Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window film Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will anyone that has had Spectra done on their 3 let me know how much it cost (pm me if posting costs is prohibited)? I'm planning on doing everything except the windshield and then doing
Llumar Air Blue/Air 80 on the windshield to be legal.

I know it probably varies by location. I'm in Florida so I'm assuming there is a lot of demand here.

Here is a dealer locator for the Spectra Network. Dealer Locator | Prestige

Reactions: Schowtyme
View attachment 290985 View attachment 290984 View attachment 290983 View attachment 290982
I went to a 3M crystalline installer. I asked if he could get the whole back rear window. He said due to the curvature and size, it would not be possible with crystalline. He said it shouldn't be noticable. Cr40 sides and back. After the install, it was like the above poster: not obvious from outside but inside it is a pretty obvious line even though the tint comes right up even past the tint fade transition point. I am wondering if there is a comparable film that's just as good as crystalline that can go up higher. He said he could do a lower quality film to go up higher but still not the full piece of glass. He balked at the notion any one could do this well. I kept I'm the cr40 in the rest for consistency and heat rejection. But I'll have to look at it every time I look out the rear view... Advice?

That's strange that a Crystalline installer said it wasn't possible in one piece. We commonly install Crystalline on the Model 3 rear window. Frankly it's not a difficult as the Model X windshield in Crystalline. I would suggest getting the tint replaced if it's going to bug you, a less expensive option would be going to 3M Color stable, and because of the IR technology on the rear window, you still retain a good amount of heat rejection. For the best consistency like you stated, stick with Crystalline, but find an installer than can perform the job in one piece. It absolutely is possible.

That's strange that a Crystalline installer said it wasn't possible in one piece. We commonly install Crystalline on the Model 3 rear window. Frankly it's not a difficult as the Model X windshield in Crystalline. I would suggest getting the tint replaced if it's going to bug you, a less expensive option would be going to 3M Color stable, and because of the IR technology on the rear window, you still retain a good amount of heat rejection. For the best consistency like you stated, stick with Crystalline, but find an installer than can perform the job in one piece. It absolutely is possible.
Thanks. I had to go with a different installer. One single piece of Formula One Pinnacle 35. Looks slightly different but not noticable compared to the existing crystalline cr40 on the sides.

The original crystalline installer -- Jae at Specialized Auto Tint in Irvine: 949-331-9100 -- must either just lack skill or is simply an idiot; he continued to say it was impossible even after I showed him photos and told him other shops were doing it. He asked me to come back after I got the rear window tinted in one piece so he could see and prove to me that I am somehow wrong. Even after he removed my rear window tint, he then told me I was wasting my money by removing the partial tint off the rear window and going somewhere else. Did not offer me any sort of refund or consolation for my unhappiness with his work. Who does this? I won't be going back to waste my time with this guy just to prove a point and show him how his skill is inferior to competitors, but please be my guest to give him a call or pay him a visit to troll him if you'd like. You can even mention I sent you. But don't give him any money because he won't give you anything but grief back. Lol

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick
I have gone to 3 tint places in the IE. The first said they can do it in one piece but when I got there and they measured the window they changed their story. The second place wanted to look at the car. He said they could order larger tint from 3m and then never called me back. Both tried to tell me they could do the job in two pieces and that I wouldn’t notice but when I said “ok but if I notice you take it off and don’t charge me for it.” They both said no. I have read too many stories on here with people not liking it in two pieces. The third place does SunTek tint. I talked to the owner and he wanted to also look at the car as he had not done one yet. After I took it by he said to give him a day to do some research and call suntek to see if he could get tint that big. Called me the next day and confirmed that he could get the film and he talked to another shop that had done it in one piece. I am going back to get it done in a week or so.
...what places did you go to and what was the end result..sorry if you mention in replies..I am ready thread from beginning..

I was quoted $2,200 + tax, by Extreme Autowerks. Just for tint. I congratulated them for being able to charge so much. Seriously, good for them!

What did that include? Front windshield too? My last quote from them had them cheaper than Premier's $1700 or so (all 4 sides + back in 1 piece) by a couple hundred bucks or so. Wondering if they raised prices.

They're really pricey, but if you want Spectra Photosync, you don't have a lot of options. There are VERY few dealers, whereas Crystalline seems to be a dime a dozen. All the Spectra installers have EXCELLENT reps though.

What did that include? Front windshield too? My last quote from them had them cheaper than Premier's $1700 or so (all 4 sides + back in 1 piece) by a couple hundred bucks or so. Wondering if they raised prices.

They're really pricey, but if you want Spectra Photosync, you don't have a lot of options. There are VERY few dealers, whereas Crystalline seems to be a dime a dozen. All the Spectra installers have EXCELLENT reps though.
I believe the price was for everything, including the windshield.

Maybe they do excellent work, but $2,200+ for window tint is just insane, IMHO.

Doing the windshield is certainly possible of all cars. There is a certain amount of prep work that is needed to ensure no water drips down to the fuse panels and computers. As for the Model 3 rear glass, it is quite a bit larger than a regular sedan's rear glass, which also means it is curvier. This increases the difficulty for all installers, so skill and experience here are important. Pick and choose companies that have done it before. If they ask to see your car first, then that means they have no experience with it....best to not be a guinea pig.