Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Window Full tint problems and negative experience at oakville tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short i had my tints done july 2019 2 weeks ago i discovered a crack in the back window at first i thought it was the tint but after looking at it closer it was a crack in the middle of the glass... no hits from outside or inside
anyhow this tint cost me 350+ just for the rear window tint, full tint not half..
i take it to tesla and they confirmed it is a stress crack etc and they will replace it, I picked up the car today and tesla left me scratches on both rear doors ( most likely installer having a belt buckle while working on the car)
i msgd them and no response, its end of the month ;( ... so i am out $350 for my tint my car has scratches on both doors
and to add more to this, everytime i turn on the defroster i notice the glass gets hazy/ wavy
there is a thread on it as well and it seems like its a known issue that people just accept???..
end of rant

Do you have a picture of the crack by any chance? I noticed something strange in the back of my window too, but hoped it was some sort of sensor or something for the defrost. My initial concern was that it was a crack and now I'm more worried it is.

Do you have a picture of the crack by any chance? I noticed something strange in the back of my window too, but hoped it was some sort of sensor or something for the defrost. My initial concern was that it was a crack and now I'm more worried it is.
thumbnail_image1.jpg

Long story short i had my tints done july 2019 2 weeks ago i discovered a crack in the back window at first i thought it was the tint but after looking at it closer it was a crack in the middle of the glass... no hits from outside or inside
anyhow this tint cost me 350+ just for the rear window tint, full tint not half..
i take it to tesla and they confirmed it is a stress crack etc and they will replace it, I picked up the car today and tesla left me scratches on both rear doors ( most likely installer having a belt buckle while working on the car)
i msgd them and no response, its end of the month ;( ... so i am out $350 for my tint my car has scratches on both doors
and to add more to this, everytime i turn on the defroster i notice the glass gets hazy/ wavy
there is a thread on it as well and it seems like its a known issue that people just accept???..
end of rant

Tesla uses laminated glass. You can see the 2 layers if you look at the top edge of the rear glass on the roof. The distortion is related to the laminated glass. I only got the 6 side windows tinted in July ‘18 as I was concerned about tinting the rear window after seeing the defroster distortion.

Had the same thing with a nice 3m tint. Tesla replaced the rear glass under warranty easy enough, but said they don’t cover cost for tint. Spoke with a few detailing and car guys and they seemed to think of a manufacturer defect caused me to lose my tint job that Tesla should offer to cover it. Thoughts on this? I’m wondering if I should push the issue or if I’m being unreasonable or if I’ll just wind up wasting my time and energy. What says the hive mind?

My take on it is that any aftermarket add-on, and most have at least some, is at our own risk. I just had my passenger side headlight replaced under warranty (Model 3 early build known issue). I also had the drivers side replaced within a month of delivery back in 2018. They both had professionally installed PPF on them. I didn't even bring it up as I knew I would be on the hook for it.
Just received a new 3M headlight/foglight PPF kit from No Chip Canada. I'll install it myself as the HL's are really simple to do.

Had the same thing with a nice 3m tint. Tesla replaced the rear glass under warranty easy enough, but said they don’t cover cost for tint. Spoke with a few detailing and car guys and they seemed to think of a manufacturer defect caused me to lose my tint job that Tesla should offer to cover it. Thoughts on this? I’m wondering if I should push the issue or if I’m being unreasonable or if I’ll just wind up wasting my time and energy. What says the hive mind?
If you are fighting to save money consider the amount of time it will take to get tesla to agree (even if they do agree) vs just paying for new tint and saving you the time.

If you are doing it out of principle because you believe you are right, then fight on.

If it were me, I'd hate it, but ultimately just re tint on my own dime. I've wasted too much time fighting things that are a few hundred bucks and end up spending tens of hours or more writing emails, calling, doing research, etc.

My $0.02....

Reactions: akidesir