Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-view camera with V9 firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The seat rocking thing is definitely something other owners have experienced and waited quite some time for a replacement seat - I'm surprised it requires a whole new seat to fix, but appears to be the case.

One of the threads dedicated to this issue recently posted that there is a fix for this. Some bolt replacement of some kind. I have this issue and was going to ask the next time I go to the SC for confirmation.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
This just shows how subjective these things are. I actually prefer the hidden buttons as I don't often need to use them while driving and it looks neater with a larger map when using split screen etc. So one extra click to bring the buttons up is no big deal to me.

Normally software manufacturers add settings for these kinds of things. 8.x with an option to keep app icons visible all the time would have served more users better. It would have been simple to add too.

I'm just saying that I haven't tried V9 yet. Just maybe I won't actually mind having the rear view display lower down - might even be less distracting than the upper position which can be a little too much at times.

Testing rear view camera on the bottom is very easy on 8.x already. Just put map on top and camera on bottom. Remember that rollbacks are currently impossible so testing how you like it before the 9.0 upgrade is the only way to make sure.

Just remember when testing on 8.1 that version 9 defaults to media player in many instances for example when returning from settings so rear view camera stays up more reliably on 8.1 than on version 9.

So add some random media player clicking to the testing to make the camera be replaced with media player like on version 9. :)

Last edited:
Testing rear view camera on the bottom is very easy on 8.x already. Just put map on top and camera on bottom. Remember that rollbacks are currently impossible so testing how you like it before the 9.0 upgrade is the only way to make sure.

Just remember when testing on 8.1 that version 9 defaults to media player in many instances for example when returning from settings so rear view camera stays up more reliably on 8.1 than on version 9.

So add some random media player clicking to the testing to make the camera be replaced with media player like on version 9. :)

Yeah, I already tested the rear view camera in the lower position after learning about the V9 limitation. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, if anything I do prefer it slightly less in my face while driving. So for me at least this is likely to be a non-issue.

The key for me as to whether or not V9 is an improvement will be the new media player interface. It's not amazing on V8 - Spotify is quite bug ridden and the radio interface is only half finished, so the whole thing could and should be better. I'm just hoping it actually is!

The key for me as to whether or not V9 is an improvement will be the new media player interface. It's not amazing on V8 - Spotify is quite bug ridden and the radio interface is only half finished, so the whole thing could and should be better. I'm just hoping it actually is!

Seeing as in the US they don't even have Spotify I wouldn't hold your breath...

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, if anything I do prefer it slightly less in my face while driving. So for me at least this is likely to be a non-issue.

Rear camera position is a personal preference of course. Too bad the option to follow that preference goes away.

Personally even more troubling is the lack of persistence in version 9 camera. Media player replaces the open camera all the time automatically (visit settings, restart car) requiring reopening the camera again and again.

Rear camera position is a personal preference of course. Too bad the option to follow that preference goes away.

Personally even more troubling is the lack of persistence in version 9 camera. Media player replaces the open camera all the time automatically (visit settings, restart car) requiring reopening the camera again and again.

Yeah that could be annoying indeed. I take your point about having user defined options for everything, but IMHO that can be taken too far as well. For me the best UIs are the simplest ones with carefully chosen genuinely useful options. UIs with too many options can be just as annoying as those with too few.

Unrelated, but one thing that does really annoy me on the V8 PIN entry is the need to press "allow" after entering your PIN. Why doesn't the box simply disappear after you enter a correct PIN? I presume this is still the same on V9?

Why doesn't the box simply disappear after you enter a correct PIN?

My assumption (dangerous of course!) is that is to indicate you have pressed 4 digits (e.g. if you think you've only pressed 3) and also in some way to prevent someone sequentially trying all numbers (although i would hope that after X-tries there is some sort of timed lockup, or somesuch). It also emans that you cannot press N followed by your PIN, you have to only type your PIN

My assumption (dangerous of course!) is that is to indicate you have pressed 4 digits (e.g. if you think you've only pressed 3) and also in some way to prevent someone sequentially trying all numbers (although i would hope that after X-tries there is some sort of timed lockup, or somesuch). It also emans that you cannot press N followed by your PIN, you have to only type your PIN

I suppose it limits number entry to 4 digits, so I think you may be correct. I'm still finding the PIN entry more annoying than I expected. I really wish you could set a timeout after last entry so you don't have to keep re-entering the PIN every single time you step out of the car for a few seconds. I usually end up having to enter the PIN 3 or 4 times every morning when a simple 10 min timeout after last entry would prevent all that.

I do agree with your sentiments, but I'd like to actually try V9 before getting too upset or writing to Tesla about first world issues! It does look like V9 could well be a backward step in some regards, but I'm open-minded at this point.
Well, the fuss made elsewhere on TMC, especially about the camera, seems to have worked: Elon Musk on Twitter

No mention of having other apps in the top half, though.

Rear view on v9 still SUCKS! Even after the update.

Yes, we get to push the rear view up to 3/4's; so now we're forced to take up half the display with streaming music crap and and very tiny, unusable navigation.

I just can't figure out why they had to do this. They can easily allow you to push the screen to the very top, and have the Navigation refocus to the bottom...

We can also see from the Developer menu that ability to flip on-screen App windows is still present in v9... just abandoned for the Model 3 design.

Nav control buttons on top are also STUPID, you have to reach out 4 more inches to get to them.

Map contrast and traffic also look like it came from a color-blind mapquest designer who just puked out his tuna fish sandwhich.

Media player is mostly redundant; you can have that info on the instrument cluster display. Why did they ditch our ability to control the source from the steel wheel?

When it comes to OS updates; V9 = Windows ME.

Tesla UX designers and Elon... you "can stick your v9 software where it hurts".

Last edited: