Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Window Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read and heard about the rear glass cracking issues on the 3s when tinted. Also not sure if that's still happening on the newer M3.

I'm debating if I should do full or half tint on my rear. Heard some where, an installer told him that M3 are less prone to cracking with only a half tint.

Does anyone have an outside rear photo shot of their M3 with only the bottom half window tinted?

Do the whole thing. Be expected to pay a little more as it’s a special 60” wide roll of tint if you don’t want any seams. I did mine with XPEL Prime XR Plus along with all the other glass, night and day difference.

Yea I already got a price for both ways... It's about a $200 price difference.

I really want to do full, but worried about the cracking issue. Which is a bigger headache later on. More money more headache. I might not mind the half tint, specially if you can't really tell from the outside. Inside you will have 2 separation shades anyways, no matter which way you go.

I've seen some photos how it looks from the inside. You will still have the 2 different shades from the single piece right?
Yes you will still see the dark roof fade into the lighter rear portion.

But half tint will be a dark roof than an even darker strip in between with a sharp edge that fades into the lighter rear window. So you end up with 3 different colors inside.

And never heard of the cracking issue. Plenty of tinted Model 3s in hot climates like California with no problem. I’ve always tinted sunroofs on my previous cars too without issue even though people said it would crack. It’s an urban myth.

Reactions: miggz410
I've seen some photos how it looks from the inside. You will still have the 2 different shades from the single piece right?
Hi! When doing 1 piece you will still have the same gradient fade in effect you have on the glass at the moment, just darker if you choose a dark film. If you were to only do the bottom half you will have a very noticeable line where the film ends, not only does it not look aesthetically pleasing, but since it is an exposed edge, it can start to peel early on as well. About 97% of our customers have chosen to do the full back windshield in one single piece

Yes you will still see the dark roof fade into the lighter rear portion.

But half tint will be a dark roof than an even darker strip in between with a sharp edge that fades into the lighter rear window. So you end up with 3 different colors inside.

And never heard of the cracking issue. Plenty of tinted Model 3s in hot climates like California with no problem. I’ve always tinted sunroofs on my previous cars too without issue even though people said it would crack. It’s an urban myth.
My friend did a full tint on his 2020 M3. Found a crack on his rear glass months later. Tesla did replace his glass, but he decided not to tint his rear glass again. It seems like a lot of the cases I'm seeing are from older years. So I was wondering if it's still happening with 22-23 M3.

Yea I'm torn between the two... But leaning more towards the full tint specially if the cracking issue was isolated on pre-2021 M3 models...

My friend did a full tint on his 2020 M3. Found a crack on his rear glass months later. Tesla did replace his glass, but he decided not to tint his rear glass again. It seems like a lot of the cases I'm seeing are from older years. So I was wondering if it's still happening with 22-23 M3.

Yea I'm torn between the two... But leaning more towards the full tint specially if the cracking issue was isolated on pre-2021 M3 models...
From our experience, we do at least 2 Tesla's per day here, we have not ran into any of these issues when installing window film. Prior to installing the film we always double check the glass to make sure there is nothing that could potentially cause this issue down the road (ex: rock chips, pitting, deep scratches, micro cracks etc)

From our experience, we do at least 2 Tesla's per day here, we have not ran into any of these issues when installing window film. Prior to installing the film we always double check the glass to make sure there is nothing that could potentially cause this issue down the road (ex: rock chips, pitting, deep scratches, micro cracks etc)
Just called a bunch places and I was offered this 3 different films for around the same price. Which one would you recommend?

Suntek CXP
Solargard Ceramic
Xpel Ceramic

Those are the films that fell with in my price range. Everything else was going north of $600+

Tint Help model 3 back glass, model Y roof panel and windshield

Maybe I can help you understand why this happens and how to avoid it. To any tint shops wary of doing it please read. There’s a reason why Tesla model 3’s and model Y roofs are the most expensive piece of glass to tint, the obvious, the size and the skill level it takes to do one correctly.. When you shrink a back window, you break it into four (4) sections and it takes about 4-5 minutes @ 1200° with a Tesla model 3 or a model Y roof you need to break it into four sections, but only shrink 4 inches in on a crisscross pattern minimizing the heat in one area. Same process on the model Y roof panel. Not only will this protect the back window from accidental damage but it will make it 10 times easier to shrink out this massive piece of film.
Tesla has been known for having problems with their glass especially with extreme temperature change. The problem has been improved but be especially careful on the back window where the defroster lines go across and down. This is the old piece of glass. The newer glass, the defroster lines go straight across all the way up the glass. If you need to apply heat in order to lay something apply heat to a 12 inch section and never use water to cool if you over hear.

• windshield tint on a Tesla
As most of us know there’s a very expensive, almost impossible to replace computer on the passenger side in the dash.
Work around; always use a braided rope two absorb any excess water, mist blade, mist and squeegee five times. Apply film once across the bottom as low as possible, with your clear max, then bring everything straight up.

( important) Don’t forget to remove both inside pillar panels on the inside and cover up electrical unit on passenger side. Then go to the passenger side trunk, right behind the tail light, pull back the panel exposing the subwoofer amp. Cover with microfiber towels. If for any reason, a customer leaves the shop and subwoofer stops working return to the shop that did the work have them pull the rear panel blow the amp out with compressed air get into the driver seat, hold both buttons on the steering wheel, and the brake, at the same time, resetting the amp to the subwoofer.

To Other tint shops, you don’t have to take my advice, but I tint a mass amount of Teslas, and I have a very good reputation. I would never steer anyone in the wrong direction, I want nothing but to see every shop succeed and further their skills. If any shop in the Portland area would like some help let me know I’m more than happy to help.
To a customer it’s your car and there is nothing wrong with asking questions if the shop gets frustrated or seems like they don’t want or need to answer your questions regardless of how dumb they sound then go somewhere Else or be confident the shop will be willing to replace any damaged property.
FYI I don’t do much posting online I’m more of a face to face kinda person so forgive me if I lose anyone. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I’ll do my best to clarify:)

Just called a bunch places and I was offered this 3 different films for around the same price. Which one would you recommend?

Suntek CXP
Solargard Ceramic
Xpel Ceramic

Those are the films that fell with in my price range. Everything else was going north of $600+
Between those 3 films there I would go with the solargard film.

I went with Xpel XR Plus (Nano Ceramic) for my 2023 MYP and am very happy.
I also went with Xpel XR Plus, though Xpel was all the shop I wanted to use carries. They also use Xpel for PPF, so it could be an entire line they signed up for, still I did not find any reports of issues with it on my quick search. Seems to be well regarded and from a major company standing behind it. I can't speak to the other options, but I'm happy with mine so far and would generally recommend a ceramic option over a CXP for the same price.

Reactions: freed0m
Finally got my car tinted. Elected to go with full rear window. When I woke up the next day, I noticed a couple spots on my rear windshield some daylight are shining through it. When I looked closer, look like they over cut the film on both areas. Side windows were done really good. No issues there.

When I called them the shop told me to bring it back. But I told him I'll bring it back when it stops raining. Trying to see what my options are here. Do they have to remove and replace the tint to fix it? Worried about them damaging my defrosters.

tint2.jpg
tint.jpg

When I called them the shop told me to bring it back. But I told him I'll bring it back when it stops raining. Trying to see what my options are here. Do they have to remove and replace the tint to fix it? Worried about them damaging my defrosters.

I would think they'd have to pull and re-do to get it 100% right, but I would for sure worry about the defroster lines. IMHO I'd just lave that alone.

Reactions: E90alex