Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear visibility compared to the new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
Over on the MY forum, Georgia_Y was kind enough to post the picture below. This shows the rear view mirror of a Model Y, taken from where the driver's eyes would be. I'd appreciate it if am M3 owner could post the same view from their car as a comparison. When I test drove an M3, I was happy with the rear visibility, but found the MS to look like a porthole. An M3 pic will really help understand the MY view. Thanks!

Attachments

• Model Y rear view mirror.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 1,029
Over on the MY forum, Georgia_Y was kind enough to post the picture below. This shows the rear view mirror of a Model Y, taken from where the driver's eyes would be. I'd appreciate it if am M3 owner could post the same view from their car as a comparison. When I test drove an M3, I was happy with the rear visibility, but found the MS to look like a porthole. An M3 pic will really help understand the MY view. Thanks!
Well, very similar to the Model 3, I would recommend getting
- a larger rear view mirror (Broadway BW742 240mm Flat Mirror)
- a side blind spot mirror (Fouring Wide Angle Rear View Multi Blind Spot Mirror)

81IJZQhE9VL._AC_SL1444_.jpg

71Pc7zYCE0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Well, very similar to the Model 3, I would recommend getting
- a larger rear view mirror (Broadway BW742 240mm Flat Mirror)
- a side blind spot mirror (Fouring Wide Angle Rear View Multi Blind Spot Mirror)

81IJZQhE9VL._AC_SL1444_.jpg

71Pc7zYCE0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

From the pic I included, it looks like the MY mirror is only half filled with the rear window, so a bigger mirror won't help. The issue is the restricted view out the back window. When someone shares the same pic from an M3, maybe it'll look the same and I won't worry about the MY view. In person, I was happy with the M3 visibility.

I'll try to grab a photo later. In virus lockdown mode now so not driving the car much. I will say I don't have any problem with my mirrors. With them properly positioned I can see cars move from my rear view mirror, still showing in the rear view, and into my side view mirrors at the same time. To be clearer--so for a period of time am able to see part of the lane changing car in both mirrors at the same time. Which is what you want to be able to see -- the continuality of movement behind and then to the left or right.

BTW your image in your original post doesn't show up for me at all.

I'll try to grab a photo later. In virus lockdown mode now so not driving the car much. I will say I don't have any problem with my mirrors. With them properly positioned I can see cars move from my rear view mirror, still showing in the rear view, and into my side view mirrors at the same time. To be clearer--so for a period of time am able to see part of the lane changing car in both mirrors at the same time. Which is what you want to be able to see -- the continuality of movement behind and then to the left or right.

BTW your image in your original post doesn't show up for me at all.

Any pic from where the driver's eyes would be, even of your garage door in the mirror, would be helpful. I'm not sure why the pic I posted showed up as a link vs the picture...

Tried to line the camera lens up near my eyes and double checked what I was able to see in my mirror relative to the photos and think it's pretty representative. When I look in my rear view mirror I see both right and left rear inside window framing so have a full view of the rear window. Found this empty street area with no traffic behind me which had some road markings on it which I thought would be visually helpful. Was centered in my lane pretty much I think. ;)

75D6822E-82C9-4B98-935C-304F46BBD175.jpeg

B984F256-D354-4CF2-BC15-C9381BDDED9D.jpeg

77F35D5D-7A51-4A07-B2C4-891606DE628C.jpeg

Here’s another view from the rear view mirror. The darker shaded part is the tinting (as delivered in car).

D58AA348-784B-45D5-97EE-82E41EB34DEF.jpeg

I just thought of it now looking at the photos and the Model Y one and I had my rear seat down in that photo which is why you see the trunk cover piece but no rear head rests. If you want I can take another photo with the rear seat area up.

I really appreciate the help. It looks like the view from the non-tinted portion of the M3 window and the window of the MY are similar. When driving, do you use the dark tinted portion of the rear window for visibility, or would driving visibility be the same if it was blacked out? Your 2nd pic has the non-tinted portion of the view at the top of the mirror, which looks a lot like the MY. Your 4th pic has the window filling the mirror, which is what I'm used to in my other vehicles.

I really appreciate the help. It looks like the view from the non-tinted portion of the M3 window and the window of the MY are similar. When driving, do you use the dark tinted portion of the rear window for visibility, or would driving visibility be the same if it was blacked out? Your 2nd pic has the non-tinted portion of the view at the top of the mirror, which looks a lot like the MY. Your 4th pic has the window filling the mirror, which is what I'm used to in my other vehicles.

Compared to SMAIset's 2nd picture I do have my mirror showing a little less of the trunk cover and a little more of the tinted portion. But I would say I don't use the dark portion for visibility. During the day it just shows me the sky and at night the autodimming means I can't see thru it anyway.

Compared to SMAIset's 2nd picture I do have my mirror showing a little less of the trunk cover and a little more of the tinted portion. But I would say I don't use the dark portion for visibility. During the day it just shows me the sky and at night the autodimming means I can't see thru it anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the MY rear visibility is similar to the M3 then. I didn't like the view from the Model S. The M3 looked good to me, so it sounds like the MY will be just fine.

Here’s 2 more photos with my rear seats up. What you see is also very dependent in how high and far back you place your driver seat and how you position your rear view mirror. Hopefully this gives you a better idea.

In the second photo if you zoom in you can see the rim of the dimming rear view mirror and also a partial rim on the side view mirror at the bottom. I don’t find that my mirrors auto dim too dark to cause problems for me at night. Like I said I haven’t had issues setting up my mirrors to catch cars behind me change lanes and maintain sight of them as they cross into my side mirrors.

5CF05254-2AB8-4004-B2DA-81133AF7ADF8.jpeg

995DB9D5-2F7B-412E-BE81-3EAD2F0F1926.jpeg

I didn’t add any extra tinting to any of my windows, and while I know others have, I don’t advise it from the standpoint that at night with the auto dimming mirrors especially I’ve heard it can be harder to see vehicles in the mirrors. And if you are starting to get cataracts it could also be an issue. But your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I will say looking at that YT video image that the camera taking that photo isn't at the person's eye level so would expect it to catch more of the frame. The camera should be much lower and so it's hard to say what the camera/eye view would be if taken like my photos posted above. Just saying I wouldn't necessarily judge based on that image. Also as mentioned how low or high your seat is, how tall you sit in the seat and how you adjust you mirror angle will affect the view in the rear view mirror. Best way clearly will be to sit in the car and set it to your body.