TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear view interior mirror

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by rogerbohl, Jan 29, 2018.

1. rogerbohl

rogerbohl Member

I find the inside rear view mirror to be unacceptably small. From any seating position, one can see to the limit of what is visible through the rear window. But when I move my head just slightly, I can't see the entire rear window. Does anyone else find this disconcerting?

• Like x 1
  2. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

I specifically checked the rear view mirror in an owner's car recently. I did not find it to be a problem.

3. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Don't know specifics of the mirror, but it's inexpensive to change it if you don't like it.

4. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Aren't there a number of sensors in it including a cabin side one?

5. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Supporting Member

My daughter and I also find it too small, or the wrong shape, or something, for the rear window. But we manage. I think they should change it.

6. preilly44

preilly44 Member

It seems perfectly fine and normal to me. I've had cars with odd shaped mirrors that I hated (VW eGolf) but my wife and I didn't notice the M3 mirror being small or odd shaped at all.

7. tigntink

tigntink Member

I've had mine for a few days now and it took me alot of little adjustments to find just the perfect spot for the mirror to be comfortable. I think the biggest problem is the butt of the car is so high that even though I know I can see out the whole back window, I still can't see nearly as much as I could out of previous cars, due to the big butt problem. A friend of mine noted that the back height is similar to priuses though so if you're already used to that, it wouldn't matter.

• Like x 1
  8. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Agree the rump is higher than many and blocks some of the view out back and lower... not sure any interior mirror could work around that

9. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Anyone find a larger mirror replacement?

10. Fusion

Fusion Member

11. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

12. Mishakim

Mishakim Member

I feel like it's too small in two ways. First, as @rogerbohl said - it's perfectly sized to fit the available view, until you move your head, because it has no extra area. But also, because even if perfectly positioned, it cuts off what you couldn't see through, like the high back end, you feel like you're missing some view, even though you couldn't see anything more if it were bigger. If you could see more of the back around the rear glass, you'd realize you were seeing as much as possible (and then we could complain that the rear view is too constrained, not that the mirror is too small)

13. rogerbohl

rogerbohl Member

I agree with Mishakim, while the window constrains the view, if I move my head, I don't even get the full view available with the rear window,. Broadway has a wide variety of sizes and convexity (or flat). When my wife ever lets me back in the car (she's away at the moment) I'll consider my options and probably spring for a wider, flat mirror. As Fusion noted, it's not a big risk to try one out. Thanks, Fusion, for providing a link to a source!

14. Fusion

Fusion Member

They have the blue coated ones that do something similar. Same coating you see in some BMW side mirrors.

15. Shopaholic

Shopaholic Member

The view of the rear in the mirror is terrible. If a small car pulls up too close, it almost disappears from view! Annoying to keep moving constantly to see the back view.

16. stonelance

stonelance Member

I wish they had a button on the steering wheel that would just show the backup camera whenever pressed, then I wouldn't need the rear view mirror at all. You can barely see out the back of the car anyway.

• Like x 2
  17. rogerbohl

rogerbohl Member

Just received a 10" flat Broadway mirror. Does the job, but just a bit too wide. Positioned it a bit to the left of center, where it clears the passenger's sun visor entirely, allowing my wife to check her eye makeup in the mirror. This position interferes with the driver's visor if flipped all the way forward, but not if one just lowers the visor to the vertical position. I'll be keeping it, but 9" would have been perfect!

Mounting is very slick: paired spring loaded clips on the top; fixed clips on the bottom.

• Like x 1
  18. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

Can you take pics of the mirror? I'm planning on buying the Broadway mirror as well. Thanks!

19. rogerbohl

rogerbohl Member

Broadway 10-inch mirror.JPG
    Mirror is shifted to left, so it clears the right visor entirely, but prevents the left visor from being rotated through its entire arc. I don't think this will be an issue, as the left visor is used only when the sun is low and the visor is rotated only down to the vertical position.

20. North75

North75 Member

While the original mirror is a bit small, it doesn't bother me, and I really like how it looks especially with the small bezels. This thing... not so much.
    It looks like you could pop the existing mirror off of the ball joint. Can you find another mirror with the same ball socket size?