TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reason.com article: Tesla Motors and the folly of government

Discussion in 'News' started by Macro101, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Macro101

Macro101 Member

2. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

There's two ways you could look at this. One is, "Electric cars suck. They're just government-subsidized expensive glorified golf carts that nobody wants to buy." Or, you could look at it as Elon Musk being opportunistic. I'm not making a moral judgment on the "o" word one way or the other. I find it interesting that the author conveniently omits the fact that Tesla paid off its DOE loans nearly a decade ahead of schedule. I am in agreement about the franchised dealers, however. I think they're just in denial of the inevitable. Frankly, all of their arguments reek of desperation and self-interest.

3. GlennAlanBerry

For what it is worth, Reason.com is a pretty conservative web site. At the risk of offending any conservatives on TMC, it is really not that uncommon to see hostility towards Tesla and EVs from many (but not all) conservatives. Just read the comments section for pretty much any article about Tesla or EVs.

Between the DoE loan (that was paid off years early) and tax credits for EVs, Tesla is a popular target for articles like that.

4. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Actually, Libertarian, big difference...

5. MikeL

MikeL some guy

I just read the Entire comment scroll. Yes, I did have better things to do. Now I'm depressed about having to share this planet with those people :scared: ML

6. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

They've been spoon fed their talking points.

7. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

That may be, but if so they've picked up the conservative habit of using names/slogans that mean the exact opposite of what they're representing.

"Reason.com". "Fair and balanced". "Focus on the family". Need I go on?

8. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Original article is from the Richmond Times-Dispatch. From looking at the author's other columns, he leans libertarian, and has demonstrated some capacity for reasoned thought. Too bad he fell for the EV basher talking head points. The comments in the Richmond T-D article might make you feel better MikeL.

9. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

I thought Elon was Libertarian:confused:

10. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

LOL

11. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

There's Libertarian and then there's Libertarian... if you apply the 'make government deal with only the stuff to make all opportunities equal' then you end up with a fairly Liberal Libertarian. If you apply it as 'make government go away' you end up with Anarchistic Libertarian. And so on...

Mostly, I think, Libertarian means small government. But most people interpret that as 'get rid of all the government I don't like'. So you end up with many different kinds of Libertarians.