Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reason for SR Y discontinued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that is the reason.
No demand, Long Range sales skyrocketed in past 2 months thanx to SR.
Demand for LR is so high that Tesla decided to discontinue SR.
Standard Range after cold weather, degradation, overuse of fart mode and speed over 60mph will have range of only 45 miles left.
SR is also very light because have only one motor, means in strong winds will fly away.
Who is going to buy it ?
Just stick with LR.
The best deal is to put $10k more and get 50 REAL miles .
They will downgrade to 30 miles soon but who knows, maybe Tesla will downgrade your $10k in few years too so you get some cash back.
And yes, its really shame for Tesla to have some inventory cars for "cheap" people, everybody should by LR cuz that will help my stock high and value of my car will hold better.

And last thing, Tesla will upgrade current MY with new console, headlights, heated wheel... in 2 years, dont wait for that,Buy now !
If you want some proof just look at forum posts from 4 months ago!

Enjoy!

The Standard Range (SR) Model Y is a good deal that meets the needs of many drivers. The SR Model Y could be the right EV choice if you rarely if ever drive more than 150 to 200 miles in a day. If you don't need the additional traction and assurance of AWD. If you don't care about the Acceleration Boost (AB) option since AB is only available on the Long Range Model Dual Motor Y. If you plan to keep the Standard Range Model Y for as long as possible since trade in value will be lower than other Model Y configurations. A SR Model Y with the 7 seat configuration will be hard to find.

The SR Plus Model 3 is currently the least expensive Tesla vehicle you can buy. I wonder, what percentage of Model 3 sales are SR+ Model 3?

The Standard Range (SR) Model Y is a good deal that meets the needs of many drivers. The SR Model Y could be the right EV choice if you rarely if ever drive more than 150 to 200 miles in a day. If you don't need the additional traction and assurance of AWD. If you don't care about the Acceleration Boost (AB) option since AB is only available on the Long Range Model Dual Motor Y. If you plan to keep the Standard Range Model Y for as long as possible since trade in value will be lower than other Model Y configurations. A SR Model Y with the 7 seat configuration will be hard to find.

The SR Plus Model 3 is currently the least expensive Tesla vehicle you can buy. I wonder, what percentage of Model 3 sales are SR+ Model 3?

SR M3 came without premium options.
If you look at Tesla website M3SR with many many miles still cost over 30k
Local listings,Carvana etc still sells M3 SR 3 year old cars for more then 30k.
And new one was how much. 35k ?
Lower price cars depreciate less, its always been like that.
I bet you will able to sell your MY SR in one year from now regardless how many miles you have for at least 37-38k.
I think you will lose much more if selling MY LR.
Only thing that can hurt resale value is new cars with new battery and lower price.
And that will happen very soon, as soon they open Texas factory

Only time will tell how well the Standard Range Model Y retains its value compared to the Long Range Model Y and Performance Model Y. As a rule used vehicles with the most factory options sell faster, for more money than do basic models. The basic models will sell but it may take longer especially if you are asking a higher price.

Somewhat true. As you see we have a Nissan Leaf for our second local driving car. It does the job fine for our range needs. But my wife wants more range so she doesn't need to charge up on the way home from her travel days of 60-70 miles one way. She could make it but feels better not driving with only 10 miles range by the time she gets home. Plus, we want the FSD option, so Model Y LR AWD w FSD is going to be our replacement for the Leaf this year. At first I thought the Leaf would work out for local driving only but after a year she began to do more distance 3 times a week and is tired of needing to charge up every 130 miles.

We will still use the MS LR+ for road trips. Less cramped and smoother highway riding.

Reactions: EchoDelta
The SR Y was discontinued due to lower profit margins. There's going to be a lot more demand at $40k than at $49k, and most people don't drive more than 100 miles per day.
If that were true why did Tesla lower the price of the SR Model Y by $2k just one month after introducing the Standard Range configuration? If margins were already strained at $42k how would lowering the price to $39k help increase profitability?

The SR Model Y did not generate sufficient orders even after lowering the price by $2k. For evidence see EV-CPO:

https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

As of Feb 27, 2021 there are 534 new Model Y vehicles in the US in the Tesla Store inventory. Of these 305 (57%) are Standard Range Model Y vehicles. For comparison, there are 217 Long Range Dual Motor Model Y and just 15 Performance Model Y vehicles in the inventory.

In Model 3 inventory there are currently 64 Model 3 vehicles: 50 (78%) are Standard Range RWD Model 3, 7 are Long Range Dual Motor Model 3 and 7 are Performance Model 3.

The thread title seems a bit misleading. Last I heard, the MY SR was not discontinued. It's available "off the menu" similar to how the SR Model 3 was handled.
When Elon says “off the menu” what does he mean? Too many were built and are now sitting stagnant in inventory? Those you can order “off the menu?” MY SRs on the assembly line could very well be discontinued, at least until theres future demand

The more I look at it the more I suspect it was straight demand. It certainly was not profit margin as that would have been a known when announced. If it did not look like a near sure thing the EV credit will return this year I would grab one of the stock cars now. The SR can be purchased on the Tesla sales site. No need to call a advisor or go in. My current I3 has a 115 mile range and that has been plenty for our needs.
The lack of demand however I don’t think is because of the car. Tesla does not advertise. I bet 95% of the car buying public has no idea you could get a Tesla medium sized SUV for 39,000. That leaves less than 5% of the public to generate sales. Virtually everyone I mention I am considering buying a Tesla to immediately says “but they are so expensive”. I explain they can get one under 40k and get a blank stare and then they say they thought they were all over 100k.
If Tesla had spent a bit of change advertising the car I think sales would have been huge. Tesla is entering a new sales position where they will be demand not capacity limited. They are going to need to adjust the marketing plan accordingly.

Last edited:
I don’t think there is very high demand for any of the Model Ys with the possible upcoming tax credit. They tested the market with the SR, and it didn’t do anything to increase the demand. How you create a sense of urgency to generate sales? Cut the price, then tell people it is no longer going to be available. If I was waiting for the tax credit and thinking about the SR, I would have jumped as soon as it was taken off the website. It would be better to get a car that fits my needs for a great price than to wait for a possible tax credit and still end up paying thousands more for miles and AWD, which I do not need.

Last edited:
I think that is the reason.
No demand, Long Range sales skyrocketed in past 2 months thanx to SR.
Demand for LR is so high that Tesla decided to discontinue SR.
Standard Range after cold weather, degradation, overuse of fart mode and speed over 60mph will have range of only 45 miles left.
SR is also very light because have only one motor, means in strong winds will fly away.
Who is going to buy it ?
Just stick with LR.
The best deal is to put $10k more and get 50 REAL miles .
They will downgrade to 30 miles soon but who knows, maybe Tesla will downgrade your $10k in few years too so you get some cash back.
And yes, its really shame for Tesla to have some inventory cars for "cheap" people, everybody should by LR cuz that will help my stock high and value of my car will hold better.

And last thing, Tesla will upgrade current MY with new console, headlights, heated wheel... in 2 years, dont wait for that,Buy now !
If you want some proof just look at forum posts from 4 months ago!

Enjoy!
m

Well said, and completely agree. Thank you for being so brave.

If that were true why did Tesla lower the price of the SR Model Y by $2k just one month after introducing the Standard Range configuration? If margins were already strained at $42k how would lowering the price to $39k help increase profitability?

The SR Model Y did not generate sufficient orders even after lowering the price by $2k. For evidence see EV-CPO:

https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

As of Feb 27, 2021 there are 534 new Model Y vehicles in the US in the Tesla Store inventory. Of these 305 (57%) are Standard Range Model Y vehicles. For comparison, there are 217 Long Range Dual Motor Model Y and just 15 Performance Model Y vehicles in the inventory.

In Model 3 inventory there are currently 64 Model 3 vehicles: 50 (78%) are Standard Range RWD Model 3, 7 are Long Range Dual Motor Model 3 and 7 are Performance Model 3.
You make a good point about the EV-CPO and lack of demand. I think Tesla made some financial calculations that they would be more profitable by lowering the price of LR AWD by $1K to sell more of them then to sell more of the SR RWD.

Reactions: EV-CPO
I don’t think there is very high demand for any of the Model Ys with the possible upcoming tax credit. They tested the market with the SR, and it didn’t do anything to increase the demand. How you create a sense of urgency to generate sales? Cut the price, then tell people it is no longer going to be available. If I was waiting for the tax credit and thinking about the SR, I would have jumped as soon as it was taken off the website. It would be better to get a car that fits my needs for a great price than to wait for a possible tax credit and still end up paying thousands more for miles and AWD, which I do not need.

I agree because I just did that. I purchased Y SR from the remaining inventory when they announced SR will be discontinued. I kind of knew they were doing that to increase the demand, but I did not want to take a chance.

Elon said he wanted to take the SR off the website ordering as the uninformed may not understand the limitations of the smaller range.

Only those in the know, and probably understand the limitations better, will be able to order off the menu versions.

Once the current unsold production is gone I am told the SR will not be available even off menu. There are however hundreds of SR’s available for immediate delivery. I suspect if any are left by the end of the quarter there may be some nice incentives.

Once the current unsold production is gone I am told the SR will not be available even off menu. There are however hundreds of SR’s available for immediate delivery. I suspect if any are left by the end of the quarter there may be some nice incentives.

Advisor said the SRs are going fast.. i had a link for 3 of them i was looking at near me and all show as unavailable.. people are grabbing them fast.

39990 for a model y, larger then 3, premium audio system, auto close trunk, hatchback providing more interior, large full glass roof, fog lights. its a no brainer at that price.

it was pulled as it was eating into sales of the 3 makes the most sense... why have a y with such better features for only 3k more then model 3...

Reactions: MIT_S60