Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasons for Wheel Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't find a picture and as I am on my iPad I can't create one. Here is a link to a popular mechanics article on it though.
The Pros and Cons of Low-Profile Tires

Nice article; though, "I'm on my iPad" isn't a valid excuse, I did this using Keynote (which is now free) in well under a minute ;)

IMG_0372.jpg

The Prius forums used to be awash with posts from people reporting large fuel economy losses after they replaced the stock 15 inch wheels with 18 and 19 inch.

Has technology changed this, or were other factors in play ? I used to think the effect was due to wider tyres leading to greater friction but I'm not even sure of that bit of physics anymore.

The Prius forums used to be awash with posts from people reporting large fuel economy losses after they replaced the stock 15 inch wheels with 18 and 19 inch.

Has technology changed this, or were other factors in play ? I used to think the effect was due to wider tyres leading to greater friction but I'm not even sure of that bit of physics anymore.
If the rims are the same but different size, weight of the bigger wheels would contribute to the loss of range. Wider tires also contribute to that.

Alright, I am sold on the bigger wheels.

Can someone explain to me the appeal of bigger wheels? You lose like 2-3% of your highway-speed range going from 19" to 21" wheels. What's the attraction of them? Is it purely a style thing, pretending that your car is "tough" or something?

I guess I'm just too into efficiency to understand that thought process :)

You lose like 2-3% of your highway-speed range going from 19" to 21" wheels.
You loose even more, like over 5%, depending on exact weight of the chosen rims and tires.

What's the attraction of them?
First is the looks, second is the looks and as a distant third comes the responsiveness to the steering input.
They often cite the handling but this one is moot, handling could also get worse.

In general cars drive best with stock wheels with smallest rims (i.e. base trim).

Reactions: democappy and Jayc
How about the efficiency of the invertor and the motor?

They can contribute, but the drive train is pretty efficient to begin with. At low speeds the key factor is friction in the moving parts, which is proportional to the weight. At higher speeds the biggest factor is aerodynamic drag.

Can someone explain to me the appeal of bigger wheels? You lose like 2-3% of your highway-speed range going from 19" to 21" wheels. What's the attraction of them? Is it purely a style thing, pretending that your car is "tough" or something?

I don't get the bigger wheels thing either. Larger wheels contribute a little to cornering performance, but they wear out quicker, are more prone to damage and IMO can look goofy. Smaller wheels are more efficient, last longer and are less prone to damage.

I'm not into sports cars, I'll sacrifice a little handling for all the upsides of smaller wheels. I wish 17 inch wheels were available for the Model S, I would have gone for them.

No thought process. These ones look nice to me, the aeros don't. If aesthetics weren't important, maybe I would consider a Bolt.

Reactions: tracksyde
No thought process. These ones look nice to me, the aeros don't. If aesthetics weren't important, maybe I would consider a Bolt.

Preferences change overtime. My guess is that aero wheels are going to become very popular over the next 10 years or so. I am rather stunned at how good this new version looks, seriously considering them. I used to love the diamond spokes on Trans-ams and later BMWs, then spinners where big and of course those spokes and white walls in the 70s. Beauty is in the eye and all. If caring about the environment is S3XY then aero wheels will be sexy. Especially if they are just covers that can snap on and off. I will 100% buy whatever wheels that work with that.

Definitely possible. I don't mean to dissuade anyone from the aeros, it's just a personal preference. I also have a strong preference for the wheel being a contrasting color from the tire, so it's entirely possible that if the aeros came in silver, I would choose them too.

Reactions: DR61
And as we all know, the type of tire can impact range as well as air pressure. I replaced low rolling resistance tires on a Fusion Energi with something a little more grippier for confidence in the rain and the electric range went down a few miles.

Reactions: DR61
Everyone that is concerned with a loss of range with larger wheels and tires should be far more concerned with tire choice and making sure they always use good low rolling resistance (LLR) tires.

The MPG difference between a non-LLR tire and a quality LLR tire can easily be 8% or more. Even the difference between a mediocre LLR tire and a quality LLR tire can be 4% or more.

When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

Anecdotally, I put LLR tires on the family minivan and through observation over 40k miles felt they offered a 5% increase in MPG (and they werent even Michelin Energy Savers).

Last edited: