Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view mirror constantly dirty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My rear view camera is constantly getting dirty. It seems like any kind of rain or snow will cause dirty water spots to dry up on the lens causing a very suboptimal view. I am constantly getting out and wiping it with my thumb. Is the placement of the camera that bad or am I just unlucky? Any possible solutions? I was thinking maybe Rain-X?

My rear view camera is constantly getting dirty. It seems like any kind of rain or snow will cause dirty water spots to dry up on the lens causing a very suboptimal view. I am constantly getting out and wiping it with my thumb. Is the placement of the camera that bad or am I just unlucky? Any possible solutions? I was thinking maybe Rain-X?
Yeah, people have used RainX and other similar products to try to keep it clean, but it is what it is. I just wipe it with my thumb whenever I pass by. The cam is in a low-pressure area so the dirt and moisture will suck back and give the car a dirty butt, and of course, a dirty camera.

A thumb? Keep a micro fiber in the car. If you rub it with your thumb you're just scraping the dirt on the lens and leaving it coated with skin oil - which attracts more dirt!
yeah, I'm gonna carry a microfiber with me. Not. The rear lens is not some Leica or Hasselblad camera lens, so, I'm not going to go all crazy about worrying about a little dust rubbed over the glass. I doubt my skin oil is going to make the amount of dust coating the back of my car any more or less. There are lots of things to worry about, worrying about any micro-scratches caused by my thumb vs a microfiber and skin oil attracting more dust is not worth my trouble. After 20yrs, I bet if you took two Model 3's, one having its rear camera rubbed by a thumb vs one rubbed with a microfiber cloth, I doubt anyone could tell the difference given the low-resolution of the camera. You do it your way, i'll do it mine.

Reactions: DanTeSX
Of course, a person could just wipe it with a microfiber cloth in the garage before they leave if they are so opposed to carrying a microfiber cloth with them. A clean lens will stay clean longer.
The problem is not before you start a trip, but the dust and water that accumulate while driving and when you get somewhere, having a dirty lens as you try to back up into your garage, or a parking spot at work, etc. Funny thing is, I do carry an eyeglass cleaning cloth in my pocket, at all times, but I'm not going to use that to clean the rear camera lens. Wiping the lens with my gloved thumb is easy and efficient and makes no difference to the amount of dust attracted to the lens or the quality of the image due to micro-scratching. Yes, many people wear gloves in winter when there's a greater chance of snow being plastered on the back or sand causing a dirty butt.