Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasons for Wheel Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a novice to those in the know....What darn difference does it make if I have 18", or 19", or whatever size wheels? If I have to pick a size for my M3, it might be beneficial if I knew what dang difference does it make. All I know is that they all roll down the highway. I don't have a clue as to why I should buy one over the other. Is it purely appearance or is there a technical reason?

I hope I'm not alone in this lack of knowledge.

If you know, would you share the whys?

Reactions: RubberToe
From a novice to those in the know....What darn difference does it make if I have 18", or 19", or whatever size wheels? If I have to pick a size for my M3, it might be beneficial if I knew what dang difference does it make. All I know is that they all roll down the highway. I don't have a clue as to why I should buy one over the other. Is it purely appearance or is there a technical reason?

I hope I'm not alone in this lack of knowledge.

If you know, would you share the whys?

Generally smaller wheels mean less road noise. They are also lighter so you'll get better range, but the difference will be minor. The tires will also last longer.

But larger wheels look cooler...

1. Longer lasting (Does not assume the same type of tire in both sizes)
2. More ride comfort and shock absorption. (The sidewall is higher so the flex zone is larger in the smaller wheel size)
3. Lower cost (assumes the same type of tire in both sizes)
4. Likely better availability (More tires are made in 18" than in 19". Does not assume the same type of tire in both sizes)

Reactions: Xenius and PRSIST
Huuh, rims are jewelry for cars. It's like what's the use of that larger diamond compared to that smaller diamond? One looks more baller.

There are some functional differences too in terms of cornering performance. For most people and under most circumstances, it doesn't matter.
This.

The only metric that really matters with rim/tire size is ballerness. Small wheel - less baller. Big wheel - more baller.

Here's a (somewhat related) question? Does anyone know if all the rim styles will be available in both 18 and 19" versions? I don't like the spoke style, but I don't know if the other main style of rims shown on the RC's will come in 18" versions?
I can't answer your question, but...
One strategy some buyers use on current Teslas is to get the standard wheels, mount the tires (and tire pressure sensors) on aftermarket wheels that you like, then either keep the standard wheels for winter tires or sell them to someone else. There should be a good resale market for M3 wheels...especially in the Seattle area. And nice aftermarket wheels can be much less expensive than in the old days.

And who knows, you might find that you actually like the standard wheels and decide to keep them (or PlastiDip them).

1. I don't like the way ANY large rim sizes look.
2. Tires for larger rim sizes are more expensive.
3. I would be perfectly happy with 18 inch rims on my 3. Or 17 inch, or 16 inch.....
4. Smaller rims = more tire sidewall = smoother ride.
5, "Better handling" for larger rims is a dumb reason. It's true but not necessary for street cars. How many of you are drifting sideways around the corners while going into your local supermarket parking lot for shopping?

5, "Better handling" for larger rims is a dumb reason. It's true but not necessary for street cars. How many of you are drifting sideways around the corners while going into your local supermarket parking lot for shopping?

Hey, I used to do that with my Porsche, and with a loaner P85+, while coming back from the supermarket. Had to pack the groceries carefully! Haven't worked up enough confidence to try it in the Model X with all-season tires. Of course, one of the reasons I got the X was so that I wouldn't be doing that any more...

The tire width is also important and is needed to match the vehicle acceleration. Higher performance = wider tires to maintain grip. If you need a 245+ width tire it may look more "normal" on a 19" wheel vs an 18" wheel.
The P cars will come with 20" most likely, with a course narrower sidewalls for corning stability