Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-Wheel Drive Available for Immediate Delivery to 1st Day Reservationists

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Son's account just got this email:

Model3a.JPG

When he clicked it, it goes into the configurator and says RWD "Delivery within 4 weeks".

Looks like they built too many of this version?

He'll pass since he's waiting for the normal range version.

Batch build for later sell is not building too many. That implies a mistake versus planning.

Every single auto does this. Tesla has to get to the point of capturing same day impulse buyers. It takes inventory to do this.

Okay, but they didn't "batch build" enough of these, did they?

View attachment 333273
AWD is selling like hotcake even in CA, just wow.

Note "on display". Are these showroom display models? If so are the interiors trashed? Are they being refurbished?

I just got the same email but I don't want a dirty display car.

I think Tesla is just trying another route of getting car delivered instead of the typical appointment/delivery.

Does the email/link say when this is happening? Or are you just supposed to show up ASAP (per the note that they will be expanding the invite to non day 1 reservations tomorrow)? Anyone in Maryland receive one of these?

I think Tesla delivery org is finally catching up to the mass produced car model. Thus far they were operating on a custom car delivery model for Model S and X. With the Model 3, they have to re-engineer their delivery process just as they are re-engineering their production. Mass produce a bunch of what would be the most popular config and invite reservation holders to come in, see them and pick the one they like or wait for the next batch of mass produced vehicles or place a custom config order.

I know some of the members on the forum are freaking out seeing this behavior change from Tesla but IMHO this is good for Tesla. It is in alignment with the mass produced car model.