Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window tint - anyone done it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is how a shop tinted mine. I'm glad I'm not OCD.

Attachments

• 20180705_154529.jpg
    20180705_154529.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 1,103
  • Helpful
Reactions: gambit48
Yikes! The transition from tinted to factory glass is jarring enough, but that weird cutout on the right side of the picture just looks absolutely unnecessary.
Haha. I posted that picture so people could see that it's not that bad. I actually dont mind it. It gives my car character. I actually dont notice it unless I am literally looking back at the rear window. The rear view mirror is so small I dont see the transition at all. On the plus side, I still maintained the factory tint level of the roof.

I ended up getting ceramic tinting done with 35% on the sides and 20% in the rear and in the rear glass, did not tint the windshield. Shop did the rear in 1 piece, had experience doing the model 3s already and I had it all done for $500. First time spending extra on ceramic but it seems to keep the car cooler. My only concern initially with 20% on the rear was diminished visibility out of the top portion of the glass and while it is more tinted and darker now I can still see the sky in daylight.

View attachment 304003 View attachment 304004 View attachment 304005
I am thinking about doing 20 on the rear glass. How do you like it? Can you good during the day and night?

I did 50% side windows, 70% windshield and 35% rear and top windows and i think it came out pretty good. I didn't want it to be too dark and i think it is just right for the rear; especially at night.

Attachments

• IMG_1175[1].JPG
    IMG_1175[1].JPG
    531.2 KB · Views: 952
  • IMG_1176[1].JPG
    IMG_1176[1].JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 908
  • IMG_1169[1].JPG
    IMG_1169[1].JPG
    616.8 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_1171[1].JPG
    IMG_1171[1].JPG
    643.3 KB · Views: 900
Reactions: daver6640
thanks for the recommendation! i just got it done there yesterday, same tint specs as yours. in at 10, done by 1050.

Glad it worked out for you.
I am thinking about doing 20 on the rear glass. How do you like it? Can you good during the day and night?

I'm glad I got 20 in the rear windows. Its a very hot summer in CA and the tint helps tremendously and visibility at night isn't that bad to me.

Auto Image has also done at least one of Elon's personal cars. Fwiw.

They are very professional and their price is very reasonable. Only issue with them as far as I'm concerned is they do the rear window in two pieces.
^This. Also, they have a 6 week wait for next availability currently. I saw a picture of the two pieces for the back windshield and have to pass because it would bug me everyday.

Something I really like about the Model 3 glass roof is after the rain you get this gorgeous yellow to orange light refracted rain drops. Do you lose that effect after tinting the rear windshield with your ceramic tinting? I'm curious.