Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear View mirror question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know it's not just me. I've installed blindspot mirrors on the left and right side view mirrors. This helps some, but I'd still like the rear view mirror to be usable. What they really ought to do is make the rear view mirror a display screen that shows what the rear camera is seeing. This would be much more useful.

I found the same problem with my new Raven model X. I couldn't see well from the rear view mirror. I think it is because the center seat headrest is in the way and the back window is too small. I bought a rear view camera/mirror dash cam which goes over the rear view mirror. I put the rear camera on the outside, under the rear spoiler so it doesn't get as wet or dirty as the Tesla camera above the license plate. I ran the wires up to the mirror unit. The picture is so bright and clear I don't know why Tesla doesn't have it on all their cars. It acts as a front and back dash cam that you can play back right on the screen or you can bring the micro SD card in and play the video back on a computer. Definitely worth $80.00.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZ1D226/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: puhiniho
I found the same problem with my new Raven model X. I couldn't see well from the rear view mirror. I think it is because the center seat headrest is in the way and the back window is too small. I bought a rear view camera/mirror dash cam which goes over the rear view mirror. I put the rear camera on the outside, under the rear spoiler so it doesn't get as wet or dirty as the Tesla camera above the license plate. I ran the wires up to the mirror unit. The picture is so bright and clear I don't know why Tesla doesn't have it on all their cars. It acts as a front and back dash cam that you can play back right on the screen or you can bring the micro SD card in and play the video back on a computer. Definitely worth $80.00.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZ1D226/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks intriguing...curious does the rearview mirror affect the visor magnetically locking in or affecting its operation? Would you mind sharing some photos of your install? (On the mirror and rear cameras install) thanks!

I installed the camera under the model X spoiler which keeps it dry when it rains or snows and it stays cleaner than the license plate area because it is farther off the ground.
20200210_005444.jpg

I drove home in the rain tonight and the Tesla camera picture was blocked by water drops, this camera was dry. All the rear cameras need to be up here.
20200210_005517.jpg

The passenger visor does not bump the mirror unit. The driver one will bump as you swing it around unless you rotate it horizontal before you clip it in place.
20200210_010023.jpg

Once in place, it can be used normally and the smaller part can flip down without bumping the mirror.
20200210_010101.jpg

The picture quality of both front and back cameras is amazing. I didn't install the wire to the backup light because I didn't need another backup camera, the Tesla one is great as a wide angle camera. This one I use as a rear view mirror, I leave it on all the time I'm driving.

Did they change this? I used to run the rear cam all the time as a blind spot "mirror" and loved it. I'd be sad if they took away that ability now.

No change, the camera does display all the time unless another full screen app opens up (web browser, phone dialer, etc...). You have to reopen the camera from the bottom menu as it doesn't always come back up, unlike the music bar.

same here

i have the 12" version of that with the rear facing camera at the top of the trunk glass

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WVXLSFR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_20200212_065156.jpg
IMG_20200212_065230.jpg
Screenshot_20200212_064604.jpg

Screenshot_20200212_070125.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
I installed the camera under the model X spoiler which keeps it dry when it rains or snows and it stays cleaner than the license plate area because it is farther off the ground. View attachment 509792

I drove home in the rain tonight and the Tesla camera picture was blocked by water drops, this camera was dry. All the rear cameras need to be up here.
View attachment 509793
The passenger visor does not bump the mirror unit. The driver one will bump as you swing it around unless you rotate it horizontal before you clip it in place.
View attachment 509794
Once in place, it can be used normally and the smaller part can flip down without bumping the mirror.
View attachment 509795
The picture quality of both front and back cameras is amazing. I didn't install the wire to the backup light because I didn't need another backup camera, the Tesla one is great as a wide angle camera. This one I use as a rear view mirror, I leave it on all the time I'm driving.
Hi, I bought the exact same camera but it was branded by Dmyco (on Amazon).
https://www.amazon.com/DMYCO-Versio...m&qid=1585797696&sprefix=dmyco,aps,214&sr=8-3
It is truly awesome based upon my trial runs today during the day and at dusk. During the day, the view behind me seen through the rear view mirror appears to be the same brightness as provided by the built-in rear camera. At dusk, the view in the rear view mirror was significantly brighter and clearer than even the Tesla rear camera.

MY PROBLEM: for testing purposes, I ran the rear camera wire to the area under the spoiler simply by sticking it out the window and taping it in place. For my permanent solution, I can't for the life of me figure out how to properly run the wiring to this location. Robwoodruff or anyone else, can you possibly share how you did this or would do this?

Forkee mentioned mounting the rear camera inside the rear hatch, pointing out through the glass. When I did that, the image was nowhere near as sharp and it was significantly darker.

For anyone bothered by how dark everything looks in the rear view mirror, this is an awesome solution - if only we can get the wiring figured out.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to run a wire through the rear hatch on the Model X, or who would be best suited to do it for me? I’m worried that most car stereo installation folks will have little experience doing this on a Model X.