Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reason for SR Y discontinued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said he wanted to take the SR off the website ordering as the uninformed may not understand the limitations of the smaller range.

Only those in the know, and probably understand the limitations better, will be able to order off the menu versions.

Can someone confirm that "off the menu" means having to find an inventory SR Y, and that you can't custom order a SR Y over the phone or in person?

Can someone confirm that "off the menu" means having to find an inventory SR Y, and that you can't custom order a SR Y over the phone or in person?

My SA said there would be no more SR Y available once the remaining inventory is gone, but that's just my SA. Even if it's not true, many SA will say this to sell the remaining inventory first. I did not want to take a chance, so I just purchased one from the remaining inventory. You might want to check with your SA or dealer near you.

My SA said there would be no more SR Y available once the remaining inventory is gone, but that's just my SA. Even if it's not true, many SA will say this to sell the remaining inventory first. I did not want to take a chance, so I just purchased one from the remaining inventory. You might want to check with your SA or dealer near you.

i wouldn't think that Tesla SAs are like typical dealers though to just say this to sell the remaining inventory. Maybe they don't know. We do know that the 3 SR was off menu for a while

Why would anyone in the know buy any Tesla today? $7k would be a huge psychological hit.

I have a 70D which has a lower EPA than a SRY. I have 90k miles on it. The range is not a problem for me.

But what I really want is a $33k SRY - ie with tax credit. Otherwise, I can keep my car another few years.

Last edited:
Why would anyone in the know buy any Tesla today? $7k would be a huge psychological hit.

I have a 70D which has a lower EPA than a SRY. I have 90k miles on it. The range is not a problem for me.

But what I really want is a $33k SRY - ie with tax credit. Otherwise, I can keep my car another few years.

I still think if they eventually bring back the fed tax credit for Tesla (and GM), it will be retroactive to the beginning of this year, not the date the bill is signed into law. They've done that several times for the federal EVSE tax credit. I think one time they renewed it in December and it expired like 2 weeks later, but all installations done during that tax year were still eligible for the credit.

I still think if they eventually bring back the fed tax credit for Tesla (and GM), it will be retroactive to the beginning of this year, not the date the bill is signed into law. They've done that several times for the federal EVSE tax credit. I think one time they renewed it in December and it expired like 2 weeks later, but all installations done during that tax year were still eligible for the credit.

The main bill that has left committee in the house specifically states the credit will only be effective as of date of signing.

I just purchased one without the credit, why wait as you get older. I will purchase another MYLR when credit arrives..you can never have too many Teslas...

Not too much competition for what you get on the MYSR for the money. I think most purchasing a Tesla are not price sensitive...
Great to hear you're happy with your new MYSR, congrats!
The SR is definitely a great value, I'm seriously considering it right now and I've done my math, even if they bring back the tax credit later this year a MY LR will still be significantly more expensive than a MY SR right now.
Here in WA we have $2500 sales tax credit for EVs under $45k, that means LR is out of the question, with that factored into my calculation and at a sales tax rate of 10.3% a MYSR will cost me $43,042 out of the door including destination and tax. A MY LR will cost me $48,469 even after the $7k credit, and $55,469 before.
So even with the tax credit a LR will still be almost $5500 more than a SR, and over $12k more if the bill doesn't pass.
However I have to agree with you that people shopping for Teslas are probably not price sensitive, maybe that's why there is less demand for the MY SR, and hence Tesla's removal of it from the website. The only other reason I can think of is significant battery change (i.e. to LFP cells).