Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebates and Incentives for a Tesla Model 3 purchased in California.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my understanding of the the various rebates and incentives one can apply for after purchasing a Model 3 in California (in November 2018). Does these seem correct? Please feel free to correct and nuance my rough understanding as outlined below:

1) Federal tax credit: I am thinking there is a $7500 credit and that I don’t have to do anything related to that until we file our federal income tax return for 2018.

2) California State rebate of $2500. I am thinking that there is an online form I would file out for this now, and that filing jointly with an income below like $190,000 I would eventually be sent a check for $2500. Does that sound right? Is there any particular benefit to waiting vs doing this right away?

3) I think I have heard that there is a PG&E credit available in northern California. I am not sure how to apply for that. I also heard that it will go up from $500 to $800 on January 1, 2019. Does that sound right? Are people allowed to wait and get the higher amount? Is there a time frame within which one has to apply? How do you apply?

4) I think I can get an HOV sticker, and that if I wait until January I would get a “purple one” that lasts an extra year. Is the true?

5) I have heard rumors that one can get a credit or rebate or something related to installing home charging capabilities. I just ordered a Wall Connector for $500 from Tesla and pretty soon I will have it installed. Is there a way to get some money or something for doing that? I heard also the Monterey Bay Clean Air was providing money for something like that, but that they ran out of money? Does anyone know about that? What is the best course of action?

6) Is there anything else I have not mentioned?

Any comments, thoughts and advice are much appreciated. Is there anything in particular that needs to be done ASAP after buying a car? ( I have been kind of busy, so I have not done anything yet.)