TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reasons I like my "classic" nose cone

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tomas, Apr 25, 2016.

1. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

1) It makes the car distinctive, not mistakable for anything else from front. To me, new styling makes it more generic, front view no longer immediately clues: "Model S!"
    2) More frunk room!!!!!
    3) Acts as a front bumper. Easily (and cheaply) replaceable in case of scratches or damage.

Classic owners, chime in!

• Like x 5
  2. ddimit

ddimit Member

Agreed, not a fan of the new look

• Like x 1
  3. sorka

sorka Active Member

More frunk room?

4. tomas

yes. there are photos on other threads. combo of new nose restyling and cabin air filter results in much reduced frunk.

5. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

Reason I like the new nose: I think it looks better.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  6. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

I don't like the new look at all.

• Like x 1
  7. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

I like owning the original Musk design that changed the world. It's beautiful.

Besides, not a fan of the painted sills which make the car look bigger and less sleek - from a profile view. Especially in white.

8. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

The new nose is too conservative, and if I end up buying one I'm replacing it with a better aftermarket. And painting the sills (as many here thought they wanted for so long) makes the car look thicker, not slimmer.

I think there are better styles than the old one with chrome "fish lips", but painting it to the body color (if darker), or satin black (to reduce its apparent siiize), is an improvement.

9. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

Reason I like the nose cone. I bought my Model S 2 months ago and it's what I have.

Yea that is the answer I will go with.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. byan1232

byan1232 Member

I prefer the classic nose cone. It's cheap to replace than the aluminum. Once the aluminum is scratched or dented, it's going to cost ALOT to get it fixed.

• Like x 1
  11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Only from the new filter, not the new front end.

12. sorka

sorka Active Member

The new front is not aluminum.

• Like x 1
  13. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

Spacex dragon.jpg I posted this picture on a similar thread a couple of weeks ago. Pure physics tell us, riding a Model S rocket requires a nose cone!

14. Lightmatrix

Lightmatrix Member

I'm not sure if I like it or not fully just yet still looks a bit frunky to me... I do love the nose cone of "previous" gen S. Just my unimportant 2 cents lol

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Please define.

16. whitex

whitex Member

Have you seen cars like Ford Fusion? Unless DLR's are on (and you know the S DLR shape), from a distance you may not be able to distinguish.

PS> I prefer the old design as well, though the bio-defense-mode would be nice when traveling on highways passing through freshly fertilized fields, or when behind a VW TDI (the latter Elon mentioned during the X launch, but seems to be edited out from the launch video on TM site). I'd give up the frunk space for that as the requirement to use both hands to safely close it makes it useless for anything other than hat and sunglasses storage (since whatever you take out of the frunk you must not hold in your hands in order to be able to use them both to close the frunk).

17. Lightmatrix

Lightmatrix Member

Lol, everyone is saying the Frunk is smaller in the new design... so I thought I'd create a portmanteau of "Funky" (what some might say the new front looks like) and "Frunk" (The storage space underneath the new hood).

Personally, I barely use the Frunk space.

• Like x 1
  18. tomas

Actually there's a recent thread with video that says ALL post facelift will have same frunk. Makes sense. Simpler production, less parts.

• Like x 1
  19. sorka

sorka Active Member

I saw the video. I was just pointing out that the reason we lose frunk space is because of Bio Hazard, but the loss of the nose cone.

20. rocketdallas

rocketdallas Member

I like the new look, but prefer our "classic" front end. I think the original design looks more sporty and aggressive, whereas the new design has a more luxury sedan look. Not bad at all, but I like the slightly more aggressive look to our classic design. Also, try as I might, I cannot seem to avoid occasional scratching under the front bumper on sharp dips or surface changes to the road. With our blacked out bottom lip, it is nearly invisible and I think the lower black sills and front lip was a smart and practical design choice. I know with the new painted lip I would inevitably scratch it on something and worry about it.