Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Window Tint - Headlights Reflecting off Defroster Lines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SabrToothSqrl
I’m sorry that your tint didn’t go well, but thank to you more people are aware of this problem. If this is normal why do people still tint the back window?
The back window leaks allot of heat into the car so tinting it keeps the interior cooler, it's also nice I'm the summer and in the daylight there is no issue.

I have as feeling that thicker tints will have greater refraction than thinner tints, it would be interesting to compare. Photo Sync keeps it allot of heat, but Is very thick.

• Informative
Reactions: SP_H
Wanted to bump this because I wanted offer my thoughts. Note that this is my experience so things may be different for someone else (as it seems the defroster lines thickness may vary as well).

Not everyone has this problem I think because it is dependent on the thickness of the tint as well. I actually have XPEL PRIME XR PLUS originally, which was a 1.5 mil (45 VLT), and I do not recall seeing such refractions that was like the picture. I changed it to the 70 tint because of visibility reasons all around (for some reason the 45 was way darker than my Prius which had 35 VLT tint, to the point where I felt uncomfortable in dark places, and of course you have the dimming mirrors on top), and I kind of liked the lighter look too.

After the change though I started to get the refractions. Lo and behold when I look at the spec sheet the 70 tint is actually thicker (2 mil), which I think explains why I'm seeing them now.

Anyways if you're trying to avoid them you need to go with a thinner film. Photosync and 3M Crystalline are all 2 mil according to the spec sheets I could find, while the XR Plus are all 1.5 mil except for the 70 one. XPEL does list thickness for their other films so you can see if there are alternatives. There maybe others out there but not all of them list thickness, at least facing publicly.

Of course YMMV; I can't guarantee that using a thinner tint would not have any refractions.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIY-Trev