Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reboot loop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my X100D for 5 days.

Since then, I have rebooted the car 4 times. Three of those 4, the car went into a loop where the IC screen would flash the Tesla logo and then come up for maybe 5 seconds and then reboot again. The MCU remained black the whole time.

I made a small video today:

Here are the long details:

The first time it happened to me, this lasted less than 5 minutes. I was driving. I had just left the SC after delivery and I had no audio at all (no navigation audio, no music, no blinkers sound).

The second time, I had no LTE connectivity for a long time. I was also driving and this time, it lasted about 15 minutes. During that time, I had no speed indicator.

These two episodes happened on 2018.21.9

Yesterday, I got the new 2018.24.1 firmware. I was hoping this would solve my problem. As a matter of fact, I had to reboot because when I entered the car, both screens were blank and they would not come up. This time, the reboot worked normally.

Today, again, I had no LTE connectivity for a while so I rebooted the car again. I was parked at the supermarket. It went back into a loop. I could not turn off the car. I could not lock it. I could put it in drive but the parking break was engaged and it wouldn't disengage when selecting drive. I tried pushing the wheel buttons several times but nothing.

I called assistance and the lady on the line was clueless. She tried to contact my car but it appeared off line to her. I activated my iPhone hotspot but the car would not connect. Then, suddenly it became online to her (while still rebooting) but it wouldn't let her pull the logs. After about 3 minutes, it went offline again. She decided to call road assistance and while she was doing that I tried the wheel buttons once more and then, the MCU came up, and the IC screen stayed off for about 30 seconds and came up too, and everything seemed normal.

The lady proceeded to download the logs and she told me she would send them to my SC and to upper support and that I would be contacted next week.

Has anybody seen anything like this? Any idea how to "break" the loop if this happens again? I get the feeling that when I drive the car later, LTE will be dead again...

Well, it seems like I'm the only one...

I got a call from Tesla today telling me my car was offline (normal since it sleeps inside an underground parking with no signal). They asked me to move it to a location where they would be able to connect.

They will call tomorrow to let me know what they find out from the logs. I'm make sure to post it here in case someone else happens to have the same problem.

I had something similar happen to our Model X as well fairly recently. We had an MCU & Instrument Cluster that would go into reboot loops periodically and it's pretty concerning when that happens in a new car. We also had our driver profile settings get corrupted and disappear, along with the ability to use AutoPilot beyond 45 MPH. The last time that happened we took the car to the local Service Center and they kept it for three days trying to diagnose the issue.

The root cause was actually due to a failed firmware update a few days prior. Tesla was really slow in pushing the update again (it took four separate calls to support) and the main reason is because they had a difficult time connecting to the car due to our LTE capabilities going offline. The car actually went through a full factory reset of itself during the Service Center visit.

Now some good news...the car has worked just fine now for about 3 weeks. There are no lingering effects from the previous issues and once my Wife and I entered in new driver setting profiles and streaming favorites we have no had another issue after the full reboot. I am still slightly concerned that this issue could happen again and I am overly cautious around new firmware updates. Hopefully your issue gets resolved in a similar fashion!

• Informative
Reactions: arubinst
I had something similar happen to our Model X as well fairly recently. We had an MCU & Instrument Cluster that would go into reboot loops periodically and it's pretty concerning when that happens in a new car. We also had our driver profile settings get corrupted and disappear, along with the ability to use AutoPilot beyond 45 MPH. The last time that happened we took the car to the local Service Center and they kept it for three days trying to diagnose the issue.

The root cause was actually due to a failed firmware update a few days prior. Tesla was really slow in pushing the update again (it took four separate calls to support) and the main reason is because they had a difficult time connecting to the car due to our LTE capabilities going offline. The car actually went through a full factory reset of itself during the Service Center visit.

Now some good news...the car has worked just fine now for about 3 weeks. There are no lingering effects from the previous issues and once my Wife and I entered in new driver setting profiles and streaming favorites we have no had another issue after the full reboot. I am still slightly concerned that this issue could happen again and I am overly cautious around new firmware updates. Hopefully your issue gets resolved in a similar fashion!
Thanks for your reply! In my case, everything seems to work normally until I reboot the car. Then it enters the loop, where only the IC comes up and the MCU remains dead. Pretty scary.

We'll see what they find out when they call back...

So, they're replacing my screen as I write this. They determined that there was something wrong with the MCU and it had to go.

I would have been done a while ago but I was away for 5 weeks. I can go pick it up tomorrow.

Do I loose all my settings when they change the MCU?

The car has only been used for 1 month and everything is pristine. I really hope everything will look as new when I get it back tomorrow.

So, they're replacing my screen as I write this. They determined that there was something wrong with the MCU and it had to go.

I would have been done a while ago but I was away for 5 weeks. I can go pick it up tomorrow.

Do I loose all my settings when they change the MCU?

The car has only been used for 1 month and everything is pristine. I really hope everything will look as new when I get it back tomorrow.

Yes, you will need to create your Driver Profiles, HomeLink, etc. again once you get your new MCU.

I have this problem as well with my Model S 100D which I got last Wednesday.

I created a video:

The car is on 2018.21.9 and it's downloading a new firmware Tesla tells me. It keeps going offline and thus does not download the firmware very fast.

