Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebate advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone

Sorry for another rebate thread, but I had a very specific and kind of strange question, and I was hoping to get some opinions. I purchased a MS75D last September, and recently received the $14k Ontario rebate.

I'm considering trading it in for the Model 3 (also Im assuming its addition to the EVIP is inevitable)). The question is, if I ordered the M3 in the next week, I would likely take delivery on the car in June, which would mean that I'd have only owned the Model S for 10 months. From what I understand, the rebate program requires me to own the car for minimum 12 months.

Is this something that I should be concerned about? How likely is it that I would be asked to return the original rebate for my MS?

Thanks in advance

I would…but it defeats the purpose. I was going to move to the 3 to cut costs a bit, and the rebate is a big part of it. It would probably make more sense to wait a few extra months. I’m just worried the rebate will be done by Fall

Just out of curiosity, has anyone on this forum sold their S within the 12 months and been asked to return the rebate?

The other solution would be to hold onto the S until 12 months are up and then sell it - regardless if the 3 comes before that time. It requires that you can manage paying for both vehicles at the same time, but otherwise you'll be out of pocket. It would be most prudent to hold off on delivery until the 12 months are up though, in my opinion. That said, is there any impact to the value of your S? I don't know on that.

The other solution would be to hold onto the S until 12 months are up and then sell it - regardless if the 3 comes before that time. It requires that you can manage paying for both vehicles at the same time, but otherwise you'll be out of pocket. It would be most prudent to hold off on delivery until the 12 months are up though, in my opinion. That said, is there any impact to the value of your S? I don't know on that.

If he does that he will lose the tax savings on the trade in, effectively costing him 13% more on whatever the trade-in value of the S is. Depending on the trade-in value and what he can sell it for privately it might not be worth it.

Reactions: TrevTremaine