Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view interior mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the inside rear view mirror to be unacceptably small. From any seating position, one can see to the limit of what is visible through the rear window. But when I move my head just slightly, I can't see the entire rear window. Does anyone else find this disconcerting?

Reactions: mmccking
I find the inside rear view mirror to be unacceptably small. From any seating position, one can see to the limit of what is visible through the rear window. But when I move my head just slightly, I can't see the entire rear window. Does anyone else find this disconcerting?
I specifically checked the rear view mirror in an owner's car recently. I did not find it to be a problem.

I've had mine for a few days now and it took me alot of little adjustments to find just the perfect spot for the mirror to be comfortable. I think the biggest problem is the butt of the car is so high that even though I know I can see out the whole back window, I still can't see nearly as much as I could out of previous cars, due to the big butt problem. A friend of mine noted that the back height is similar to priuses though so if you're already used to that, it wouldn't matter.

Reactions: JenniferQ
I feel like it's too small in two ways. First, as @rogerbohl said - it's perfectly sized to fit the available view, until you move your head, because it has no extra area. But also, because even if perfectly positioned, it cuts off what you couldn't see through, like the high back end, you feel like you're missing some view, even though you couldn't see anything more if it were bigger. If you could see more of the back around the rear glass, you'd realize you were seeing as much as possible (and then we could complain that the rear view is too constrained, not that the mirror is too small)

I agree with Mishakim, while the window constrains the view, if I move my head, I don't even get the full view available with the rear window,. Broadway has a wide variety of sizes and convexity (or flat). When my wife ever lets me back in the car (she's away at the moment) I'll consider my options and probably spring for a wider, flat mirror. As Fusion noted, it's not a big risk to try one out. Thanks, Fusion, for providing a link to a source!

Just received a 10" flat Broadway mirror. Does the job, but just a bit too wide. Positioned it a bit to the left of center, where it clears the passenger's sun visor entirely, allowing my wife to check her eye makeup in the mirror. This position interferes with the driver's visor if flipped all the way forward, but not if one just lowers the visor to the vertical position. I'll be keeping it, but 9" would have been perfect!

Mounting is very slick: paired spring loaded clips on the top; fixed clips on the bottom.

Reactions: Fusion
Just received a 10" flat Broadway mirror. Does the job, but just a bit too wide. Positioned it a bit to the left of center, where it clears the passenger's sun visor entirely, allowing my wife to check her eye makeup in the mirror. This position interferes with the driver's visor if flipped all the way forward, but not if one just lowers the visor to the vertical position. I'll be keeping it, but 9" would have been perfect!

Mounting is very slick: paired spring loaded clips on the top; fixed clips on the bottom.

Can you take pics of the mirror? I'm planning on buying the Broadway mirror as well. Thanks!

Broadway 10-inch mirror.JPG
Mirror is shifted to left, so it clears the right visor entirely, but prevents the left visor from being rotated through its entire arc. I don't think this will be an issue, as the left visor is used only when the sun is low and the visor is rotated only down to the vertical position.

View attachment 330119
Mirror is shifted to left, so it clears the right visor entirely, but prevents the left visor from being rotated through its entire arc. I don't think this will be an issue, as the left visor is used only when the sun is low and the visor is rotated only down to the vertical position.
While the original mirror is a bit small, it doesn't bother me, and I really like how it looks especially with the small bezels. This thing... not so much.
It looks like you could pop the existing mirror off of the ball joint. Can you find another mirror with the same ball socket size?