Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Window Tint Defroster Lines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have an appointment for Spectra Photosync IRD 70 to get installed on my front windshield and two front windows. I have a couple days to decide if I want to add the remaining windows. I’m only doing this for heat rejection when parked at work (assuming we go back to the office in 2021). The car is garage parked otherwise. I can be OCD about the car and the installer said Tesla defroster lines are relatively heavy and may create a halo effect around the defroster lines.

Will halos be visible around the defroster lines at 70 on the factory tinted glass? (I’ve seen it in pictures of M3s at 20.)

Any pictures of the rear glass tinted viewed from inside would be appreciated.

I currently have an appointment for Spectra Photosync IRD 70 to get installed on my front windshield and two front windows. I have a couple days to decide if I want to add the remaining windows. I’m only doing this for heat rejection when parked at work (assuming we go back to the office in 2021). The car is garage parked otherwise. I can be OCD about the car and the installer said Tesla defroster lines are relatively heavy and may create a halo effect around the defroster lines.

Will halos be visible around the defroster lines at 70 on the factory tinted glass? (I’ve seen it in pictures of M3s at 20.)

Any pictures of the rear glass tinted viewed from inside would be appreciated.

I have Prestige film on all windows except for roof glass:

Ceraluxe IRD 20 front sides
Photosync IRD 70 rear windows
Photosync IRD 70 windshield

I recall seeing the rear window defroster lines when the tint was new and there was residual moisture from film application, but after a few days, those essentially disappeared. Back window visibility and clarity, day or night remains the same.

The 20 front (Photosync does not have such a dark shade, but Ceraluxe is Prestige’s film for this) and 70 rears with factory shade make a perfect match.. I do notice the Photosync is optically clearer/better, has less haze and superior heat rejection to the Ceraluxe front windows.

If UV rejection is important to you and your passengers/family, you should consider tinting those rear windows; the stock shade does not offer much UV protection or heat rejection.

I’ll try to get you pictures from the inside soon.

IMG_4221.jpeg
IMG_4220.jpeg
IMG_4219.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: eeee-meeee