Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear windshield cracks 5 days after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model S from the factory last Tuesday. 5 days and 344 miles later, I noticed a 6-inch hairline crack in the rear windshield, surrounded by a handful of "star" cracks. There's no damage to the rest of the glass or paintwork on the car.

Has anyone seen this before? I don't know what to make of it. The car was already booked in for service at the local SC next week due to whistle noise coming from the front windshield at freeway speeds, so I'll be asking them about this as well. I contacted them to ask if it's safe to drive, no response yet.

Is it possible that this was caused by a production defect, or is it more likely that I just got unlucky and the car was hit by rock chips or some other object?

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 90
I'm thinking vandalism, perhaps a BB gun? I've never seen driving rock damage to a rear glass.

The starred crater is typical of a high speed impact (several of them). Happened to my old Volvo's rear window. Reported it to the county sheriff and was told there had been a half dozen reports in a two week period. Ultimately, they caught the teenagers that were shooting cars with a pellet gun.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Definitely impact. I had a loaner and a rock flew up in the air and hit the trailing edge of the rear pano and chipped it while I was putting things in the back seat. I would never have thought that could happen. So it could have been flying stones.