Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view mirror -- "wide mode"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

We took delivery of our MS in December (2015) - love it! Never did a test drive!

One surprise is that the rear view mirror has intentional distortion - cars are wide and flat. Is this a new feature? I asked a friend who has a 60 (couple years old I think), and his doesn't distort the rear view.

Thanks in advance!

Rear view mirror -- "wide mode"?

One surprise is that the rear view mirror has intentional distortion - cars are wide and flat. Is this a new feature?
I have not noticed any such distortion in my Dec 2013 S rear view mirror. I will have to look again...
UPDATE: I spent many hours on the road today (January 2nd) and had ample opportunity to evaluate this issue. I found that with cars in my rear quarter view I could angle the rear view mirror and compare its view to the side mirror view of the same car. And yes, the rear view does tend to slightly compress vertically and expand horizontally compared to the side view mirror.
And my conclusion is...it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:
Hi all,

We took delivery of our MS in December (2015) - love it! Never did a test drive!

One surprise is that the rear view mirror has intentional distortion - cars are wide and flat. Is this a new feature? I asked a friend who has a 60 (couple years old I think), and his doesn't distort the rear view.

Thanks in advance!

I do not know if this is new, but I have read elsewhere it is used to help get rid of blind-spots. I have been testing this feature and it does cover the blind spots pretty well (I compare to the side mirrors, adjusted to cover the blindspots, as well as looking over my shoulders). Yes the cars looks funny, and as they say "objects are closer than they appear". Many times I think the car behind me is a safe distance (using camera), and then when I look through the back window he/she is right on my butt. All in all, I think the wide angle camera is a good thing, especially since it covers the blindspots pretty well.

Also I've noticed that the camera picks up ambient light at night really well. Images are brighter at night than expected. My wife and kids noticed, and really like.

Congrats on the recent delivery! You'll love it!