Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rearview mirror housing rattle/vibrations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my rearview mirror/rearview housing rattle fixed. The other SC I took it to (Bellevue, WA) said they removed some plastic piece and insulated it with foam tape. No more rattle.

My car sounds so much better now. Just 1 door panel rattle to go........

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
This link didn't work for me but I got it to work by removing the anchor (the "#..." part):

I had already signed up for the free subscription to the service manuals. Woot!

The instructions to remove the lower cover were basically:

Use a trim tool to remove the lower quad camera cover.

I believe these instructions are for all model years.

Reactions: SJC3
YES! My August 22 delivered MYP makes this rattle as well. Touching it a bit helps, but this is annoying and ridiculous for ANY new vehicle. I'm hesitant to take it in. I have one more small issue (the carpet for one of the seat backs in the rear doesn't stick). I thought it might be better to wait another month or two and see if any other issues come up so as not too much time in service. How long do these service appts take? Do you wait or leave your vehicle?

I fixed it. When all else fails, follow the instructions: use a trim tool to remove the lower quad camera cover.

The hardest part was finding my Torx screwdriver set. I needed a T20. Fixing the car was quick and easy. I used two metal (gasp) spudgers like the one from this set. I marred the edge of the plastic ever so slightly. Oh well. Klutzs are us.

The video above is helpful but plastic didn't work for me. You need something thin and strong but not sharp. I opened it a crack with one spudger then inserted the second one and widened the gap. Then I move one of the spudgers to the other side which was already slightly open. Once the latches are released the cover comes off easily by pulling down.

There is a vertical screw that holds the rear view mirror assembly to something bigger above it. I was only able to tighten it a quarter or half a turn but it was enough to stop the rattle. There is a long lever arm from that screw to the mirror so small movements at the screw correspond to larger movements of the mirror. It's possible the specified torque (2.5 Nm) is insufficient to stop the rattle. Seems like a sub-optimal design but maybe there's a good reason. The maximum torque for T20 is over 10 Nm (but that may not be the weakest link).

This was a 2021 Model Y.

So just tightening the mirror did the trick? No need to remove the triple camera housing?
Correct. If you can pry off the lower cover and have a T20 then it's very easy. If that screw comes loose again then I plan to use some Loctite on it. My guess is the specified torque is too low to keep the mirror from rattling which is why many of us have this problem.

weird how mine already has a mark like it’s been removed before? Was your mirror noticeably loose or cant tell unless you turn the screw? Also mine is a 22. Does yours have vents on both panels like mine? 4F318E5B-FC67-40AB-A4CA-DEA03B2D1FAD.jpeg

weird how mine already has a mark like it’s been removed before? Was your mirror noticeably loose or cant tell unless you turn the screw? Also mine is a 22. Does yours have vents on both panels like mine?View attachment 848931
Maybe the mark is an intentional notch to make inserting a pry tool easier. My mirror was loose. It would wiggle 1/4" or 1/2" before I tightened the screw. It was very annoying. I have no vents.