Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear wheels "Cupping" on 20" w/ Michelins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After delivery last July I was not particularly happy with the tire noise or harsher ride (prefer comfort), so I purchased Michelins from the SvC but only because nobody else could access the proper rated tire. I did not really notice any difference from the Continentals (So don't waste your money like I did), but these now have about 5K on them.

For the last several days I noticed a "whomp, whomp, womp" sound coming from my rear left tire, as if a weight fell off and the wheel was unbalanced.

Before trekking to the SvC, I stopped by Discount Tires to make sure it was safe to do so, or perhaps they could balance the wheel there.

He quickly observed I had uneven wear on the 2 rear wheels, not just more outside over the inside, but also "cuppin" on the inside, even I could feel it.

I typically keep the suspension on "Standard" when I set it but have it set for "always" lower at speed.

I know about the camber, thus the need for side/side rotation.

This is really disappointing especially when you can only buy proper rated tires from Tesla, and if this is what the car does to the tires over just 5K miles, I am NOT HAPPY. Perhaps it was defective tires, but unlikely.

Gonna stop by SvC tomorrow, I expect them to resolve this

Anybody else have this?

Cupping on the inside of the tread is often caused by under-inflation of the tire ; cupping on the outside is usually suspension related. Hard to tell without seeing the tire. A tire/suspension expert should be able to help you determine what the cause is - it is certainly not normal at 5K.

Reactions: DaddyP713
This is really disappointing especially when you can only buy proper rated tires from Tesla, and if this is what the car does to the tires over just 5K miles, I am NOT HAPPY. Perhaps it was defective tires, but unlikely.

Gonna stop by SvC tomorrow, I expect them to resolve this

Anybody else have this?
I've not experienced this problem (~28K miles on original 20" Continentals), but you can buy exact replacements at TireRack.com.

17K on Conti-Silents with plenty of tread left and even wear. I swapped them for the Michelins that came with my P90 shortly after delivery and found the Conti's to be much quieter than the Michelins. 20" wheels BTW

So here is the follow up.....

It is well known that Tesla designs the wheels to be cambered (tilted) out, and this increases as the suspension height lowers, like based on the setting to lower display either always, only above a set speed, or never. Mine setting was as it came from the factory, on Always.

So they checked and my wheel were out of alignment, but not by very much (approx 5% from standard).

Plus, I just completed a 2K mile highway road trip, and I average over 80 MPH when possible, like 80% of the time.

So being that Michelins are known to have a softer rubber, theoretically giving it a quieter and smoother ride, my recent trip and driving style caused "excessive" wear on the tires, essentially ruining them, since the best I can do now is rotate them to the other side (typically not recommended), yet this will result in an angled as opposed to a rounded tread.
The cupping may or may not resolve over time, so I may have to put up with the "womp, womp,womp" until replaced.

As I stated, nobody but Tesla could get and sell the correct weight rated tire (105 - 2039 lbs) from Michelin (still true, don't be misled) , but I think these tires are not handling the weight as they should.

Fortunately, the original Continental tires (which are actually rated for more weight) offered the same performance and ride as the Michelins, and being a harder rubber this is not occurring with them, but Tesla SvC guys did mention they are seeing accelerated wear on Michelins... yet they continue to sell them...so Buyer Beware

Of course, the SvC was not interested in replacing the tires on warranty, since "that's the cost of driving a premium vehicle", and did not feel that 5K was too soon to have to replace the tires... WTH???

AVOID MICHELIN TIRES ON A MODEL X, and if you do have them and drive fast on highways, change the suspension setting to reduce lowering your suspension at highway speeds, as I will do and take the micro-percentage battery hit on aerodynamics.

17K on Conti-Silents with plenty of tread left and even wear. I swapped them for the Michelins that came with my P90 shortly after delivery and found the Conti's to be much quieter than the Michelins. 20" wheels BTW

I did not notice a difference at all between the two, but it's all within the ears of the beholder...Beware of putting those Michelins back on if you kept them, just be prepared for early wear.

Cupping on the inside of the tread is often caused by under-inflation of the tire ; cupping on the outside is usually suspension related. Hard to tell without seeing the tire. A tire/suspension expert should be able to help you determine what the cause is - it is certainly not normal at 5K.

My tires are inflated as recommended, and nobody who claimed to be a "tire expert" either at Discount Tires or Tesla could explain it, but clearly the car did it to the tires.

I've not experienced this problem (~28K miles on original 20" Continentals), but you can buy exact replacements at TireRack.com.

Not Michelins Latitude or Primacy at the 105Y rating, I guarantee it, cause I just checked, Continentals not a problem, but unless you pay up to $100 per tire more for Conti-Silents, you won't get the "worthless" foam strip designed to make the wheels more quiet.