Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reason why no Apple Carplay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It it will notify, read and respond to messages all by voice. Not sure what else CarPlay does better in that regard. CarPlay just looks prettier.
Several things that are more than cosmetic.

For example, you don’t have to look at the screen or tap it, you can do everything verbally/aurally by interaction with Siri including correcting your message. You can interrupt it reading back. You can also see your entire message history, not just new stuff since you got in the car. Initiating messages (like calls) can be done on nicknames or sensible selections from that history. I know a lot of people with the same first name and surnames. Siri used to make the intelligent selection.

In fairness to Tesla, Apple’s support was rubbish when it first came out too. They have worked on it for a few years though and there are lots of little things that make it more practical and safer to use in my view.

I’m sure the Tesla folks have thought long and hard about Android Auto and CarPlay before deciding to build their own stuff, but they will take a long time to deliver something as good and maintain parity. I used to get frustrated with Siri, I would love to get that in the Tesla on a held down steering wheel button.

I have a Nissan LEAF and a Model 3. The one area (besides price) that the LEAF is way better than the Model 3 is CarPlay. Having it as a feature doesn’t require anyone to use it.

CarPlay enables lots of smart phone integrations like:
  • Start a podcast without pulling my phone from my pocket
  • Skipping 15s forward in a podcast
  • Send/Receive text messages
  • Navigate to the address of one of my Phone contacts
  • Use Apple Maps when Tesla Nav is retarded (routing me to a store of the correct name 20 miles away instead of the one 3 miles ahead)

Reactions: Msjulie
Yep, txt messaging just needs to mature some to really be a CarPlay replacement. Ability to cancel read back, adjust volume, and make it actually reply. I’ve tried everything and I still can’t get my iPhone 11 Pro Max to reply to other iMessage contacts yet if i message myself it will respond to myself fine. Again, small tweaks will make it really useful. I can already say hey Siri to access anything on my phone but seeing the txt message onscreen would be very nice. And yes, native Apple Music would rock. They prob have an agreement with Spotify preventing that though. They could do a windowed CarPlay and make a lot of users happy, IMO. Still love my AWD+ though.

Reactions: matt_net_zero
Skipping 15s forward in a podcast

1. Click the left steering wheel button rightwards. That works with Android PocketCasts. BUT don't do it with a podcast from the car's internet connection -- it will skip forward to the next podcast.

I have a Nissan LEAF and a Model 3. The one area (besides price) that the LEAF is way better than the Model 3 is CarPlay.

The Leaf's 360° view is super helpful when parking and unparking. Isn't it an obvious feature to be able to look through the Model 3 side cameras for that? (The front cameras are too high up to help.)

I don’t see how it would be possible with the angle of the cameras. My truck has this and I honestly never even look at the bird eye view. It is pretty cool though. Probably better for people who don’t back in.

You don't see how turning on the side view camera is possible? (that's the post to which I replied) Just look at some dashcam or sentry video sometime- same angle.

I didn't say overhead view- THAT is physically impossible.

You don't see how turning on the side view camera is possible? (that's the post to which I replied) Just look at some dashcam or sentry video sometime- same angle.

I didn't say overhead view- THAT is physically impossible.

My mis-understanding. I am all for turning on the side cameras, especially while driving, and being triggered by the blinker. I tweeted Elon this.

Reactions: Transformer
Stupid People.jpg

Yep, txt messaging just needs to mature some to really be a CarPlay replacement. Ability to cancel read back, adjust volume, and make it actually reply. I’ve tried everything and I still can’t get my iPhone 11 Pro Max to reply to other iMessage contacts yet if i message myself it will respond to myself fine. Again, small tweaks will make it really useful. I can already say hey Siri to access anything on my phone but seeing the txt message onscreen would be very nice. And yes, native Apple Music would rock. They prob have an agreement with Spotify preventing that though. They could do a windowed CarPlay and make a lot of users happy, IMO. Still love my AWD+ though.

+ Tesla txt interface can't handle replying to group messaging yet in iMessage. It will actually reply to the person who sent the last text.
Never tried, but I'm pretty sure CarPlay also has better support for my Dual Sim iPhone...

CarPlay takes over the NAV, which Tesla can't allow.

I get this, but I'm not sure it's correct. Maps in CarPlay doesn't control anything; it's really just a moving image with audio alerts. Presumably CarPlay would exist in its own window, with Tesla nav still always on in the background, doing its normal Tesla duties.

No expert, so I could easily be wrong. Sure would love my CarPlay though.

I get this, but I'm not sure it's correct. Maps in CarPlay doesn't control anything; it's really just a moving image with audio alerts. Presumably CarPlay would exist in its own window, with Tesla nav still always on in the background, doing its normal Tesla duties.

The basic way CarPlay works is to project an image to a qualified display and expect messages sent back to it based on user input like tapping or panning or turning knobs, etc

That is a super simplification but it basically illustrates that car play can be quite passive; the only reason (outside of REASONS) a carmaker would avoid it would be the minimal cost for the MFI program (pass it on to the buyer Tesla if you must!) and some level of testing to satisfy Apple. I don't know but thought I read someplace that Android Auto was also moving toward a model requiring better validation of compliant devices (most are done 3rd party on behalf of car makers for both)