TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reboot Frequency?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by tliving, May 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tliving

tliving Member

I've had my car exactly 2 weeks and have had to reboot the 17" twice:

#1: 4/5 seat heaters weren't functioning. Later on I found the browser wasn't opening web sites. A reboot of 17" fixed both issues (service scheduled a visit but never recommended a reboot for some reason).

#2: "Bluetooth not functioning correctly, needs service" error (and my phone wouldn't connect). Reboot (while driving) of 17" fixed it.

How often do you have to reboot?
    Is it always the 17" you're rebooting?
    What kinds of issues are you fixing with the reboot?
    Has the rate of lockups/issues gone up in 5.9 or par for the course?
    How does Tesla know about/fix these if people are "just rebooting"?

Coming from the Mac I feel like i'm back in the Windows world except for the excellent UI and performance.

2. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I to have had the blue tooth issue and nav locking up, both needed rebooted and the left front door handle malfunction. Seems like more rebooting after 5.9

3. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

I don't think that's generally true. I had far more problems and reboots with 5.8.4

4. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

This is the only problem with ever-updating software based technology. Tesla was smart enough to put in the forethought to NOT have most of the functions work in tandem with the driving mechanics of the car. Example, if a bug freezes up your screen AND dash, the car still works like a car.

I think we will be seeing a lot of this as natural programming errors going forward. It may be a new norm in society to have your car have a software bug and you have to reboot your speedometer. :)

5. Carguy949

Carguy949 Member

I got the Bluetooth not functioning properly error this morning and did a screen reboot to fix it.

6. beegee

beegee Member

I have had to reboot about once a week for the Bluetooth not working. Not too big a deal unless there is a good song playing :)

7. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

This is the Mac of OSs. I've only had to do it twice in nearly a year of ownership and 16,000 miles of driving.
    One hard restart all by itself.

Instrument cluster screen has never failed.

8. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I've rebooted the screen twice in about 14 months of ownership. Once, maps weren't loading. Other time, voice commands weren't working. Fixed the issue both times.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I always reboot following any firmware update. Seems to take a reboot or two to settle it down. In fact I noticed my Ranger rebooted it after installing a minor update the other day. So it seems like I've got the right idea on that one...

Other than that I rarely reboot it anymore. When I first got the car (1.5 years ago) I was rebooting pretty frequently, and even had it crash on occasion.

10. Vger

Vger Active Member

This echoes my experience. It was a lot more frequent in the first 6 months. Now it is quite uncommon. I don't think I have had any issues with 5.9(.96).

11. Mark Bloomston

I found that I had to reboot a couple times in the first week or 2 of ownership and a couple times after 5.9 upgrade. Two months into ownership now and things seem pretty stable.

12. ntam

ntam Member

Some or maybe even majority of subsystem failures (i.e. blue tooth issue, center console freezes, dash screen freezes) that require you to reboot could be due to soft errors, which are radiation induced errors in the memories of the electronic devices that occur randomly over time. They are called soft error because they are not permanent error and will disappear after a reboot. One easy way to distinguish whether you are seeing software/hardware issue vs. soft error issue is to check whether the error condition is repeatable. If it is repeatable, then it is not soft error.

13. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

I have never rebooted, took delivery December 17, 2013.

However, spoken commands do not work, and the car has not yet prompted me to perform the 5.9 update. Still on 5.8 something which was installed in the first week or so of ownership.

14. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I don't remember the last time I rebooted mine... it's been stable for me.

15. delanman

delanman Member

Bluetooth quit twice on 5.8 after hearing a sharp snap then nothing - like static from an electrical arc. Display froze. Manual reboot both times and I happened to be in park both times. It hasn't happened again since updating to 5.9. 5.9 has been installed three times now for unknown reasons.

16. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I reboot once every few months.

17. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I've never had to roboot in my 18 mths of ownership, that is, until I installed 5.9 After a couple of days the console wouldn't wake up, so I had to reboot.

18. MTOman

MTOman Member

I've never had to reboot but I've done it just to see it and to show my techie friends :p

19. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've rebooted four or five times over 15 months.

20. Seven7

Seven7 Member

Rebooted a few times after getting my car last year, then only one other time for a slacker playlist problem. Maybe a total of four or five times and I try to do the reboots when I'm home just in case something goes bad.