Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear View Visibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
My wife and I are very happy owners of a Model 3, and we were certain that when our LEAF reaches EOL or thereabouts, we would replace it with a (then available) 400 mile range Model Y. Well ... until I took a test drive and was disappointed by the view in the rear view mirror. I had a chance a few weeks later to sit in a Model Y in a Tesla Gallery and came away with the same poor impression. I'm still not even sure why the visibility is poor compared to my Model 3. I tried lowering the back seats but that made no difference.

I've looked around the forum for other discussion on this topic and don't find any. Non issue for everybody ? Just something to adapt to ? Easy solution that I am missing ? No difference from the Model 3 and I am delusional ?

Chime in !

I don't have a Tesla yet, but this - MY poor rear view visibility - is a known and acknowledged issue. The visibility is poorer than M3 due to the hatch-back design. And it seems that people just get by with it (grudgingly).

For MX, I've also read of people using a digital rear mirror, connected to some kind of (wifi?) camera installed right under the spoiler. Not sure exactly how it's all done, though.

Reactions: SageBrush
Yeah, it reminds me of my '73 Ford Maverick, which had a similar large window but it was almost horizontal so you got slit vision. The M3 has a bit of a trunk, so I think the window is a little more vertical than the MY, which is a true fastback. It's not an issue for me. I always look all around before I reverse, then use the (excellent) backup camera. I forgive it because, frankly, I love the styling of the back!

It's a non-issue for me. It's definitely worse than it is in our Model 3 -- that's because of the pillar placement. The Model Y has a horizontal pillar at the top of the rear window that cuts off the view -- the Model 3 doesn't have that pillar. Between the side mirrors, the view out the rear view mirror and the cameras, I've never felt like I couldn't see what was going on behind me.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
There's another relevant thread (Did the blind spot monitoring just got worse), but I'll repeat:

You're literally doing it wrong.

My wife and I are very happy owners of a Model 3, and we were certain that when our LEAF reaches EOL or thereabouts, we would replace it with a (then available) 400 mile range Model Y. Well ... until I took a test drive and was disappointed by the view in the rear view mirror. I had a chance a few weeks later to sit in a Model Y in a Tesla Gallery and came away with the same poor impression. I'm still not even sure why the visibility is poor compared to my Model 3. I tried lowering the back seats but that made no difference.

I've looked around the forum for other discussion on this topic and don't find any. Non issue for everybody ? Just something to adapt to ? Easy solution that I am missing ? No difference from the Model 3 and I am delusional ?

Chime in !
No problem for reverse -- I love the camera.
My issue is knowing what is behind me before I switch lanes. My subjective worry is having a big blind spot behind me.

You’ll only notice it during your first few drives. I had the same concern coming from a 3 and totally forgot about it after like 5 drives....till now that I read this post. You'll get used to it and barely use your rear view mirror anyway. Trust me, you’ll love this car if you’re looking for more space and height. It’s a dream. I missed my 3 for a couple of weeks and fell in love.