Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window tint advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I want to get my M3 tinted but after doing a little research and talking to tint shops, a lot of people don't recommend doing the entire rear window and only tinting half. Photos of half tint look great outside but I don't enjoy the inside look. Do most M3's get half tint? Has anyone experienced cracking with full tint? TIA!

I picked up my model 3 in Dec of 2018 and took it to get tinted all around (including the glass roof) with 3M Crystalline tint within about a week of picking it up. I still have it, and have not had any problems with the windows being tinted, including the back window in 1 piece.

I took my wifes 2022 Model Y, purchased in March of 2022, to be tinted at the same place, with the same tint, 3 days after picking it up. Its been a little over a year, and no issues.

I wouldnt have done half tint on back window on either of them, as I cant stand how that looks in the car. I would have either done what I did ( full tint, 1 piece) or not tinted them at all. I was told that a lot of shops dont carry the tint roll size needed for the large back windows of model 3s back when I did mine, not sure if thats still the case or not.

Hi all, I want to get my M3 tinted but after doing a little research and talking to tint shops, a lot of people don't recommend doing the entire rear window and only tinting half. Photos of half tint look great outside but I don't enjoy the inside look. Do most M3's get half tint? Has anyone experienced cracking with full tint? TIA!
I completely agree not to mention you sacrifice heat rejection by only doing half the window and every time someone gets their car they ask you why your back window looks like that. People do it because it’s a cheaper way of tinting the model 3
As far as Tinting the full back window, you need to take it to a shop that is very familiar with Tinting the roof panels on model Y and the back windows on model 3’s
When shrinking a back window you break it into four sections, on a model 3 or a model Y you need to break it into four sections, but dispense the heat by only shrinking 3 inches at a time alternating corners. I’ve personally tinted hundreds of model 3 without breaking a single back window.
A good shop will not be offended by you, asking them questions and expressing your concerns. Stay away from only doing the personal back window. It will only cost you money because you will regret it.

Reactions: Kimmi