Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window trim - replace or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently noticed small rear window trim coming off. Put in for service and it looks like the Tesla solution is to replace the entire window as it’s all one part. Also requires an overnight at the SC to cure. Unfortunately, I had the window tinted.

I tried putting the trim back into place with 3M tape and it looks OK. So while it’s now much better cosmetically, I do wonder if there is any functional defect I need to be concerned with by not doing a full replacement.

Throwing this out there in case anyone has experienced something similar. Before/after pics attached.

Attachments

• 45FB5A50-B2C8-4EDA-9B2E-C6C911A9A401.jpeg
    45FB5A50-B2C8-4EDA-9B2E-C6C911A9A401.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 0D98B0AC-3775-4919-AEDE-AB7795996437.jpeg
    0D98B0AC-3775-4919-AEDE-AB7795996437.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 149
Same thing with mine, although not as bad. You are correct, the rear trim + window is a complete piece so they removed and replaced mine without any issue. Seems like a dumb design, but it's under warranty so might as well.

I recently noticed small rear window trim coming off. Put in for service and it looks like the Tesla solution is to replace the entire window as it’s all one part. Also requires an overnight at the SC to cure. Unfortunately, I had the window tinted.

I tried putting the trim back into place with 3M tape and it looks OK. So while it’s now much better cosmetically, I do wonder if there is any functional defect I need to be concerned with by not doing a full replacement.

Throwing this out there in case anyone has experienced something similar. Before/after pics attached.

Yeah, I wish I would have known about this earlier. I noticed a defect on the trim during the delivery inspection. Made a service center appointment but the earliest opening was 3 weeks out. I had my windows tinted during this time since I was unaware the trim and glass came as one piece. So had to get the rear quarter glass re-tinted.

I'd get Tesla to replace it. Re-tinting the glass is such a small job. Bet your shop would do it at no cost if they're in a good mood.

Reactions: SJROSSO
I have the same issue on mine too but not nearly as bad. I'm tempted to put some type of strong adhesive to see if that fixes it because I can snap it back flush, but as soon as I drive away it pops out. Tesla service always seems to screw something else up in the process so not sure its worth for me to have them replace but it does bother me.

I have the same issue on mine too but not nearly as bad. I'm tempted to put some type of strong adhesive to see if that fixes it because I can snap it back flush, but as soon as I drive away it pops out.

Pretty sure that's what Tesla does as well. They definitely put a ton of adhesive on the replacement trim piece. There were areas I needed to clean up when I got home. Wasn't the cleanest repair job.

Reactions: sjsharks33
I have the same issue on mine too but not nearly as bad. I'm tempted to put some type of strong adhesive to see if that fixes it because I can snap it back flush, but as soon as I drive away it pops out. Tesla service always seems to screw something else up in the process so not sure its worth for me to have them replace but it does bother me.
Yes, my biggest concern is the risk that SC would mess something up in the replacement process.

Reactions: hcdavis3