Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear View Mirror Dark WITHOUT Headlights Shining In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my new MYP Red Black and the rearview mirror is dark daytime or night without headlights beaming from the rear, making it to hard to see the traffic in the rear window or rear obstacles when backing the car. Have looked for auto-dim controls (like I have in my Dodge Charger SRT8) but haven't found any. Is there a fault with my new Tesla autodimming requiring Tesla service call or a possible adjustemnt I could do ? Thanks for advice, Bud.

Tesla mirror dimming is based on ambient outdoor light, unlike most other companies that dim the mirror when the mirror senses headlights behind you. It's normal for Tesla mirrors to be dark anytime it's dark outside.

Congrats on the new car. Red/black Y is a great look.

That would be awesome. I have window tint and I don't need them darker at night.
Same. I also learned the dimming mirrors only work depending on whatever clock they use to determine night time. There are some mornings when it is dark outside but the screen turns white. When that happens (car has decided it is daytime) then the mirror dimming turns off.

Just got my new MYP Red Black and the rearview mirror is dark daytime or night without headlights beaming from the rear, making it to hard to see the traffic in the rear window or rear obstacles when backing the car. Have looked for auto-dim controls (like I have in my Dodge Charger SRT8) but haven't found any. Is there a fault with my new Tesla autodimming requiring Tesla service call or a possible adjustemnt I could do ? Thanks for advice, Bud.
I know it says the inside rear view mirror is auto-dimming based on light conditions, but with the tint on the rear glass (and the fact that the mirror is basically useless anyway) I haven't had an issue with it....

Reactions: Schulz1983
OK I thought I was going nuts when I noticed that the interior and exterior rearview mirrors were dimmed all the time when it's dark out. So that's intentional?? That doesn't make any sense at all, and is (ineffectively) different from every other vehicle with auto-dimming mirrors. It also doesn't seem like the mirrors un-dim when you put the car in reverse, which is also (ineffectively) different from other vehicles with auto-dimming mirrors. Now I'm understanding why so many folks are welcoming the option to turn off auto-dimming in the latest software release. I like that Tesla does a lot of things different than legacy automakers, but sometimes it really feels like they do different just for the sake of different, and they fail in the process.

OK I thought I was going nuts when I noticed that the interior and exterior rearview mirrors were dimmed all the time when it's dark out. So that's intentional?? That doesn't make any sense at all, and is (ineffectively) different from every other vehicle with auto-dimming mirrors. It also doesn't seem like the mirrors un-dim when you put the car in reverse, which is also (ineffectively) different from other vehicles with auto-dimming mirrors. Now I'm understanding why so many folks are welcoming the option to turn off auto-dimming in the latest software release. I like that Tesla does a lot of things different than legacy automakers, but sometimes it really feels like they do different just for the sake of different, and they fail in the process.
Except I think that option only applies to the outside mirrors. When you access that functionality, it only shows the outside mirrors, not the inside.

The mirrors do un-dim when shifting to reverse.

Reactions: NBCGLX
Except I think that option only applies to the outside mirrors. When you access that functionality, it only shows the outside mirrors, not the inside.
That seems unlikely to me, as I do not have auto-dimming exterior mirrors (early build) but the option to disable auto dimming is still there. Haven't driven in the dark so not 100% certain what it will do. But it would be a stupid bug if the switch is there but it doesn't do anything.

That seems unlikely to me, as I do not have auto-dimming exterior mirrors (early build) but the option to disable auto dimming is still there. Haven't driven in the dark so not 100% certain what it will do. But it would be a stupid bug if the switch is there but it doesn't do anything.
I suspect it's all in the interests of maintaining as few versions of the SW as possible... And the rear view mirror (inside) isn't really connected to anything else in the car, electrically speaking.

Just put a post on this wrong place sorry.

GREAT if the next update solves this. It should be on a rear sensor not time. Dim ONLY when need to by faulty headlights. Rather get dazzled than driving blinded all the time.

When is it due

Had my 3LR a month and now nights are drawing in so feeling the night driving.

Its dangerous just to have them go dim for no reason, as you cant see majority of the traffic. No way will you see cyclists especially with no lights. Blind spot is a problem especially near side and effectively loosing the mirrors makes it very difficult. This morning trying to move into a near side lane had some one try to undertake, did not notice him at all. It the mirrors were not dim I would have seen his headlight throw.
Also if you pull up for waiting to reverse you cant see behind so some one may be walking past. OK just read that if you put it in reverse it un dims but you loose some vision for a period.
I may be driving with the cameras on the screen at night now until the update.