It has been doing this since Friday and is still going on. I don't know how long it will take before it's resolved.

I created a video:

The car is on 2018.21.9 and it's downloading a new firmware Tesla tells me. It keeps going offline and thus does not download the firmware very fast.

It has been doing this since Friday and is still going on. I don't know how long it will take before it's resolved.

Couple of things.... This is the Model X forum, you might want to try the Model S group. Secondly Have you called the support desk or your local service center? They will be able to help much better than a bunch of owners. Thirdly, 2018.21.9 is really old, I find it difficult to believe that Tesla would have delivered a new car to you, with such old firmware.

Couple of things.... This is the Model X forum, you might want to try the Model S group. Secondly Have you called the support desk or your local service center? They will be able to help much better than a bunch of owners. Thirdly, 2018.21.9 is really old, I find it difficult to believe that Tesla would have delivered a new car to you, with such old firmware.
Ah, yes, I see it's Model X, but S and X share the same media platform.

But yes, I'm 100% sure, I got my car last Wednesday and it was delivered with 2018.21.9. When my app connects it shows me this.

I called Tesla in Tilburg earlier today and they say my S is busy downloading a new firmware. But due to the reboots it doesn't go that fast. It has been doing this for 4 days now.

They advised me to connect it to WiFi, but as I park it in a public parking garage there is no WiFi.

So today I parked somewhere for 40 minutes with my iPhone on hotspot mode and was able to connect my Model S. It generated about 100MB of traffic in that time, but still no sign of a new firmware.

Tomorrow I'll drive it to a office where I'll probably be able to connect it to the WiFi there, if I can type the password fast enough before the screen reboots..

But yes, I asked Tesla to push a newer firmware last Friday as the car would forget Bluetooth devices after you exit the vehicle. They said they did and now this started.

I created a video:

just wondering from what i recall from the factory tour in Tilburg, they do a test drive there, should have seen this I guess no ?

They replaced my screen. It took them 4 days. They had problems loading the firmware. I just wouldn't install. I kept receiving notifications on my app of failed software installs.

They told me I was the first MCU2 replacement in Europe. Nobody seemed to know how to do it properly.

My problem did not look exactly the same as yours though. My MCU would remain black and only the IC screen would show signs of the reboot.

I wonder if the issue is the cellular network in Europe? Maybe Elon forgot to pay the bill and they dropped him to the low data plan.

Anyway, glad I persevered and got my X connected Wifi in my garage. I ended up putting in a dedicated Wifi Access Point for the that area. But my updates sure are fast!

just wondering from what i recall from the factory tour in Tilburg, they do a test drive there, should have seen this I guess no ?
Well, it worked with 2018.21.9, but when the Service Center pushed the firmware it started to loop on Friday.

They replaced my screen. It took them 4 days. They had problems loading the firmware. I just wouldn't install. I kept receiving notifications on my app of failed software installs.

They told me I was the first MCU2 replacement in Europe. Nobody seemed to know how to do it properly.

My problem did not look exactly the same as yours though. My MCU would remain black and only the IC screen would show signs of the reboot.
Ah, ok. It thought it was the same.

I wonder if the issue is the cellular network in Europe? Maybe Elon forgot to pay the bill and they dropped him to the low data plan.

Anyway, glad I persevered and got my X connected Wifi in my garage. I ended up putting in a dedicated Wifi Access Point for the that area. But my updates sure are fast!
My car shows full LTE when online and I can also connect through my App (not always).

Today I'm going to park the car at a office with WiFi at the carpark, so I hope that works and downloads the firmware.

Reactions: jboy210
Well, it worked with 2018.21.9, but when the Service Center pushed the firmware it started to loop on Friday.

Ah, ok. It thought it was the same.

My car shows full LTE when online and I can also connect through my App (not always).

Today I'm going to park the car at a office with WiFi at the carpark, so I hope that works and downloads the firmware.

From what I understand Wifi is always the best way to upgrade. Not only will they push software updates, but also map updates with can be gigabytes.

So, I called Tesla Tilburg yesterday. They told me that the first available option to look at this would be October 31st... That's more then a month from now.

I didn't accept that, so I called the Arnhem (NL) service center and explained. They told me that they could take a look at it today and so they did.

Long story short: The problem is the WiFi+Bluetooth+LTE module. This is a single module in MCU2 from Parrot.

The car tried to upgrade it's firmware, but that failed on that single module. This caused the center screen to keep rebooting over and over and cause these issues.

They manually overwrote the firmware and put me back to 2018.21.9

My car is now also excluded from any firmware upgrades until this module is replaced.

They will probably need to swap the whole MCU(2) as there is no manual (yet) on how to replace just the module.

Tilburg will do this in the end of October. Until then I'm on 2018.21.9 and any paired Bluetooth device will be forgotten by my car when I exit.

• Informative
Reactions: nico180
My MCU took a while to arrive.

At least they will now know how to install the software after they swap it... they had fun for 4 days learning with mine!

Something weird though... the car forgot all settings, profiles, bluetooth phones, GPS home and work adresses, previous destinations, etc. But it did not forget my Spotify favourites and my tunein account...

So my reboot loop is back. This morning Bluetooth would not pair en then it started to loop again.

I am dropping of the car this Sunday evening at the SC and they can figure it out then.

It really starts to annoy me. The car is just 10 days old.