found this pretty good video walkthrough of the new UI.
Looks like TPMS Reset is under the Service screen (see video, approx 5:30 mark)
Also shows clearly the v9 lame limitation of omnipresent maps-on-top + max only 1 other app below

aside: Interestingly the guy mentions screen performance is pretty good, his MS is MCU1

• Helpful
Reactions: Brass Guy
I enjoyed seeing the new interface on YouTube before upgrading. Since navigation is my default view, Version 9 will work fine for me. While there are times the rear camera view is used, I seldom need it. Perhaps it is my old school driving style of looking over my shoulder and using rear view mirrors when making a lane change.

I will appreciate not having to press different areas of the screen to have the previously hidden controls to appear. Pressing a single icon at a fixed location will add functionality without frustration. Similar to the Controls icon at the lower left, the new consistency of operation is appreciated.

The previous separate Setting screens feature while occasionally confusing, did keep seldom used settings out of view. On the plus side, Version 9 will reveal features to some owners that may have been ignored during previous upgrades.

Ugh, count me in as someone who left the camera up on top all the time. I usually have camera on top, nav on bottom, and the muscle memory from 3 years of driving a Tesla with that config is going to be hard to break. I use my mirrors, but I just like to triple check my camera before I change lanes in a $150k car with a bunch of bad drivers around me. This is considerably harder to do with the camera on the bottom, and a big step backwards for... no real reason, except to unify with M3 interface to make things easier on them.

The MS/MX portrait giant screen is a big differentiator from the M3 explicitly because you can run two different apps simultaneously, and bringing the marquee cars' feature set down to parity with the cheaper car just seems like a bad move. I hope they have a two-app version in the works that they just weren't ready to release yet for MS/MX. Or that enough feedback hits Elon's ears that they offer this as an option.

Theory: Could Tesla be preparing for a horizontal-screen in the rumoured Model S/X interior update? Removing the dual windows from the entire fleet now would mean a future Model S/X is not "losing" features?

Personally I'm hit by this change from another angle - I like the rear-view camera on the bottom, so for me the location is not the problem, but I do want it open all the time with another app that usually isn't nav - mostly media player. It seems this will no longer be possible, nor will the system actually even remember to keep the rear-view camera open? (Haven't received the update yet.)

As I recently mentioned about how IMO great 6.2 was, the UI has IMO been deteriorating in functionality (except for AP) all through 7.0 - 9.0. Too bad. As simple as the cars were back in 2012-2014, the UI (both IC and MCU) were feature-rich and IMO very logical to use. Nowadays I still mess up which window apps open to on 8.x (though soon that won't be a problem at all...) and where to find simple things like time, date, odometer... and others mention the media player often... it all used to be so dead simple to use on 6.2 and it has been downhill ever since.

I will still update of course, for AP, but I do wish Tesla would take time and re-visit some of their usability design decisions. While the graphical design may have looked corny, they did nail a lot - usability-wise - in 6.x.

So that every post in this thread isn't negative, I like the UI on v9 much better than 8.1. :D. I'm fine with the rearview camera position. I like the persistent map. I like the unified settings. I like the more responsive screen and greater map detail. I like the situation awareness the side cameras now provide on the dash display. I even like the fonts better. :)

Carry on with the bashing now.

I think the point you are missing: We want the ability to keep the camera on top.

Nav - even traffic - is not something you look at consistently ... the camera (how I use it), is looked at all the time.

Theory: Could Tesla be preparing for a horizontal-screen in the rumoured Model S/X interior update? Removing the dual windows from the entire fleet now would mean a future Model S/X is not "losing" features?

Tesla already has a method of not screwing over past owners when newer features are added: The IC on pre-AP cars if forever stuck on the v6 appearance. It was never given the v7/8/9 IC updates. If tesla is planning to reduce functionality on future cars, they should leave cars that can retain that functionality locked at v8 for those lost functions the same way they do with pre AP cars whose IC would have reduced functionality on v7+.

There is no purpose to downgrading every Model S and X in existence.

