Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reboot on waking up after charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been several times now that when I try to wake the car up in the morning after charging over night and I can't talk to the car. The app can't connect. And when I physically go into the car I hear some clicking and then the screen boots up and all is well.

Anyone else have these issues? It's not every night.. But a bunch of them...

Jim

For me, personally, this has been almost always a result of how I'm using my phone. High power usage etc and I have to go into airplane mode and out of it in order for it to connect again. The issue is with my phone (bluetooth power saving) or possibly the app and not the car.

When it's working the car will do those clicks as I'm waking up to it and by the time I touch the handles to open the door, the screen is on instantly.

When it's not working, the car doesn't wake (clicking sounds) until I go to open the door handles then the screen take a few seconds to start.

That's at least what I've observed.

I disabled power saving for the Tesla app, which helped a lot, but if my phone has gotten to a low battery state at any time, it seems to override that setting and the only way I know to fix it every time is airplane mode.

It happens, some folks seem to get it a little more. It's the display computer rebooting. You should still be able to drive and autopilot should work. You won't hear sounds though.
Yeah.. I was able to drive.. But no backup camera.. Also and probably more annoying was the fact that I cant remotely turn on the heat!
Not a big deal in my garage.. but if it happens outside.. Could be very annoying!

I'm pretty sure it's not the app.. The car reboots after I open the door. And I have to wait like 30-60 sec for the display to come up..

I get the same thing...
Lately, about 10% of the time, getting in my car, the screen is black. When I step on the brake... still black. Within 30 seconds, I see the white Tesla logo as the computer is booting up. Finally a few seconds later, the computer is ready.

In the morning my S doesn't seem to recognize my fob and won't let me remove the charging cable. If I click my key, the side lights flash but nothing else. The handles don't respond to the touch either. This goes on for a minute or two, then finally I hear the clicking, everything comes on and I can release the charging cable. The fob has a new battery, so that isn't it. Is this a deep-sleep situation? Is it normal?