Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reason why no Apple Carplay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple relaxed the hardware requirement a while back. CarPlay can now be implemented purely with software.

I personally hope that Tesla adds support for CarPlay at some point in the future, particularly as competing EVs are released to the market that have support for it.

As to why Tesla hasn’t added it to their cars - the answer is simply “Because”

I also believe Apple asks for a $$’S for use of CarPlay and clearly Tesla isn’t interested in this. It cal also be that the UI interface will impact the existing Tesla UI or that Apple has yet to develop a way of creating CarPlay without taking up the whole screen for the Tesla. It may be that CarPlay just won’t work on the Tesla interface as each car has its own handshake to allow for communication. We can speculate as much as we like, but Elon if you are reading this, can you work this out and get us to at least play our favourite streaming apps and allow the appropriate Software to somehow work in harmony with the Tesla interface.
Calendar bookings, shortest distance to hospitals, listening to Spotify, finding a cool restaurant that a friend sent me and was automatically added to my calendar are all unavailable features that I would love to see again...

I think it’s sad that we live in a world of interoperability and yet with all the leading cutting edge technology in a Tesla it doesn’t allow what we take for granted..., adaptability!

I'd like Chromecast support when parked for unsupported streaming platforms. Access to Google Assistant would be great too.

I just use TheTeslaTheater.com for all my streaming needs. It works really well because I can lookup any website and have it played as fullscreen! Just check the help section for a video showing how to get it playing in fullscreen. It displays everything nicely and the buttons are nice and big!

The Tesla Theater.png

apple does not charge the automobile manufacture to integrate car play. they give it free.

when I started gathering info about the model 3, I thought I would miss carplay the most, but as Tesla add more features to support the iphone it seems now its less needed. in the near future.
I never liked apples junky gps app, but google maps used to be really good. but now that texas has pretty much every single road in the state under heavy construction, google maps is as bad as apples.. never liked waze…. so we shall see how teslas navigation does in the crap that is texas roads. seems the only thing I will truly miss now from my Honda Civic is lane watch. there is absolutely no blind spot with that thing.. but my son will have the civic now.

but I am all for them adding support still. would be nice to see a picture of whos calling, and also while playing songs from my iPhone. I don't like streaming services much.. but personal preferences, but it I don't get that no big deal.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Honestly I would just be fine if they added Siri hands free and an option to login into Apple Music. "Hey Siri open my garage door" and tell Elon to f off with his $300 home link.
I already do this. Hey Siri works with HomeKit in my Tesla just fine. The only thing I miss is iMessage honestly. I just use the MyQ for my garage door which links to HomeKit. Having to unlock the phone to open the garage is the worst part of HomeKit though.

Definitely needs 3rd party support. I have youtube music/ google music and use waze. I can't do any of that with the Tesla, huge downgrade from my Honda Clarity even if the overall infotainment is superior. Teslawaze helps a bit but again a workaround.

There is absolutely no reason why Tesla shouldn’t have these basic features. They aren’t Hard to add... even if they add there own version of features like txt message support, at least it would be something. I don’t see them ever adding car play due to there UI. It wouldn’t make sense to add it. I literally just got my model 3 performance and honestly it is a HUGE loss not having simple and easy features like the ones states In this thread.

There is absolutely no reason why Tesla shouldn’t have these basic features. They aren’t Hard to add... even if they add there own version of features like txt message support, at least it would be something. I don’t see them ever adding car play due to there UI. It wouldn’t make sense to add it. I literally just got my model 3 performance and honestly it is a HUGE loss not having simple and easy features like the ones states In this thread.

They do have full text message support... was in a December update.