Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window tint - anyone done it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the side windows tinted today however the back window extends over the roof and has factory tint above. Will tinting the entire surface make the rear glass roof too dark?

Anyone tint the rear window yet? Pictures, comments, suggestions all welcome.

Had the side windows tinted today however the back window extends over the roof and has factory tint above. Will tinting the entire surface make the rear glass roof too dark?

Anyone tint the rear window yet? Pictures, comments, suggestions all welcome.
Here is one of many Model 3's we've tinted with the full rear glass. The film shown here is Ceraluxe Quantum Ceramic 20% in the rears and Spectra Photosync 55% up front. As you can see the visibility in the rear glass is not an issue. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• m3_tint_1.jpg
    m3_tint_1.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 3,393
  • m3_tint_2.jpg
    m3_tint_2.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 2,261
  • m3_tint_interior.jpg
    m3_tint_interior.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 3,451
I tinted the side windows and the Rear window. The rear was tinted right up to the point the roof tint starts. While inside you can see a slight line, I did not want to double tint the roof panel. Looks great, did it all for $500.

In this link, you'll see the difference from the interior of doing a partial tint vs full on the rear window. Question is whether you can live with the unevenness when you're looking in the rear view mirror.

Learn from my tinting mistake

Thanks for posting that, I was wondering the same thing.

Can you attach the picture over here of before and after? I don't have an account on that site.

Got a quote today from the place that did my S. For Llumar CTX the quote was $425 for all windows, including back window.

What's interesting is that although I had Huper Optik on my S, the guy said they could not get Huper in a big enough sheet to do the 3 rear window. I am pretty disappointed, as I loved the Huper on my S. The Llumar is not as effective in terms of heat rejection. Anyone else run into this?

A few more shots of the Model 3 tinted with Spectra Photosync 35% Full Rear Glass / 45% Front Two / 75% Front Windshield.

1) Photosync 35% rear windows / Photosync 45% front two windows.
m3_2.jpg

2) Front window tint in progress.
m3_03.jpg

3) Front Windshield with Photosync 75% vlt for added Heat, UV, and Glare reduction.
m3_3.jpg

4) Spectra Photosync 45%
m3_6.jpg

5) One Piece Full Rear Glass with Photosync 35%.
m3_1.jpg

I want to do at least 20% in all windows, just not sure if it will be too hard to see at night when the mirrors are dimmed. Anyone else has shots of the tint jobs on their Model 3s?

Here is one we did with Ceraluxe Quantum Ceramic 20% on the rears (full rear glass). Visibility through the rear glass is not an issue during the day. And for most of our customers, there are no visibility issues during nighttime driving either. If anyone has had SUVs (such as the Model X) with privacy glass, you will get the same type of visibility with a 20% vlt shaded film. Most people only need "clear" visibility through the rear glass for parking purposes, and the good thing is with the rear view cams now a days, it solves this dilema.

sph55 - clx 20.jpg

Here is one of many Model 3's we've tinted with the full rear glass. The film shown here is Ceraluxe Quantum Ceramic 20% in the rears and Spectra Photosync 55% up front. As you can see the visibility in the rear glass is not an issue. Hope this helps.

This is very useful for me! I just dropped off my car and getting 35% ceramic in front windows and 20% rear windows. I love the glass roof and didn't want visibility and open feeling to suffer to much. Can still see the sky from your pics from the roof so that gives me more reassurance. Your car looks great!

This is very useful for me! I just dropped off my car and getting 35% ceramic in front windows and 20% rear windows. I love the glass roof and didn't want visibility and open feeling to suffer to much. Can still see the sky from your pics from the roof so that gives me more reassurance. Your car looks great!
Thanks....that was my car Premier showcased (the midnight silver). Premier did a great job on my car and more importantly, they are great guys to work with. They take real pride in their work.

Reactions: MVuu
I had ceramic huper optic installed on the rear window. The only way to do it is to use 2 pieces. I was concerned, but they put seam on the defrost line and you can’t even see it.

Also don’t believe the claims of other ceramic tingts that haven’t been independently verified.

If you’re on LA go to songs tint masters (STM)