Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reboot [of the screen]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My screen turned black as soon as I got in the vehicle and I was unsuccessful with both a soft and hard reboot. After 5-8 min of trying i gave up and took other transportation. Any idea how else I can reboot if the current methods are not working ?? I did have an incident where the screen went black last month while driving, but I was able to reboot and didn’t think much of it

Reactions: cyberjoe
My screen turned black as soon as I got in the vehicle and I was unsuccessful with both a soft and hard reboot. After 5-8 min of trying i gave up and took other transportation. Any idea how else I can reboot if the current methods are not working ?? I did have an incident where the screen went black last month while driving, but I was able to reboot and didn’t think much of it
This sounds similar to what I experienced this morning. Reboot led to black screen. How did you solve this last year?

So, there are three levels of "rebooting". The first two are in the NA Tesla Model 3 Manual.
  1. Restarting the Touchscreen - Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. Despite what the manual says, can be done while driving. This is commonly referred to as a soft reset. ALSO, adding holding down of the brake pedal does NOTHING - it's a myth.
  2. Power Cycling the Vehicle - See manual for details - involves sitting in the car for a couple of minutes. I guess this one could be called a "medium reset."
  3. Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset - as described on the Mountain Pass Performance web site. Not for everyone.

So, there are three levels of "rebooting". The first two are in the NA Tesla Model 3 Manual.
  1. Restarting the Touchscreen - Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. Despite what the manual says, can be done while driving. This is commonly referred to as a soft reset. ALSO, adding holding down of the brake pedal does NOTHING - it's a myth.
  2. Power Cycling the Vehicle - See manual for details - involves sitting in the car for a couple of minutes. I guess this one could be called a "medium reset."
  3. Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset - as described on the Mountain Pass Performance web site. Not for everyone.
Reboot level 1 is what gave us a permanently black screen. So level 2 was impossible, since it requires the menus. And I did level 3 two days ago, hoping for magic, but nope. The car is now being towed to Tesla.

Reboot level 1 is what gave us a permanently black screen. So level 2 was impossible, since it requires the menus. And I did level 3 two days ago, hoping for magic, but nope. The car is now being towed to Tesla.
Sorry to hear of your woes. I agree that a Power Cycle wasn't possible in your case. Let us know how things turn out.

The main reason for my post is the occasional clarification of "rebooting" the Tesla since it is an oft misunderstood detail.