Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window tint - anyone done it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just googled Auto Image and there is one in Santa Clara that came up but the recent customer reviews are terrible. IS this the same place you were referencing or is there another location?
There is an Auto Image Tint in Belmont. I think that is the one being referenced earlier. I got mine done with LLumar all around just like Altes. They are 5 stars on Yelp.

Reactions: MissyMcBee
I've been quoted around $800 for all windows except the windshield. They said that included a $100 additional cost because it takes 3 people to do the back window.

This is in Sacramento... if anyone else in the area has had it done, would love to hear what you were charged and where...

I just took mine in to get the back re-tinited after having the glass replaced. Left it with the shop for 3 hours and they failed to get the tint on this time. The guy who did it last time was no longer there, so the shop said they need more time to figure out how to do it. They offered to just do the lower half but that would look terrible. Taking it back in and leaving it with them to sort out.

I've been quoted around $800 for all windows except the windshield. They said that included a $100 additional cost because it takes 3 people to do the back window.

This is in Sacramento... if anyone else in the area has had it done, would love to hear what you were charged and where...

Really depends on what type of film your getting. $800 does seem high but it might be a high end tint. I got formula one pinnacle ceramic installed for $500 and they had experience with model 3s

Formula One High Performance Auto Tint is what' it's called. I believe it's by LLumac.

I'd consider that a really high price. It's an odd price, but on the high side.

I don't consider Formula One to be "high end" tint. The cost of the material isn't there, and the labor shouldn't be jacked up accordingly.

"High end" tint shouldn't cost as much as it does to get installed, but I get why installers charge more. Those who want high end tint pick it because they're pickier, and being pickier, expect very clean installs in addition to their tint. Plus, it tends to go on higher end cars so they have more money.

Where'd you get this quote? Most of the Sacramento installers are in the industrial areas of Sacramento or Rancho. That price sounds like something an installer located somewhere like Folsom would try to pull.

I'd consider that a really high price. It's an odd price, but on the high side.

I don't consider Formula One to be "high end" tint. The cost of the material isn't there, and the labor shouldn't be jacked up accordingly.

"High end" tint shouldn't cost as much as it does to get installed, but I get why installers charge more. Those who want high end tint pick it because they're pickier, and being pickier, expect very clean installs in addition to their tint. Plus, it tends to go on higher end cars so they have more money.

Where'd you get this quote? Most of the Sacramento installers are in the industrial areas of Sacramento or Rancho. That price sounds like something an installer located somewhere like Folsom would try to pull.

Genesis Tinting. Imperial Works said they could do it for around $600...

Here is there exact quote (FULL meaning all sides and read... and the rear is done as one piece):
Xpel Prime XR Black - $525 FULL
99% UV Rejection, Ceramic film, up to 66% solar energy rejection, up to 85% infrared rejection, and reduces glare by up to 95%

Doesn't that line bother you that they did the back in two pieces? It would drive me nuts.

No, it doesn't bother me. They do a great job lining it up and you only notice if you are looking for it. But ya, it could definitely bother those who are OCD about these things. :) That's why I mentioned it.

I just googled Auto Image and there is one in Santa Clara that came up but the recent customer reviews are terrible. IS this the same place you were referencing or is there another location?

Not this one. As @bdub mentioned, the one in Belmont is the one you want.

Reactions: MissyMcBee
Really depends on what type of film your getting. $800 does seem high but it might be a high end tint. I got formula one pinnacle ceramic installed for $500 and they had experience with model 3s

I used Llumar's Pinacle Formula One ceramic tint on my Model S and on two previous ICE (BMW) vehicles and it's great tint. The performance is good and the look is good and if you get a high quality installer, it will last 10+ years and look as good as new.

I did 35% all around and 40% on the rear hatch. Those values made the tint pretty much "match" all around for a consistent look (which I prefer).

I used (and have used for 12 years or so) Rocky Mountain Tint in Livermore. Excellent, excellent work at very fair prices.

Rocky Mountain Window Tint

I know this thread is regarding a Model 3 and I did an S, but you should still check these guys out.

Reactions: PSNeo
Genesis Tinting. Imperial Works said they could do it for around $600...

Here is there exact quote (FULL meaning all sides and read... and the rear is done as one piece):
Xpel Prime XR Black - $525 FULL
99% UV Rejection, Ceramic film, up to 66% solar energy rejection, up to 85% infrared rejection, and reduces glare by up to 95%

I'd consider $525 about the high end of what that tint should cost. At $600, I'd be looking pretty cross eyed at them.

Got a quote today from the place that did my S. For Llumar CTX the quote was $425 for all windows, including back window.

What's interesting is that although I had Huper Optik on my S, the guy said they could not get Huper in a big enough sheet to do the 3 rear window. I am pretty disappointed, as I loved the Huper on my S. The Llumar is not as effective in terms of heat rejection. Anyone else run into this?
Is that for a single piece on the rear window? That’s dirt cheap for CTX.

Here is a warning about water being used during tinting frying the computer (seems to me that Tesla needs to fix this pronto)

PSA - Do not tint windshield | Tesla

That's a good catch. I will say it is unusual to tint the front windshield of any car. This guy apparently had some cancer on his nose which required him to have heavy tint all over his car - most people do not tint their front windshields. In California it's actually illegal to tint it even slightly - not even 90% light transmission is allowed. Even if it were legal, in many car enthusiast circles it's considered unattractive to tint the front. In my experience, if the upholstery is dark, and the side windows and back window is all tinted, it will be almost completely dark in the car anyway, giving the appearance of a slight front tint.

Reactions: gambit48
I ended up getting ceramic tinting done with 35% on the sides and 20% in the rear and in the rear glass, did not tint the windshield. Shop did the rear in 1 piece, had experience doing the model 3s already and I had it all done for $500. First time spending extra on ceramic but it seems to keep the car cooler. My only concern initially with 20% on the rear was diminished visibility out of the top portion of the glass and while it is more tinted and darker now I can still see the sky in daylight.

View attachment 304003 View attachment 304004 View attachment 304005

Hey turtlez, can you report or PM me your pics? They don't seem to be working anymore. I just called Mr Tint and will be tinting my wife, neighbor and brother-in-law based on your tint job. Are you still happy with it? Thx!

That is very cheap compared to the prices at Prestige (Fremont) and Extreme (Cerritos/Brea). Like a few hundred dollars cheaper or more.

There's a shop down in San Diego that seems willing to do that price though.

Where was this at?

Hey turtlez, can you report or PM me your pics? They don't seem to be working anymore. I just called Mr Tint and will be tinting my wife, neighbor and brother-in-law based on your tint job. Are you still happy with it? Thx!

I am still very happy with it and install was great. Don't think you will be disappointed with their work. Pics are still visible to me from my post on the 2nd page.

There is an Auto Image Tint in Belmont. I think that is the one being referenced earlier. I got mine done with LLumar all around just like Altes. They are 5 stars on Yelp.
I went here for my tint/ppf. I haven't seen any pictures from the inside of the M3 rear window tint with a 2 piece installation so I thought I'd post some. Your mileage may vary on the quality of work since this shop seems to know what they are doing. There is also a video on their yelp page showing how they do the two piece tint.

These pictures are taken from the front seat, the back seat, and a close up of the rear window. From the outside you can't tell at all, so not really worth posting a picture of that.

Attachments

• image3 (1).jpeg
    image3 (1).jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 568
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 515
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 511