Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rearview mirror housing rattle/vibrations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone make a video on how to remove the covering and tighten the screw?
Someone already posted such a video earlier in this thread. The first 3 minutes show removing the lower cover and unscrewing the screw. You, of course, should tighten the screw instead.

The video recommends using a plastic card. I tried that and it didn't work. The Tesla service manual says to use a trim tool. So I used two metal spudgers like the one I linked to above. A knife might work but there is a danger of cutting the plastic or cutting into the latches. Get something that fits into the gap and then wiggle it around to enlarge the gap. This was an easier job than installing mudflaps which was itself very easy.

Reactions: atlchamp
Maybe the mark is an intentional notch to make inserting a pry tool easier. My mirror was loose…
I think your rattle is a little different than the other posts as my mirror is rock solid. The crackle buzzing comes from the triple camera cover, the big black cover that snaps in but needs the mirror cover popped off before it completely releases. Curious to see the fix that a couple folks are getting done by Service. Some have mentioned the tabs not being seated, others said tape was added to silence the buzzing. That sounds more like the fix I’ll need.

I believe I've fixed the rattle in my 22 MYP. I used this tool to pry off the lower mirror cover, but any plastic pry tool should work if its thin and strong enough. I just worked it around the until I could hear the clips pop then you can basically pull it straight down and remove.

pry tool 3.jpeg

Then I removed the mirror with a T20 torx driver. The manual says you need a security T20, but you don't, there is no center "nub" on the screw itself preventing using a normal T20 torx bit. I found it easier to unclip the wire in the back once the mirror was free and I could turn it around.

mirror connection.jpeg

With mirror out of the way, you just need to use a pry tool to free the upper housing front two clips. They pop off pretty easily. I originally removed the entire upper housing, but that is not necessary. Getting the housing free from the head liner was the toughest part, so I recommend you don't even bother.

pry tool.jpeg

You just need to free it enough like the next pic shows to install some rubber feet. What I found when I removed the entire upper housing was if I tapped on the triple camera hood (thats the part the upper housing covers), it sounded very similar to when I hear the rattle or buzzing going over rough roads. Like it was vibrating against the windshield or the upper housing cover. Because of this I thought if I could add some rubber feet to the bottom of this cover, with everything back in place, it would be more securely held against either the windshield or the upper housing cover. The arrow shows where I installed the rubber feet. One on each side and one in the center.

panel lowered.jpeg

Here is a pic of the rubber feet I had laying around. I believe they are about 1/8th inch thick.

rubber feet.jpeg

Here is a pic of what it looks like with the rubber feet installed.

left side feet.jpeg

I then put the upper housing cover back in place, clips right in, and went for a drive before I put the mirror and lower cover back on. I used a section of rough rode that I could always reproduce the rattle and to my hearts content...silence.

This is a pretty easy fix as the only wire you need to disconnect is the mirror and you don't need to remove the entire upper cover, just lower it enough to install the rubber feet. I'll report back if there is any regression, but I think I may have found this rattle. Fingers crossed.

If you only put the rubber feet on the end of the triple cover, then you don’t even have to remove the mirror cap/cover. Did you put the feet any higher (closer to headliner) than the lower edge of the camera cover? Btw did you mirror cap/cover have a little notch like mine? Almost looks like it’s there to help pop it off or someone already messed with mine pre delivery!

SJC3 I only installed the rubber feet towards the end of the triple housing cover, none close to the headliner. The reason being I could only reproduce the sound of the rattle if I tapped towards the end, not if I tapped closer to the headliner. I also did not have a notch in the lower cover, so perhaps someone messed with yours pre delivery. I think you still would need to remove that lower cover and mirror to gain enough working space to install the feet, but perhaps not.

Reactions: SJC3
Just took mine off and once you do the mirror cover once, it’s less worrisome! I used felt tape in a number of areas, including inside the mirror cover to make sure the mirror cable and its retaining string/clip didn’t rattle. It seemed to work on my first test drive but on my next drive, creak creak creak. For my issues, I’m pretty convinced it’s the tight fit plastic rubbing/creaking between the triple cover and mirror cap. Adding a couple pics for people that want to see how the clips are arranged.

Attachments

• 61AF83B6-BC50-43A6-A7B6-0ECDB690569D.jpeg
    61AF83B6-BC50-43A6-A7B6-0ECDB690569D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 339
  • B4E180A2-D805-4313-AB67-EC3DF393FF32.jpeg
    B4E180A2-D805-4313-AB67-EC3DF393FF32.jpeg
    875.8 KB · Views: 351
Reactions: turbof128
This is my latest iteration with painters tape on the inside lip of the mirror cap and it seems to be working. The tape is thin enough and puts a barrier between the two hard plastics that rub tightly.

Also note these white clips that the triple camera cover snaps into. When I pressed on mine, they would make the same creaking sound. So I slapped some felt tape on the flat part above the clip, don’t know if it actually helped though!

Attachments

• 5EAFD37D-1907-4C46-8EDF-8E83E4EAD1DA.jpeg
    5EAFD37D-1907-4C46-8EDF-8E83E4EAD1DA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 367
  • A6D78BA7-3B8F-49D2-B088-6606B2CB8E75.jpeg
    A6D78BA7-3B8F-49D2-B088-6606B2CB8E75.jpeg
    928.2 KB · Views: 350
ok...its been a few days, lots of driving, and I can say that the rattle/buzzing noise I had is 100% gone. SJC3...I think you and I were battling a different noise. I do not have the "creaking" noise you described. Hopefully your fix is working as well.

Reactions: SJC3
Have same problem in My 2022 MYP. Took delivery August 20th, 2022. From day 1 on certain bumpy roads, not all, it would vibrate loudly like a humming. It would also do it when certain frequencies of bass are coming form cars around me, either from their radios or mufflers. It sounds like it is coming form the dash in the center somewhere, but after pressing on everything when its happening I stumbled on it being the plastic camera cover on the windshield that the rearview mirror attached too. I stopped it for now by pushing on it. Im sure that won't last and will be looking to fix. I feel like I will have to do it my self since I don't want to take it in if I don't have too and no one is having luck with Tesla fixing it anyway. Just started to research. Will be following this thread looking for a fix and if I come across one I will post it. Seems like a problem for 2022 MY's

Wife started pointing this out. 😑. It sounds like the smaller housing around the mirror is rubbing against the triple lens cover. Guess I’m booking another appointment. At least through this thread, reading of possible reasons.

Sad to report that all my fixes aren’t working so I don’t advise others putting tape on the mirror cap. My next attempt will focus on those white tabs I pointed out in a past post. I got some thing neoprene tape to see if that helps absorb/dampen vibrations. Creaks Ike this are usually caused by one tiny piece of plastic, so trial and error, I’ll get it!

It worked! So my rattle was more the rear view mirror. You can replicate the issue by just tapping lightling on the black mirror housing. If it shakes/rattles a bit then you have a problem. Also, if you try to move the mirror slightly, you can tell something is off/a little loose. And the stem of the mirror seems a little loose. Followed the video instructions in the third or 4th post to remove the base housing. This was somewhat difficult, though not too terrible. You just need some kind of wedge to open it and slide it down. Once its down, tighten the screw as much as you can with t20 torx. Thats it and the mirror becomes obviously more stable. FINALLY! Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Reactions: BitJam