Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear windows rolled down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if someone mentioned it here but when it's cold outside, the car will lower the windows slightly
There are various issues but last week after some -15F temperatures my driver window got "confused" and would lower about three inches after the door was closed. If I did full-down and then full-up it would go up about 3/4, stop and go down to about half. A "calibration" cycle fixed the problem. The fact that open window alerts aren't being posted by the app doesn't help. I use Teslafi so I enabled their open window alerts. I haven't tested yet but I don't have any reason to believe it won't work unless/until Tesla changes the data stream.

Reactions: GtiMart and Woggon
I don't know if someone mentioned it here but when it's cold outside, the car will lower the windows slightly. Not enough that the windows are "open" but enough that they would not hit the trim if they were frozen and couldn't lower when you open the door. In that situation, if you try to get them fully up they might go and then back down immediately. I think I've had that happen once. If they are "open" and snow/rain can get in, there's another problem.
Yeah - this is something like 4”-5” open.

I have had the “cracked” open thing, which happened during a car wash at 15 degrees and caused some fogging issues for my pillar cameras, but this was large enough to let a football through.

Happy to hear a calibration of the windows fixes it. 4-5 inches clearly isn't right.

I have been getting the window notifications constantly. I crack my windows open every day when I park in my garage, and I systematically get one, sometimes two notifications on my phone a few minutes later. I wonder what's preventing you from getting them. I presume you've checked the notification settings in the mobile app?

I had my passenger front window open completely on me this morning. I did get a notification on the App, but I did not see it until I got out to the car. Sorry, but this is a bullshit thing to have happen on a car. I also had troubles with the trunk opening on its own (Tesla Service realigned the trunk latch to hopefully fix).

I am about ready to make a trip from MN to WA and don't really feel too comfortable parking overnight in a hotel lot with issues like this.

I had my passenger front window open completely on me this morning. I did get a notification on the App, but I did not see it until I got out to the car. Sorry, but this is a bullshit thing to have happen on a car. I also had troubles with the trunk opening on its own (Tesla Service realigned the trunk latch to hopefully fix).

I am about ready to make a trip from MN to WA and don't really feel too comfortable parking overnight in a hotel lot with issues like this.
Calibrating mine fixed my issue completely. I’d try that first - I seem to recall someone else outlined how to do so previously in this thread.

Our front passenger side window when we try to close it will come down 7 or 8 inches and stop. Then try again to close it and it does the same thing. Eventually it will close. Also when we leave the car and lock it, the window will do the same thing and come down 7 or 8 inches and stop. So we have to unlock the car, get the window to close, close the door and hopefully it will stay closed. I have Tesla service coming out to fix it and surprisingly they say what is needed is to replace the puddle lamp for the door. We will see if that works.

I’ve had a ‘23 m3p and it’s been experiencing the back passenger window randomly rolling down 4 or 5 inches as described here.

I’ve attempted the recalibration procedure found here and will report back if it occurs afterwards.

After three mobile tech visits, the tech replaced the motor, the regulator, and checked everything out. It still didn’t work so he told me to schedule a SC visit to fix it. At the service center. They ended up replacing the glass and that seemed to have caused the problem. No problems since.

Reactions: sfRonH
After three mobile tech visits, the tech replaced the motor, the regulator, and checked everything out. It still didn’t work so he told me to schedule a SC visit to fix it. At the service center. They ended up replacing the glass and that seemed to have caused the problem. No problems since.
What was your problem with your rear glass window? I have a problem with mine making loud noise when open/close rear door (the windows wobbles), when I try to hit on the lumber above the door handle, I can hear metal hitting noise. I went in SC for few times as well have Mobile Service came out to replace both sides of the regular. Problem is still the same so far.

What was your problem with your rear glass window? I have a problem with mine making loud noise when open/close rear door (the windows wobbles), when I try to hit on the lumber above the door handle, I can hear metal hitting noise. I went in SC for few times as well have Mobile Service came out to replace both sides of the regular. Problem is still the same so far.

My problem was with the passenger side front window. It would go up and then reverse down. This would happen several times and eventually it would close. My problem was very different than your experience.

Reactions: wakkigy
2023 MYLR I have had problems with both front windows. One was re-calibrated but didn't fix the problem of not closing, ie bounced back down 1/3 of the way, so Tesla replaced the window regulator assembly. The other window was re-calibrated and so far is working well. I mainly had problems when I used the vent windows command to keep car cooler and about five/ten minutes before returning used remote command to close all windows and turn on a/c. I would return to find a window down aprox 1/3 of the way and car not secured. The other way it messed up was when used the auto close button on the door the window glass would go all the way up and then bounce back down 1/3 of the way. Seemed to be temperature relate to me but erratic so was hard to pinpoint.
All working well now, hope it lasts as I like the vent function.

For several of us, the windows just don’t work, are very defective, and the repair people are using trial and error. I had 3 or 4 service calls / visits before the problems stopped. First worker said he needed to recalibrate. Second said he’d recalibrate, but if that didn’t work, then a new computer would be needed. Third tech replaced motors. I’m forgetting the exact details. My point is that it took lots of different service calls, with different diagnoses. Don’t blame yourself. I eventually proved on video that the windows had a mind of their own. It’s a very bad problem, because on a rainy day I returned to the car with a window all the way down and the seat soaked.

This was one of several problems that was a nuisance and shouldn’t occur.