TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Reasons for Wheel Size

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PRSIST, Jul 12, 2017.

1. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

From a novice to those in the know....What darn difference does it make if I have 18", or 19", or whatever size wheels? If I have to pick a size for my M3, it might be beneficial if I knew what dang difference does it make. All I know is that they all roll down the highway. I don't have a clue as to why I should buy one over the other. Is it purely appearance or is there a technical reason?

I hope I'm not alone in this lack of knowledge.

If you know, would you share the whys?

• Like x 1
  2. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

Generally smaller wheels mean less road noise. They are also lighter so you'll get better range, but the difference will be minor. The tires will also last longer.

But larger wheels look cooler...

• Like x 7
  3. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

I forgot, the ride will be smoother with smaller wheels too.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

Huuh, rims are jewelry for cars. It's like what's the use of that larger diamond compared to that smaller diamond? One looks more baller.

There are some functional differences too in terms of cornering performance. For most people and under most circumstances, it doesn't matter.

• Like x 2
  5. Big-T

Big-T Member

Someone else can tell me if I'm wrong, but in general it seems the larger tire options tend to wear out faster and are more expensive. So I'd expect that going 19" on the Model 3 will cause me to replace more expensive tires, more often than the 18" option.

• Like x 3
  6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

1. Longer lasting (Does not assume the same type of tire in both sizes)
    2. More ride comfort and shock absorption. (The sidewall is higher so the flex zone is larger in the smaller wheel size)
    3. Lower cost (assumes the same type of tire in both sizes)
    4. Likely better availability (More tires are made in 18" than in 19". Does not assume the same type of tire in both sizes)

• Like x 2
  7. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

There will be a price difference but its not like going from 16" to 22"

• Like x 1
  8. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Yep everyone is right... You get bigger wheels for the looks and sometimes gives you better cornering performance.

Otherwise you read benifits of 18" above

• Like x 3
  9. 206er

206er Member

This.

The only metric that really matters with rim/tire size is ballerness. Small wheel - less baller. Big wheel - more baller.

10. Haxster

Haxster Member

Larger wheels (i.e. lower profile tires) are more vulnerable to tire punctures from pot holes (we have a lot of these in California) and curb mishaps. These sorts of tire punctures can often not be repaired and can also cause damage to the wheels (which usually CAN be repaired).

• Like x 3
  11. Big-T

Big-T Member

Here's a (somewhat related) question? Does anyone know if all the rim styles will be available in both 18 and 19" versions? I don't like the spoke style, but I don't know if the other main style of rims shown on the RC's will come in 18" versions?

• Like x 2
  12. Haxster

Haxster Member

I can't answer your question, but...
    One strategy some buyers use on current Teslas is to get the standard wheels, mount the tires (and tire pressure sensors) on aftermarket wheels that you like, then either keep the standard wheels for winter tires or sell them to someone else. There should be a good resale market for M3 wheels...especially in the Seattle area. And nice aftermarket wheels can be much less expensive than in the old days.

And who knows, you might find that you actually like the standard wheels and decide to keep them (or PlastiDip them).

13. timk225

timk225 Member

1. I don't like the way ANY large rim sizes look.
    2. Tires for larger rim sizes are more expensive.
    3. I would be perfectly happy with 18 inch rims on my 3. Or 17 inch, or 16 inch.....
    4. Smaller rims = more tire sidewall = smoother ride.
    5, "Better handling" for larger rims is a dumb reason. It's true but not necessary for street cars. How many of you are drifting sideways around the corners while going into your local supermarket parking lot for shopping?

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  14. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

That is the only way I enter my supermarket parking lot.

• Funny x 11
    • Like x 2
  15. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I don't know why people say that. I really can't see a difference.

18" rims mean I'll probably be able to get standard winter rims from Costco.

16. animorph

animorph Member

Hey, I used to do that with my Porsche, and with a loaner P85+, while coming back from the supermarket. Had to pack the groceries carefully! Haven't worked up enough confidence to try it in the Model X with all-season tires. Of course, one of the reasons I got the X was so that I wouldn't be doing that any more...

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. TerrapinThief

TerrapinThief Member

Tyre Reviews did a youtube video where they review the same tire on the same car (VW GTI), just with different wheel size. Worth a watch.

• Informative x 9
  18. Big-T

Big-T Member

Looks like 18' is the way to go, thanks Tyre Review :)

19. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

I've got 18' wheels on my current car, and to me it's the perfect size. Good looking yet not exaggerated, and costs for replacement tires are reasonable enough. Ride comfort also what I expect. I hope the standard (?) wheels on the Model 3 are 18' and have the design of SN#1.

20. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

The tire width is also important and is needed to match the vehicle acceleration. Higher performance = wider tires to maintain grip. If you need a 245+ width tire it may look more "normal" on a 19" wheel vs an 18" wheel.
    The P cars will come with 20" most likely, with a course narrower sidewalls for corning stability