Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Window Tint Fail ~$26k Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across a Craig's List post warning of damage that happened when the owner had her rear window tinted. Apparently there is some sort of module on the rear pillar, and it was popped off during the tint install and not properly reinstalled. This caused water to run in and fry some circuits, long story short Tesla is quoting almost $27k to fix it. See picture below of CL post.

I was wondering if anyone know what module is being talked about? I was planning to have my rear window tinted but this type of story scares the hell out of me.

upload_2020-11-23_9-46-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-23_9-46-53.png
    upload_2020-11-23_9-46-53.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 574
I have my rear window tinted, and there was no issue. Just briefly eyeballing that quote, I would in general agree with "dont go to a cheap mobile window tint person". Go to a shop that has been around a while, and ask them if they have experience with model 3s.

Lots of people here have tint on the rear window with no issue, but dont try to get some bargain basement tinter and you should be fine.

I have my rear window tinted, and there was no issue. Just briefly eyeballing that quote, I would in general agree with "dont go to a cheap mobile window tint person". Go to a shop that has been around a while, and ask them if they have experience with model 3s.

Lots of people here have tint on the rear window with no issue, but dont try to get some bargain basement tinter and you should be fine.

Yeah, thats true. I've only found one shop so far that advertises specifically the model 3 rear window, they are asking $600 just for the back window. I feel like that's steep.

Shrug... I paid $1100 for 3M crystalline all around, including 20% on all side windows, 1 piece back window, glass roof, and 70% windshield. Tint pricing is one of those things that tends to be all over the map.

The shop I go to has been doing my cars for almost 20 years though, and has been in the same place in my city for 30 years. I trust them, and havent had a single problem with them in all the time I have gone to them. Tint (and PPF, and Wrapping) is something where the skill of the installer matters, more than the pricing, at least to me.

Whats "fair" for a price is all over the map, and partially driven by where you live, costs there, skill of the installer, and their overhead, how much that place pays their install team, etc. Where I go, the same tinters have worked there over a decade, for example.

OP, just do some research for your local area, and in general, its worth paying more for a "shop" thats been around a while, rather than trying to save $100.

Mine would have been cheaper if I didnt go with 3m Crystalline for example, and went with one of the lower heat rejection 3M tints.

• Informative
Reactions: skgolf91 and Clivew
Shrug... I paid $1100 for 3M crystalline all around, including 20% on all side windows, 1 piece back window, glass roof, and 70% windshield. Tint pricing is one of those things that tends to be all over the map.

The shop I go to has been doing my cars for almost 20 years though, and has been in the same place in my city for 30 years. I trust them, and havent had a single problem with them in all the time I have gone to them. Tint (and PPF, and Wrapping) is something where the skill of the installer matters, more than the pricing, at least to me.

Whats "fair" for a price is all over the map, and partially driven by where you live, costs there, skill of the installer, and their overhead, how much that place pays their install team, etc. Where I go, the same tinters have worked there over a decade, for example.

OP, just do some research for your local area, and in general, its worth paying more for a "shop" thats been around a while, rather than trying to save $100.

Mine would have been cheaper if I didnt go with 3m Crystalline for example, and went with one of the lower heat rejection 3M tints.
Can you share the shop information?

1. Who posts crap like this on CL?
2. What module in the car costs $27k to replace? Hell, the ENTIRE battery for my LRAWD Model 3 WITH labor was only $22k.

I call shenanigans on this Craigslist post. I've heard of this on the front window, but either way, no module is going to cost $27k parts and labor.

But yes, don't use some cheap dude to tint your car. Go to a real shop that does good work and has INSURANCE. *sugar*, how much could you possibly save, $500?

I had mine done(everything including windshield) and no problems. I did pay a lot more than what I used to pay on my other cars but I did get 3m crystalline and one piece back window. The place I went to owns multiple Teslas and have worked on many Teslas. You just need to do your research and go to a place that has experience w Teslas. Pay a little extra if you have to. Saving a few bucks is not worth going thru all the hassle!

1. Who posts crap like this on CL?
2. What module in the car costs $27k to replace? Hell, the ENTIRE battery for my LRAWD Model 3 WITH labor was only $22k.

I call shenanigans on this Craigslist post. I've heard of this on the front window, but either way, no module is going to cost $27k parts and labor.

But yes, don't use some cheap dude to tint your car. Go to a real shop that does good work and has INSURANCE. *sugar*, how much could you possibly save, $500?

yeah I'm with this guy. calling bullshit considering for $27,000 you could buy half of a new car.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Might be BS, but just posting what I found. Also keep in mind this is in Canada where everything is almost at least 1.5 times more expensive.

still calling BS, maybe it's someone that just doesn't like that installer spreading fake news to hurt their business... like another competitor. There's no $18,000 sensor on the car either (if $27,000 is 1.5x the cost somewhere else). Or a $10,000 sensor. and so on

This is why most people don't reshare random stuff on the internet; there's more information suggesting it's fake than there is information suggesting it is factual.

Reactions: Bluedogger
Just going through the service manual... I see:
  1. Tuner
  2. Antenna amplifier
  3. There's a TPMS sensor, but that looks like it's under the rear shelf
In short, I call bullshit. Might be one of those situations where one dumbass + another dumbass = $27,000. I'd be selling this car tomorrow if this were the case.

The only way damage could get anywhere near that expensive is if they used so much water that it ran down into the penthouse on the battery that is under the rear seat. But even then a battery pack replacement is only about $13k.