Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rearview camera image quality issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I've just taken delivery of my Model 3 today. One thing I noticed right away is how poor the image quality of the rearview camera is. I've seen the following specific problems:

1. The overall contrast is too exaggerated such that the some area of the road surface is completed washed out (whiteout). The camera sensor is completely saturated in these areas while other darker areas are too dark. In the over and under-saturated areas the surface texture is either completely invisible or very hard to see. This can be caused by the image sensor hardware or firmware. The image sensor is not performing as a high dynamic range sensor.
road surface saturation.jpeg

2. The lens center sharpness (and only center) is too much for this sensor causing an artificial color "+" pattern known as "Moire Fringes" near the center of the image. This color pattern is a pure artifact causing by the under-sampling of the sensor near the center of the image.
Center Color Moire Fringes.jpeg

3. Though the lens center sharpness is high (or too high), the lens corner sharpness is too low causing blurry images at the corners. The details is all washed out at the upper left corner. Based on 2) and 3), I think the lens has significant field curvature causing unacceptable unevenness in the image quality. This can also be traced to the lens/sensor alignment process in addition to a poorly designed or manufactured lens.
Bad MTF at Upper Left corner.jpeg

I also owned a Model X which has a quite acceptable camera for my day-to-day use. I cannot say the same thing about this M3 camera. I wonder if anyone else has seen the same problems with other M3 cameras. It could be that my particular unit is defective.

I'm new to this forum. I look forward to learning from other experienced Tesla owners.

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks