Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window film Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone recommend a tint shop that has done the entire rear window of a model 3 with a reasonable price. Preferably in the Orange Riverside and San Berdo counties. Thanks. everyone. [email protected]

The Tint Pros in Newport Beach. Call and talk to Jason, he will give you the full details. They did my 3 in one piece and do MANY Teslas. They also did my P100D. Nothing but great guys with reasonable pricing.

The Tint Pros - Newport - Newport Beach, CA

Reactions: EliteFinish
Can anyone recommend a tint shop that has done the entire rear window of a model 3 with a reasonable price. Preferably in the Orange Riverside and San Berdo counties. Thanks. everyone. [email protected]

Did a search on Prestige's dealer locator. If you want the best tint in the industry, Spectra Photosync, give these guys a ring. Speak with Bing and let him know we sent you.

Extreme Autowerks
16319 Piuma Ave., Cerritos, CA

Phone: (562) 551-8070
Email: [email protected]

Here is Prestige's Dealer locator if you want the best tint in the industry, Spectra Photosync.

Dealer Locator | Prestige

AA661842-476D-448D-8056-26DF1FC78B41.jpeg
2B9FB17B-ABC1-4FFD-97E1-FA74EB4E77A2.jpeg
34DF66A9-A98D-4E95-B367-0982CF243DDA.jpeg
274442BA-7CD2-40E9-97D6-A699B4DCF589.jpeg
I've seen a Model 3 whose tint started at the end of the factory-installed tint. It looked good from the outside. But from the inside, I thought it looked horrible. Just my opinion. The owner didn't mind it at all.
I went to a 3M crystalline installer. I asked if he could get the whole back rear window. He said due to the curvature and size, it would not be possible with crystalline. He said it shouldn't be noticable. Cr40 sides and back. After the install, it was like the above poster: not obvious from outside but inside it is a pretty obvious line even though the tint comes right up even past the tint fade transition point. I am wondering if there is a comparable film that's just as good as crystalline that can go up higher. He said he could do a lower quality film to go up higher but still not the full piece of glass. He balked at the notion any one could do this well. I kept I'm the cr40 in the rest for consistency and heat rejection. But I'll have to look at it every time I look out the rear view... Advice?

View attachment 290985 View attachment 290984 View attachment 290983 View attachment 290982
I went to a 3M crystalline installer. I asked if he could get the whole back rear window. He said due to the curvature and size, it would not be possible with crystalline. He said it shouldn't be noticable. Cr40 sides and back. After the install, it was like the above poster: not obvious from outside but inside it is a pretty obvious line even though the tint comes right up even past the tint fade transition point. I am wondering if there is a comparable film that's just as good as crystalline that can go up higher. He said he could do a lower quality film to go up higher but still not the full piece of glass. He balked at the notion any one could do this well. I kept I'm the cr40 in the rest for consistency and heat rejection. But I'll have to look at it every time I look out the rear view... Advice?

The best heat rejecting performance film in the industry Spectra Photosync.
Spectra PhotoSync® | Prestige
Lots of info on TMC as well. :)

In Socal, give these guys a ring.
Extreme Autowerks
16319 Piuma Ave., Cerritos, CA

Phone: (562) 551-8070
Email: [email protected]

Dealer Locator | Prestige

Hope this helps.

View attachment 290985 View attachment 290984 View attachment 290983 View attachment 290982

I have gone to 3 tint places in the IE. The first said they can do it in one piece but when I got there and they measured the window they changed their story. The second place wanted to look at the car. He said they could order larger tint from 3m and then never called me back. Both tried to tell me they could do the job in two pieces and that I wouldn’t notice but when I said “ok but if I notice you take it off and don’t charge me for it.” They both said no. I have read too many stories on here with people not liking it in two pieces. The third place does SunTek tint. I talked to the owner and he wanted to also look at the car as he had not done one yet. After I took it by he said to give him a day to do some research and call suntek to see if he could get tint that big. Called me the next day and confirmed that he could get the film and he talked to another shop that had done it in one piece. I am going back to get it done in a week or so.

FWIW I got it done in 1 piece with F1 Pinnacle by Smartfilm in AZ. He had to special order film to fit and was able to do 1 piece but it took 3 tries. He said he wouldn't do it in 1 piece again on the 3 because it was ridiculously hard. He assured me that they could do 2 piece along one of the defroster lines and said you wouldn't be able to see it. They are really good so I believe they could. Not sure about other shops.

I have gone to 3 tint places in the IE. The first said they can do it in one piece but when I got there and they measured the window they changed their story. The second place wanted to look at the car. He said they could order larger tint from 3m and then never called me back. Both tried to tell me they could do the job in two pieces and that I wouldn’t notice but when I said “ok but if I notice you take it off and don’t charge me for it.” They both said no. I have read too many stories on here with people not liking it in two pieces. The third place does SunTek tint. I talked to the owner and he wanted to also look at the car as he had not done one yet. After I took it by he said to give him a day to do some research and call suntek to see if he could get tint that big. Called me the next day and confirmed that he could get the film and he talked to another shop that had done it in one piece. I am going back to get it done in a week or so.

Hope it works out at that third place! Also if the work is good, definitely share the shop info.

I just saw a dark gray M3 on Hwy 80 east near Vacaville. Back window was fully tinted and had purple hues on top. It looked amazing. I want one.

Can anyone recommend a shop in Sacramento or Bay Area who can do this at a reasonable price range? I want it to look good from outside as well as inside.
Thank you

XPEL Austin factory shop did my Model 3 window film (XPEL Prime XR nano ceramic film 70%). No problem having the rear window done as one piece, and it was the same price as any normal car. If you live in a city with an XPEL factory shop (San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston) I would recommend it. I chose the 70% transmittince as I had on my Model S, as I wanted heat rejection without the tinted look, but they have all percentages available.

For those wondering what it looks like, here are some pics with 35% Xpel nano ceramic. (Don't worry; traffic was stopped). Not really any difference in terms of visibility or aesthetics. Though if you look straight up and compare the tinted portion to the untainted portion of the glass roof, there's a difference.

MVIMG_20180329_175337.jpg

MVIMG_20180329_175343.jpg

Rear view mirror shot
MVIMG_20180329_175356.jpg

Pic straight up. The right pane is the the back window.

IMG_20180329_175445.jpg

We had ours done last week by Jason from The Tint Lab here in San Diego (near the Trader Joe's on Mira Mesa). I wasn't going to review them...since I was thinking it's just tint. However, they did such an awesome job I have to mention them. We had ours done in 2 pieces. I spent 15 minutes today trying to figure out how he did it. I could not find the seam. He cut around the defroster lines, even following the part where it curves (he didn't just cut it straight across). It looks totally seamless. My picture of my dirty window doesn't do it justice. I think the seaming actually looks a bit more obvious in the picture. Also the childish red arrows are my handiwork, not Jason's :D.

SanDieg_TheTintLab.jpg

Reactions: LoL Rick
Will anyone that has had Spectra done on their 3 let me know how much it cost (pm me if posting costs is prohibited)? I'm planning on doing everything except the windshield and then doing
Llumar Air Blue/Air 80 on the windshield to be legal.

I know it probably varies by location. I'm in Florida so I'm assuming there is a lot of demand here.