Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasonable Vehicle Quality Expectation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am trying to understand is what is a reasonable quality threshold past which it is OK to refuse a car on delivery.

I am well aware that Tesla have issues with QC on cosmetic and paneling defects and that most of them are ok probably since one wins on other areas (power train, engine and driving experience).

Reason I’m asking is that I just refused 2 Model 3 D back to back this week, and start questioning my expectations despite the Tesla employees telling me that it was understandable that I would refuse the vehicles.

story:
I ordered a Tesla M3D midnight grey a few weeks ago and had it delivered on Sunday 09/22 in Marina del Rey CA.

I refused that vehicle because it had damage that would have required a trip to the shop to correct. It had gap issues on the chrome trim around the windows but most of them have.

I was told to go home and that someone would contact me and spent 2 days trying to reach out to someone in order to know what the next steps were. I managed to reach out to the sales man who told me that a car would be ready 2 days later (9/26). I stated the obvious « could you please make sure that the car is inspected before delivery »

I went to pick up the second delivery and it ended up being in worst condition than the first one.
Scratches all over the front bumper (some of them came out after someone spending time on it), Scratch on the back bumper, scratch on the central console. Minor paint defects (paint dust pimples, and white spots under the coat). The deal breaker was a small ding on the crease edge of the driver side back door.

I also refused the vehicle. I asked the employee if this was on par with Tesla’s the quality standard and he wasn’t comfortable answering.

The first picture is the main paint issue on the first vehicle, the other pictures are from the second vehicle)

They gave me a new appointment for tomorrow 9/27 10am.

Finger crossed.

I am curious to know what people think is acceptable and what would be ok to have Tesla fix after delivery.

Thanks!
Charles.

PS: The reason I expect them to inspect and fix things before delivery is that it’s going to be my second M3D, the first one was bought back full price a month ago by Tesla after spending 7 weeks in repair over the first 9 months. I’d like to avoid going through half that next time.

Attachments

• 20D502FF-38A2-4FAB-9982-E3D45CA5DEFA.jpeg
    20D502FF-38A2-4FAB-9982-E3D45CA5DEFA.jpeg
    820.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 5C029185-BF8D-4056-8EAC-DEA0FD8AE55A.jpeg
    5C029185-BF8D-4056-8EAC-DEA0FD8AE55A.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 3A631CF4-425A-46DB-982F-1D556DA737D5.jpeg
    3A631CF4-425A-46DB-982F-1D556DA737D5.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 115
  • D772ECF9-A7E7-4A4A-8955-2CBF80F01286.jpeg
    D772ECF9-A7E7-4A4A-8955-2CBF80F01286.jpeg
    798.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 7928703A-444A-4D6F-8C15-369DF380BCA6.jpeg
    7928703A-444A-4D6F-8C15-369DF380BCA6.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 0339DEF7-F859-4564-BCD7-A030A5129D83.jpeg
    0339DEF7-F859-4564-BCD7-A030A5129D83.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 105
Your first Model 3 was in repair for 7 weeks and you are going back to buy a second. That’s impressive!

No, you are not being unreasonable. Tesla does have cars that are perfect or close enough. The issues you described are unacceptable but most people end up taking delivery without noticing them. Then they get home and start seeing all the flaws and post rants on this forum complaining because they didn’t do their job properly inspecting the vehicle before taking it home.

I’ve purchased three Model 3’s this year. I had to reject two of them but the other three were really flawless. So you just have to do your due diligence and wait for a good one. Be patient. They are out there.

Thanks for the reply, this is where I stand, I see many Tesla’s that are great and I have friend that haven’t had a single issue.

Your first Model 3 was in repair for 7 weeks and you are going back to buy a second. That’s impressive!

Buying a Tesla was more for practical reasons than the love of the brand. I commute 60 miles / day, drive 600 miles on the weekends and quite often on snow, if there was an equivalent vehicle I would have considered it after the buy back.

Ordered a second 3 yesterday. My first one delivered in August of this year was near perfect. 1 VERY small mark on the edge of the rear bumper at the quarter panel - BARELY noticeable but I am particular. It rubbed out once I got home.

I'm praying my next one here soon is perfect as well. Roll of the dice with the 3rd quarter push.

I am trying to understand is what is a reasonable quality threshold past which it is OK to refuse a car on delivery.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Inspect the vehicle and only accept one that meets your quality thresholds. If you inspect it and don't notice an issue during delivery, that's probably the bar for what is reasonable for you - if you notice it later, and you did a thorough pre-delivery inspection, the defect is evidently not really obvious enough (to you) to be a problem - so you can just forget about those ones.

Definitely don't settle. To some extent I settled (nothing particularly major), but I still haven't had my doors adjusted straight (it's been nearly a year - just haven't wanted to bring it in). It's nice to not have to worry about taking it back in.

I picked up the third delivery this morning. The car looked great. There was 1 minor defects.

The rubber joint of the rear door on the inside is a bit warped but I figured that it was minor enough to not fight it either as the defect doesn’t impact its function.

The car drove great, no noticeable vibration noises. (My previous M3D was bad in that regard).

Bottom line I recommend to people to inspect their car and do not accept a vehicle if the Tesla employee mentions that issue can be taken car of at the service center later. Especially since they don’t have loaner vehicles anymore (LA Centinella - LA Torrance)

Thanks all for the feedback.

Attachments

• 505A8DBD-8399-4600-B72F-AA887AAB01A0.jpeg
    505A8DBD-8399-4600-B72F-AA887AAB01A0.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 79
I picked up the third delivery this morning. The car looked great. There was 1 minor defects.

The rubber joint of the rear door on the inside is a bit warped but I figured that it was minor enough to not fight it either as the defect doesn’t impact its function.

The car drove great, no noticeable vibration noises. (My previous M3D was bad in that regard).

Bottom line I recommend to people to inspect their car and do not accept a vehicle if the Tesla employee mentions that issue can be taken car of at the service center later. Especially since they don’t have loaner vehicles anymore (LA Centinella - LA Torrance)

Glad you got a car which worked for you.

Not sure, but if you poke around online you might be able to find a way to fix that seal yourself. It is one continuous seal (I think) so it just gets a bit bunched in one spot.

Or (safer), just ignore until at some point in the distant future when you take it in to service they can address it. You might have it noted on your due bill or “early issues” list now, for their (and your) records. Obviously it is not important.

Congrats, OP. You absolutely did the right thing. I did not. I am over 2 hrs from service so I accepted delivery of minor issues out of inconvenience only for service and their body shop to fubar the car... Always take delivery only if you have looked the car over closely and are accepting of its condition because paint rework can be a roll of the dice. Interior plastic or seal issues I would accept, body work no way!