Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear View Mirror Not Dimming

z06tim

Sep 10, 2019
Maryland
Just got the car last month. Aren't these things suppose to have dimming rear view mirrors? This morning it was still fairly dark out and this work van behind me had his high beams blasting me the whole drive into work. No dim whatsoever.

mtndrew1

May 12, 2015
Gardena, CA
Just got the car last month. Aren't these things suppose to have dimming rear view mirrors? This morning it was still fairly dark out and this work van behind me had his high beams blasting me the whole drive into work. No dim whatsoever.

Mirror dimming in this car is based on ambient light as determined by the autopilot cameras, not specific lights behind the car.

It’s a design decision I don’t like but that’s how it works.

• Informative
Reactions: z06tim

z06tim

Sep 10, 2019
Maryland
Mirror dimming in this car is based on ambient light as determined by the autopilot cameras, not specific lights behind the car.

Dang that sucks. My Golf R would dim perfectly based on the light hitting the rear view. I could pull out my cell turn on the flash and trick it into dimming. Soo much better then this implementation.

PS. It is a premium interior

BZM3

Aug 15, 2019
Somewhere

i'm unconvinced that my car has it, if it does it's minimally effective. The side rear views definitely do not.

z06tim

Sep 10, 2019
Maryland
Wasn't Elon just asking the other day for ideas of how to use that interior robotaxi camera? I just tweeted him my suggestion. Use it to control the rear view mirror dimming. If that is getting hit with bright lights, so are my eyes!

• Helpful
Reactions: araxara

mtndrew1

May 12, 2015
Gardena, CA
Wasn't Elon just asking the other day for ideas of how to use that interior robotaxi camera? I just tweeted him my suggestion. Use it to control the rear view mirror dimming. If that is getting hit with bright lights, so are my eyes!

They could also use the rear view camera to determine if bright lights are directly behind the car. A touchscreen slider for dimming threshold would also be welcome.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy

Puddles

Jun 2, 2017
Fresno, CA
Dang that sucks. My Golf R would dim perfectly based on the light hitting the rear view. I could pull out my cell turn on the flash and trick it into dimming. Soo much better then this implementation.

PS. It is a premium interior

Since we're invoking other manufacturers, my old Subaru's dimming mirror was awesome too. I love my Model 3, but I also miss my beloved Forester :(

I find the Tesla's auto dimming to be so anemic I can barely tell it's working.

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Since we're invoking other manufacturers, my old Subaru's dimming mirror was awesome too. I love my Model 3, but I also miss my beloved Forester :(

I find the Tesla's auto dimming to be so anemic I can barely tell it's working.

How odd. I find the auto dimming to be TOO effective, especially the side mirrors + my dark tint. I’d like to be able to disable the auto dimming on the side mirrors, or limit their dimming.

Compared to my 2016 Golf R’s rear-view mirror dimming I find the Model 3’s to be just as effective.

Ejl80

Dec 23, 2017
Nj
How odd. I find the auto dimming to be TOO effective, especially the side mirrors + my dark tint. I’d like to be able to disable the auto dimming on the side mirrors, or limit their dimming.

Compared to my 2016 Golf R’s rear-view mirror dimming I find the Model 3’s to be just as effective.
Agreed... I want my mirrors to STOP dimming.

Jul 15, 2019
Cincinnati
one of the biggest IT/developer mistakes i often see is the lack of "customer escape". if there's no "other" option or a way to turn something off, it's poor design IMO.

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
one of the biggest IT/developer mistakes i often see is the lack of "customer escape". if there's no "other" option or a way to turn something off, it's poor design IMO.

Can’t argue. My biggest no-option gripes are the mirror dimming (rear and side) and the speed-dependent volume for the sound system. Why can’t I turn that off or lower its sensitivity?

z06tim

Sep 10, 2019
Maryland

Funny, we are coming from the same car. I traded my 2017 Golf R in for the Tesla. My Tesla is no where near as effective at dimming but I did have 20% tint on the Golf R and no tint on the Tesla because it has the white interior and didn't feel the need

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Funny, we are coming from the same car. I traded my 2017 Golf R in for the Tesla. My Tesla is no where near as effective at dimming but I did have 20% tint on the Golf R and no tint on the Tesla because it has the white interior and didn't feel the need

Yeah not fair to compare. 20% tint is pretty aggressive (and borderline dangerous) at times, depending on the ambient light. Even with my 25% tint all round it’s hard to see out at night, especially when the mirrors aggressively dim and there’s little in the way of streetlights.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC