TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear window needs a wiper

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Atebit, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Atebit

Atebit Member

Hard to see out of it in the rain

2. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I find a good coating of Aquapel helps considerably.

3. GDH

GDH Banned

Couldn't agree more, not just for rain but to clean it.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I prefer it as it is.... Clean without wiper!

5. Jeremy Gavin

Jeremy Gavin New Member

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I find the camera makes up for it (90% camera / 10% window). Even in the rain the camera is not bad if you put some hydrophobic cleaner on it. It would be better if there was a blower motor to get rid of the drops though.

7. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

I'd hate to see a wiper there.

8. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I do miss having a wiper as my two previous cars have had one, however I wouldn't want to see a wiper on the car because it would probably have an impact on the aerodynamics of the car (and is probably why there is no wiper), so Tesla would have to do something innovative to create a wiper that folds away out of sight when not in use.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

A wiper just wouldn't look right on the car and don't think it is a major issue anyway. Can always wipe it off easily at home.

10. Atebit

Atebit Member

:confused: At home? I'm talking about while driving.

I guess i can try RainX or something, but in the light rain I was in yesterday, I'm not sure it would help. It seems like you'd need a certain volume of water for it to start rolling off. The drops just "stuck" to the rear glass. Maybe the pollen was helping it stick?

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I meant in between drives a missed part about in the rain. Sorry :)

It doesn't seem to get bad enough on the road and you have the backup camera as an option. The window is so long the wiper would so small it likely wouldn't cover much of the window anyway. A wiper would be nice but try RainX as you suggested.

12. Phillymomof4

Phillymomof4 Member

When I was in a Tesla showroom in the mall yesterday telling her how much we loved our MS, I asked a rep there about the lack of a rear windshield wiper and she said most sedans don't have one. Hatchbacks and some crossovers and minivans do, but most sedans don't. Even though the MS is more hatchback than sedan, it still is sporty and can pass as a sedan. She didn't really elaborate, but it's probably an aesthetics thing—the whole minimal look and "fewer moving parts means less that can break is better" thing.

13. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

It has to do with the angle of the back glass. A low angle (like on sedans, and the Model S) get blown clean by driving forward. This keeps dirt to a minimum, and tends to keep the glass clear of water when driving.

Upright glass like on SUVs and traditional hatchbacks are upright, get lots of dirt build up on the window. Also rain and mist won't clear the window as easily when driving. Making them more in need of a rear wiper.

I still miss not having a rear wiper. I am not sure the Model S needs one, but I sure did like it when I had one.

14. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Me, too.

15. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a small spot where you could plug in a wiper arm when you needed it, and unplug it when you didn't?

16. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Easily fixed. Turn on the rear window heater. In 5 minutes the rear windows will be clean from rain and stay that way. Much more elegant than any wiper could be ;)