Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasons to reject delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bklynguy

MYLR, White, 19", Black interior, 5 seat, OD 4/30
Mar 31, 2021
Fontana, CA
For those who have taken delivery or experienced Tesla owners what are the reasons that you would reject delivery of MY, keeping in mind the excessively long wait for the order. With the VINs now into 250xxx there may still be issues with panel gaps, but are there any other issues that you would suggest rejecting delivery? Obviously it all comes down to personal preference, however I'm wondering if some of these issues are minor and worth the headache of waiting for service rather than waiting another 6 months for a car.

Your assumption is that if you wait the next one will be better?

During inspection document all shortcoming and have them agree in writing to fix them, with a reasonable timeline commitment.
Yes the assumption is that hopefully the next one would be better. I know that the rejected deliveries occurred more frequently in the earlier orders but seen some people that still reject deliveries recently because of certain issues.

For me, anything that was paint, body panel integrity, or glass related.

Minor paint issues, like a speck of dust or whatever under the paint would be ok but I’ve read too many posts on here about how the SC has tried to paint correct bigger blemishes or other damage and just made things worse. I don’t want a brand new car being re-painted.

Same thing for body damage like dents. I’ve seen some post about people who had dented hoods and had to get full replacements which made things worse with fitment/ paint match issues.

The last is glass. Door glass I might be ok with as replacing a window isn’t that hard and there’s no glue. But if the windshield/roof/rear glass was damaged in any way I’d reject it. Not paying this kind of money to immediately have someone cut out my glass and deal with potential sealing issues when they re-glue it.

Now all these types of things can be fixed to factory spec without issue if the people doing the repairs know what they are doing, but with as hectic as everything is at Tesla I wouldn’t want to be at the mercy of hoping it is done right.

Reactions: Bklynguy