Sent one for my S. Hope they’re getting a ton of feedback on this

Tesla Escalation VP(TEVP): Hey TEVP#2, take a look at this message.
TEVP#2: How many messages have we gotten about this?
TEVP: Maybe a dozen or so
TEVP#2: I just went the TMC forum. Look at all these whiners about a camera being at the top of the screen.
TEVP: Are you serious? Let me see
TEVP#2: Yep, they even created Petition.
TEVP: Wow...
TEVP#2: How many cars have we rolled this out to so far?
TEVP: About 15 thousand or so.
TEVP#2: hahahahahaha
TEVP: hahahahahahaha
TEVP#2: Send a response that is professional but politely tells them its not gonna happen.
TEVP: Got it.

• Funny
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
Tesla already has a method of not screwing over past owners when newer features are added: The IC on pre-AP cars if forever stuck on the v6 appearance. It was never given the v7/8/9 IC updates. If tesla is planning to reduce functionality on future cars, they should leave cars that can retain that functionality locked at v8 for those lost functions the same way they do with pre AP cars whose IC would have reduced functionality on v7+.

Actually, it is not the same. The pre-AP 7.0/8.0 (personal experience) - 9.0 (from what I hear) IC is different from 6.2, in a sort of haphazard way. It shows the small car and omits significant amount of information that used to be there, without really offering any improvements instead (unless one happens to like the small car). I remember this very clearly as I used to have a pre-AP car until early 2017. So much information was lost and not much was gained for pre-AP (AP cars of course got the AP display). I used to hope that Tesla would fix the pre-AP IC on 7.x and 8.x, but they never did and by now I think they have no motivation to tweak it anymore.

I agree it would have been superior to leave the pre-AP IC as it was in 6.2. It was better for pre-AP cars IMO. And it seems like it would have been better to leave 9.0 on vertical screens as 8.1 was... But as Tesla didn't leave these as is, I kind of fear for the vertical screen now if the rumours about Tesla going horizontal in Model S/X are true. We shall see of course, I certainly hope the dual apps make a return in 9.1, but Tesla may have less motivation for it if they are moving the new car fleet towards horizontal. Hopefully this fear is not warranted. In the meanwhile, I will miss having media controls and camera on at the same time.

There is no purpose to downgrading every Model S and X in existence.

Keeping the UI consistent while putting obsoleted features into minimal maintenance mode could be a reason - easier to maintain a new UI that disables or minimizes features unique to older cars... even if one doesn't consider the more conspiratorial idea of removing old features that are no longer on new cars sold. :)

Whatever the reasons, I sincerely hope Tesla has more plans for vertical screens in future models and facelifts. If they do, then they probably have more motivation to develop this vertical split-screen idea, that used to be so good.

I am trying to understand the desire for having the rear camera on the top half of the screen. I spent most of the weekend with that configuration and still don't see why that is desirable. Some have even written they feel it is safer. I found that everything I needed to see behind or beside me was available in the 3 mirrors that are already installed. I actually paced along side cars in different lanes to see when they would be visible/invisible to the mirrors vs the rear facing camera. The camera never showed me something I couldn't already see in the mirror. On the negative side, lane markings, crosswalks, manhole covers, etc flashing on the right corner of my eye as they flew through the camera view was a distraction that constantly tried to pull my eyes off the road and down to the screen. Sorry, but I'd rather be looking out the window than down at a screen inside the car. I don't have v9 yet so I can't say much about it. But it sounds like blind spot warning is a new feature that will be a nice backup to looking at the mirrors.

I do find that I spend most of my time with the map full screen for traffic. I'd like to keep the music player up more, but I don't need it to take up 1/2 the screen for huge album cover and big buttons that are duplicated on the steering wheel. From screen shots, it looks like in v9, Map will be a larger share of the real estate even with music player up so this sounds like an improvement for me. Fact is, every move Tesla makes will cause some people to love it, and some people to loose their $h!t. But we can't expect them to get to profitability and keep hundreds of variations of cars/options/configurations to keep everyone happy. Tesla makes their share of mistakes, but I don't think this is one of them.

Try to understand that other people are not you, that should make it easier to accept that people don't want your way to be their way. I run the calendar on top and energy app on the bottom, it's not common for everyone else but I use 2 apps every minute of every drive and my calendar is changed for me so often this is a useful case for me. I don't expect you to use your car exactly like mine, but I also won't defend Tesla for forcing you to keep the calendar on top and the energy app on bottom from now on, just because I happen to like my personal configuration more than I like yours. If they forced my preference on you it would be just as bad as it is when they force yours on me.