Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reboot Frequency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car exactly 2 weeks and have had to reboot the 17" twice:

#1: 4/5 seat heaters weren't functioning. Later on I found the browser wasn't opening web sites. A reboot of 17" fixed both issues (service scheduled a visit but never recommended a reboot for some reason).

#2: "Bluetooth not functioning correctly, needs service" error (and my phone wouldn't connect). Reboot (while driving) of 17" fixed it.

How often do you have to reboot?
Is it always the 17" you're rebooting?
What kinds of issues are you fixing with the reboot?
Has the rate of lockups/issues gone up in 5.9 or par for the course?
How does Tesla know about/fix these if people are "just rebooting"?

Coming from the Mac I feel like i'm back in the Windows world except for the excellent UI and performance.

I've had my car exactly 2 weeks and have had to reboot the 17" twice:

#1: 4/5 seat heaters weren't functioning. Later on I found the browser wasn't opening web sites. A reboot of 17" fixed both issues (service scheduled a visit but never recommended a reboot for some reason).

#2: "Bluetooth not functioning correctly, needs service" error (and my phone wouldn't connect). Reboot (while driving) of 17" fixed it.

How often do you have to reboot?
Is it always the 17" you're rebooting?
What kinds of issues are you fixing with the reboot?
Has the rate of lockups/issues gone up in 5.9 or par for the course?
How does Tesla know about/fix these if people are "just rebooting"?

Coming from the Mac I feel like i'm back in the Windows world except for the excellent UI and performance.
I to have had the blue tooth issue and nav locking up, both needed rebooted and the left front door handle malfunction. Seems like more rebooting after 5.9

I don't think that's generally true. I had far more problems and reboots with 5.8.4

This is the only problem with ever-updating software based technology. Tesla was smart enough to put in the forethought to NOT have most of the functions work in tandem with the driving mechanics of the car. Example, if a bug freezes up your screen AND dash, the car still works like a car.

I think we will be seeing a lot of this as natural programming errors going forward. It may be a new norm in society to have your car have a software bug and you have to reboot your speedometer. :)

I always reboot following any firmware update. Seems to take a reboot or two to settle it down. In fact I noticed my Ranger rebooted it after installing a minor update the other day. So it seems like I've got the right idea on that one...

Other than that I rarely reboot it anymore. When I first got the car (1.5 years ago) I was rebooting pretty frequently, and even had it crash on occasion.

Some or maybe even majority of subsystem failures (i.e. blue tooth issue, center console freezes, dash screen freezes) that require you to reboot could be due to soft errors, which are radiation induced errors in the memories of the electronic devices that occur randomly over time. They are called soft error because they are not permanent error and will disappear after a reboot. One easy way to distinguish whether you are seeing software/hardware issue vs. soft error issue is to check whether the error condition is repeatable. If it is repeatable, then it is not soft error.

I have never rebooted, took delivery December 17, 2013.

However, spoken commands do not work, and the car has not yet prompted me to perform the 5.9 update. Still on 5.8 something which was installed in the first week or so of ownership.

Bluetooth quit twice on 5.8 after hearing a sharp snap then nothing - like static from an electrical arc. Display froze. Manual reboot both times and I happened to be in park both times. It hasn't happened again since updating to 5.9. 5.9 has been installed three times now for unknown reasons.