Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reboot vs. Steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed the steering mode change momentarily when rebooting the center screen? I've rebooted a bunch of times while on a freeway, but the other day I did it on a windy road for the first time. I almost lost control during the reboot when suddenly the steering mode obviously changed while I was on an S-curve.

NOTE: I don't recommend testing this out. I was just wondering if it ever happened to anyone else. Obviously, the answer might be "Don't do that"

I've rebooted many times while driving with no change to the steering setting (or any other setting as far as I can tell--not that I've done a detailed check of every setting after a reboot, but I haven't noticed any changes).

Yes. I drive on sport and always notice if I reboot the main screen that there's a moment where it seems to "reset" to standard and get loose. It's jarring, but I know to expect it.

Slightly related, but lately I've noticed somewhat similar behavior even when not rebooting. Sometimes when trying to keep into a long curve or turn the resistance of the steering wheel seems to alter as I go, resulting in some odd moments where I need to compensate.

Yes. I drive on sport and always notice if I reboot the main screen that there's a moment where it seems to "reset" to standard and get loose. It's jarring, but I know to expect it.

Yes, I also drive in Sport mode. Thanks for verifying. It seems to me that there must be a way to not reset the mode during reboot, as it could be dangerous for someone who is not expecting it.

Slightly related, but lately I've noticed somewhat similar behavior even when not rebooting. Sometimes when trying to keep into a long curve or turn the resistance of the steering wheel seems to alter as I go, resulting in some odd moments where I need to compensate.

I have not noticed this, but will look out for it. Thanks!

I had my main screen freeze about 2 months ago while driving to the airport at 5:30 in the morning on a cold, rainy day. An error message popped up on the screen while driving and then nothing worked (no radio, no HVAC, etc., also I could control these items from the buttons on the steering wheel). Called Tesla and they told me to reboot. They said I can do it while driving if I wanted to, but they recommended waiting to I was stopped, just in case a setting changed that could momentarily affect the drivability of the car. So yes, Tesla does suggest waiting to you are stopped, and not reboot while the car is in motion.

The headlights go off when rebooting too. Keep that in mind if you decide to reboot while driving in the dark.

I didn't know this. In any case, it's not always practical to fully pull over, and aside from noticing the steering resetting, never had any issues that would affect the car. I'd always just noted it as an odd quirk and kept right along.

Steering mode changes during reset while driving.

Everybody knows that sometimes the console locks up or Bluetooth is screwed or something that just requires a reset aka holding both steering column buttons down until the system reboots. Doing this doesn't affect the your critical systems aka brakes headlights etc etc.

Today, my navigation was hanging on "navigation initializing" after hitting my destination so I had to reset it again. A few weeks ago it was Bluetooth. There's been numerous times. Anyway, the first time I noticed this was while I was taking an exit ramp I rebooted the systems. (Oh btw when I first got the car two years ago I first tested rebooting while driving around my neighborhood going like 5mph bc I did want to know how the car would behave in this situation, and going that slow so I wouldn't like crash hard if something critical stopped working). Hence I knew rebooting while driving should be safe and I've done it numerous times since. Anywho, like I was saying I was taking an exit ramp once when I did this so I was into a good hard curve. What I noticed was that the steering all the sudden felt "loose". I drive all the time in Sport and suddenly it felt like Comfort or Standard. I've tested this a few times now all with the same result, that the steering mode seems to change while its rebooting. When the system comes back online again it switches back to Sport mode. Fyi you don't SEE any changes on the UI (when it comes back online that is) but you can definitely feel the change in the steering wheel. You don't lose control of steering at all either. It's just the mode.

I'm speculating that the default mode is standard which is what it drops back to during a reboot and then switches back to the user setting after the system loads.

I've been meaning to post this for a while (like a year haha) so it's not anything new with software. AFAIK it's always been like this. Today when doing it again it just reminded me today post this again so I'm finally doing it.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? The first time (the time on the exit ramp) I was shocked because this was actually changing the driving dynamics while driving. I would have expected all critical systems INCLUDING STEERING MODE to not be affected by a reboot. I didn't notice it initially two years ago bc it's not something that's obvious when your going 5mph in a straight line). I do consider it sort of dangerous for the system to behave this way. Once or twice my console has "crashed" (it's just a computer anyway, yes it happens rarely) so I would expect the same behavior to occur in that use case as well (so it can happen to anyway unexpectedly).

Headlights don't go off for me either.

Funny how my thread got merged and someone else noticed a few weeks ago. I've known about it for over a year haha I'm just that lazy and didn't get around to posting it til now

I've done it at night too, and I don't recall the headlights going off. Of course, I wasn't actively looking for that either so if they blinked when I was under bright street lights I wouldn't have noticed.