Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rearview mirror housing rattle/vibrations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone's rearview mirror housing rattle/vibrate a lot? I've taken it to two service appointments and they both were unable to resolve the issue. It's 100% the housing since touching it stops the rattling/vibrations. The last service appointment actually damaged the housing when removing it to inspect... If the third service appointment doesn't solve the issue, are there videos on how to remove the housing off a 2022 Y? All the videos I've found were 2020-2021 and they all look different than what I have in my MYP.

Thanks!

I haven't noticed rattling from the rearview mirror housing, but on occasion I get this vibrating sound from behind my dash and was going to eventually pop it open to see if anything is loose in there (and fix with Gaff tape if there is). I'm hesitant to make any more service requests for fear that they may create more problems than solve, or at least, insist on mobile service as long as it is doable. I don't remember if you had your windshield tinted, but you might ask your tint guy how to remove that housing. I've seen some shops remove it when installing tint (whether right or wrong). Good luck.

Reactions: t1m1t
Does anyone's rearview mirror housing rattle/vibrate a lot? I've taken it to two service appointments and they both were unable to resolve the issue. It's 100% the housing since touching it stops the rattling/vibrations. The last service appointment actually damaged the housing when removing it to inspect... If the third service appointment doesn't solve the issue, are there videos on how to remove the housing off a 2022 Y? All the videos I've found were 2020-2021 and they all look different than what I have in my MYP.

Thanks!
My 22 MYP does this too. Not all the time, but if the road conditions are a little rough, there is a rattle "buzz" from the mirror housing. It took me a little bit to find it, but like you said, once a little pressure is put on the housing it stops immediately. I've also searched for ways to remove the housing, but it's different on the 22's. Please let us know if the third appt fixes the issue and what they did to solve it. Thanks.

Thanks!
YES! I have the rattle. I touch the rear view mirror housing at least 3 times every drive. If the pavement is amazingly smooth- nothing. Everywhere else and the rattle is there. 2022 Y Delivered in June.

Initially I was pressing the housing to eliminate the rattle but recently discovered if I touch the mirror itself- like if I were going to adjust it- the rattle stops. It’s very frustrating. I would go so far as to call this a severe rattle.

Initially I was pressing the housing to eliminate the rattle but recently discovered if I touch the mirror itself- like if I were going to adjust it- the rattle stops. It’s very frustrating. I would go so far as to call this a severe rattle.
I've taken my MYP to service 3 times and all 3 times they were not able to recreate the rattle... I had videos to show, which they listened to, but still wouldn't fix the issue since they couldn't actually hear it. The last service appointment did damage the housing though as they checked it out which is how I got them to replace the whole thing. Parts are delayed for a while though so won't be able to get the housing replaced until late Sept...

Reactions: TheQuiet_1
I am a member of this rearview mirror/housing rattle and it has officially driven me up a wall.

3 appts asking them to look at it, each time, they say they've fixed it, but no improvement.

Have my 4th appointment this Saturday at a different SC than I typically go to, really hoping they can address. It's annoying me so much that I'm actually thinking of selling my MYP.

I am a member of this rearview mirror/housing rattle and it has officially driven me up a wall.

3 appts asking them to look at it, each time, they say they've fixed it, but no improvement.

Have my 4th appointment this Saturday at a different SC than I typically go to, really hoping they can address. It's annoying me so much that I'm actually thinking of selling my MYP.
If my replacement housing doesn't fix it, I'm most likely going to take it apart myself and slap felt tape all over it. I'm guessing its the two pieces of the housing rubbing up against each other since everything inside is "in spec".

Reactions: RevToRed and PeteOC

Thats a bummer. I see you have had a Model Y before, did it have the same issue? I came from a Model 3, and it didn't have this rattle. heck, none of the cars I ever owned had this kind of problem. My only other previous vehicle with vibrating RVM was my Ducati Supersport motorcycle!

Basically, is the consensus that only 2022 Model Y's demonstrate this issue?

Thats a bummer. I see you have had a Model Y before, did it have the same issue? I came from a Model 3, and it didn't have this rattle. heck, none of the cars I ever owned had this kind of problem. My only other previous vehicle with vibrating RVM was my Ducati Supersport motorcycle!

Basically, is the consensus that only 2022 Model Y's demonstrate this issue?
Recently took a ride in my friends 2021 MYLR and paid attention to it. No rattle coming from the mirror assembly.

This is just sub-par build quality, and is probably hit or miss based on the vehicle itself. We just got the unlucky ducks.

That being said, the BMW i4 is growing on me…..

Reactions: TheQuiet_1
Does anyone's rearview mirror housing rattle/vibrate a lot?
I would not say a lot, but yes. Started about a week ago on certain road surfaces that generate a particular frequency at a speed. Usually a little push on the housing and it stops... until the next time. Following this in case it gets worse and I need to do something about it. No other rattles at all anywhere else so far.

Reactions: LostLuggage
If my replacement housing doesn't fix it, I'm most likely going to take it apart myself and slap felt tape all over it. I'm guessing its the two pieces of the housing rubbing up against each other since everything inside is "in spec".
I agree, it is what it sounds like to me when it's happening. Just wish I could find a video of someone showing how to take it apart, and I'd do it in heartbeat to stop the rattle.

Thanks!
I had this issue on delivery. Was fixed on first service center visit. Got lucky, I guess.