Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear windows rolled down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I came to my car and found the rear passenger side window rolled down on our 2022 Model Y LR in the parking lot. I’ve found the rear windows rolled down several times, as has my wife.

I have not determine if I’m doing something to cause this or if something else is making it happen.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: sfRonH and HelloJP
Yes! It has happened to us a couple of times since getting our MY in mid December. We've requested a service call to see what caused it. Perhaps I accidentally pressed the Vent icon on the app (but I don't think so). We do have overheat protection turned on, but we've never let the inside cabin temp get anywhere near warm enough to trigger the overheat protection (plus car was parked in sub-zero temps).

Totally off-topic but how do you add your MY specs under your name on the left?

I guess I’m relieved to hear that someone else is having a similar issue. It happened again today, and it was 16 degrees out when it happened, so I don’t think it’s from being too hot.

At one point on the model y delivery post someone wanted everyone to post details on their configuration and order date as a custom profile title so people know what was ordered and when.

You can add info by clicking on your profile icon at the top of the page. That brings up a window showing several icons at the top, click on the one that is an outline of a person with a gear, then click on the “account details” label and scroll down to the “custom title” area and add info. The character count is pretty limited though, so stay concise.

Reactions: Volleyballmom
If the window(s) roll down on their own you can try to re-calibrate the window actuators. See Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual for the steps to re-calibrate the windows.

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

To calibrate a window:
  1. Close the door with the affected window.
  2. Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  3. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, raise the affected window until it stalls.
  4. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, lower the affected window until it stalls.
  5. Repeat step 3 and raise the affected window until it stalls.
The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.

Try the window calibration. What setting do you have for the following?

DOORS & WINDOWS - in addition to being notified if a door or trunk is left open, you will also receive a notification if Model Y is locked and a window is left open.

Curious if you received a mobile alert that the window was down?

Reactions: Woggon
If the window(s) roll down on their own you can try to re-calibrate the window actuators. See Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual for the steps to re-calibrate the windows.

To calibrate a window:
  3. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, raise the affected window until it stalls.
  4. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, lower the affected window until it stalls.
The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.
I will try this. Fingers crossed!

DOORS & WINDOWS - in addition to being notified if a door or trunk is left open, you will also receive a notification if Model Y is locked and a window is left open.

I’ll check. My wife has the car at the moment. I have not received any alerts that the doors or windows are open and the car is locked what this has happened.

I have has that happen when I left the frunk open in my garage.

To calibrate a window:
Service guy came out and did it for us, but thanks for reminding us that this is in the manual. Good to remember.

I did finally have time to check what the settings were today. My car is set to notify me if windows are open when the doors are locked. Last time I had this happen the doors were definitely locked.

My hope is the window calibration sorts all of this out.

Reactions: JoeT21MY
... My car is set to notify me if windows are open when the doors are locked ...
We've found that the app notification doesn't work (it's easy to test). The Vent button opens all four windows about an inch and changes the button to Close. We've switched to close windows on lock and no longer exclude home after finding the driver window down about three inches which resulted in snow in the car. I'm going to re-calibrate and see if that helps.
[update] Re-cal seems to have resolved the driver's window glitch.

2022 MY, 2021.44.30.7

Last edited:
I've had intermittent problems with this on both front doors. Windows would reverse after closing, and stop part-way open. Pinch protection seems to be unnecessarily sensitive. After numerous mobile and SC visits a few months ago, the situation has improved but still occurs occasionally. It happened most recently when my daughter was driving, and when Tesla checked the logs they concluded that she may have inadvertently pressed the window control when opening the driver door. I have now selected the "close windows on lock" option which will avoid having them stay open when the car is unattended. I might have to deactivate it again when summer rolls around because I often leave all 4 vented to minimize heat buildup - with the glass roof it is surprisingly fast and extreme!

• Helpful
Reactions: JoeT21MY
I've had intermittent problems with this on both front doors. Windows would reverse after closing, and stop part-way open. Pinch protection seems to be unnecessarily sensitive. After numerous mobile and SC visits a few months ago, the situation has improved but still occurs occasionally. It happened most recently when my daughter was driving, and when Tesla checked the logs they concluded that she may have inadvertently pressed the window control when opening the driver door. I have now selected the "close windows on lock" option which will avoid having them stay open when the car is unattended. I might have to deactivate it again when summer rolls around because I often leave all 4 vented to minimize heat buildup - with the glass roof it is surprisingly fast and extreme!
I just got my MY in Dec and was wondering about heat buildup in the car on hot sunny days due to the glass roof. I guess that's an issue then?

I just got my MY in Dec and was wondering about heat buildup in the car on hot sunny days due to the glass roof. I guess that's an issue then?
You can turn on Cabin Overheat Protection in the Safety & Security settings. This setting either runs just the HVAC fan only or the AC to maintain the cabin temperature at or below 105F (40.5C)

Have you ever thought that your hands could be inadvertently touching the controls when you get out of the car for example. It happened to me and it took a long while before I realized I was doing it. You don't feel it but it can happen. I've seen other threads here over the past couple of years and it has happened to other people too.
I have. That’s why I stated I wasn’t sure if I was causing it or something else was causing it.

The only thing that makes me think it’s not me touching the controls is that I have never gotten a notification that my windows were down while the car was locked. I have my car set to do so. I have gotten notification my frunk and trunk were open while the car was unlocked - so the same setting is working for different components.

I’ve also had the experience of rolling the windows up that I noticed were down while driving, only to have them roll back down immediately without touching any controls.

My assumption is the windows were not calibrated when I picked it up, and since I’m in the winery Midwest they have not all been rolled down and back up, inadvertently calibrating them.

So far, post calibration I’ve had no more issues with this.

Reactions: sfRonH
I don't know if someone mentioned it here but when it's cold outside, the car will lower the windows slightly. Not enough that the windows are "open" but enough that they would not hit the trim if they were frozen and couldn't lower when you open the door. In that situation, if you try to get them fully up they might go and then back down immediately. I think I've had that happen once. If they are "open" and snow/rain can get in, there's another problem.