Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebooted MCU Display Not Responding $1948 Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday my streaming music had a loading error. Everything else on the monitor worked (mapping, camera, phone). I noticed I couldn’t get the FM radio to work either so, per Tesla’s recommendation, I held down both scroll wheels for 30 seconds. The MCU rebooted but the screen never came back on.

I called Tesla 800 line and the gentleman there said he couldn’t connect to my car anymore so he couldn’t help but did note that my car had an error downloading an update and that could be that. Per his suggestion I requested a mobile service which was an 8 dat wait. About an hour later that was cancelled and an appointment was scheduled at the Santa Barbara service center in 4 days. It is located about 1.5 hours away. When I returned home for the night I noticed the air conditioner was on and there was no way to shut it off. In fact without the monitor the cars functions are very limited. By the way my car is out of warranty as on 75 days ago.

I had the car towed to the service center last night and I got a text this am from the service center that says:
“Our technicians performed a diagnostic on the touchscreen and unfortunately it needs to be replaced. The estimate for to replace the touchscreen is $1948.44. We do have the part in stock. Please let me know if you approve the repairs.”

I questioned why the monitor would have to be replaced when it seems like the MCU was frozen which happens about once a month and upon reboot it wasn’t working. Their response:
“Yes, something internally is not functioning properly and this is why the replacement is needed. I do apologize but unfortunately the vehicle is out of the new vehicle warranty.”

“ Rebooting the touchscreen helps reset the touchscreen. This is not an issue with rebooting but rather an internal issue.“
“ When you perform a reboot, it is resetting the computer itself. I know this is unfortunate but I am just advising the needs to be done to have the vehicle working properly again.”

So, do I really trust Tesla in this diagnosis?

If this was just the screen why couldn’t Tesla nor my app connect to the MCU?

How can I ensure that rebooting the MCU when it freezes will not fry the monitor again?

Is the monitor truly fried or is this some other problem and they’re just jump into the first conclusion that cost $2000 to replace when truly it might not be that?

I would appreciate any feedback. I know I have to get this fixed I just don’t want to fix it and have the same problem again and throw good money I have a car that is just out of warranty and that a bug may have caused this problem.

thank you very much in advance for your feedback

You're experiencing the common MCU problem related to the eMMC (flash memory) wearing out. It seems they've dropped the pricing of replacing MCU1. It used to be over $2k.
Since you're out of warranty, there are people here able to replace the eMMC for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
You're experiencing the common MCU problem related to the eMMC (flash memory) wearing out. It seems they've dropped the pricing of replacing MCU1. It used to be over $2k.
Since you're out of warranty, there are people here able to replace the eMMC for you.

There are some valuable YouTube videos describing this issue and providing a fix for it. I hope this will help:

Yet another reason I encourage all to buy Tesla's ESA; it's a win-win either way.

If you don't end up needing it much, you help further Tesla's mission, and hopeful success, in a usable planet for other beings to live on.

If you have "issues" like a bad MCU, flaky door handles, etc., then you're well on your way to getting the value out of your nearly $5k "investment" in Tesla.

Extended Service Agreement

The emmc is failed. Replacement of emmc or MCU is required. The chip may or may not be recoverable. You can check the link in my signature for all the details.

Maybe pricing is regional, but I heard tesla is selling MCU for 1300 now, and labor will be about 2 hours. So should be a little less than your quote.

Ask about the MCU2 upgrade. You're not in the right upgrade time period for your car but maybe they'd take pity on you. $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade, well worth it if you must replace anyway. Otherwise I'd limp along as long as you can until you can get the upgrade.
Limping along may not be possible. In my case, the car would not charge after the MCU failure. I agree with asking about the MCU2 upgrade but, if it's not available, there may not be any option but to replace or try to work with a third-party who can help.

Update: I did not hear back from Tesla after I inquired why they think it was my monitor that went bad. Today I asked for an update and was told.

“We are waiting for approval to replace the MCU”

I inquired if this was MCU1 or MCU2. Their response:

“This will not be the MCU2. Unfortunately, due to your vehicle being out of the new vehicle warranty this is a customer pay item. The price to replace the MCU is $1948.44. Please respond back if you approve the repairs otherwise we will charge the vehicle for you to have it ready to pick up shortly.”

Wow, pay $2k to get MCU1 or come get your basically bricked car. Any recommendations on action I should take? I have a second car I can use indefinitely. Keep in mind the service center is 1.5 hours away and I work in an essential service industry and cannot leave my area at least until weekends.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Update: I did not hear back from Tesla after I inquired why they think it was my monitor that went bad. Today I asked for an update and was told.

“This will not be the MCU2. Unfortunately, due to your vehicle being out of the new vehicle warranty this is a customer pay item. The price to replace the MCU is $1948.44. Please respond back if you approve the repairs otherwise we will charge the vehicle for you to have it ready to pick up shortly.”

Wow, pay $2k to get MCU1 or come get your basically bricked car. Any recommendations on action I should take? I have a second car I can use indefinitely. Keep in mind the service center is 1.5 hours away and I work in an essential service industry and cannot leave my area at least until weekends.

The 'monitor' is really more of an all-in-one PC, it handles the cellular/ wi-fi/ user interface of the car. It is all one unit, so it is like your screen is on, but your computer isn't booting.
You'll either need them to replace the unit or go get the car (if it will charge) then have someone pull and fix the MCU.

Sounds like they read your question as informational, vs request.
I'd suggest asking them explicitly if they can do a replacement upgrade to the MCU2 for $2,500. It may help to send them this link: https://www.tesla.com/support/infotainment
Keep in mind, you'll lose FM,AM, and Sirius.

Two options:

1. Just pay Tesla their money and fix your car. (And buy the ESA next time!)

2. Consider simply removing your MCU and sending it to any of the various vendors that can likely repair it. More hassle, but it's not too hard to do; cost will likely be half?

I would strongly consider #2.
I would print off all communications on this topic that you've had with Tesla (to confirm their diagnosis)
I would print off the receipt/diagnostic of the work done by the forum member

I would then print off all of the documentation I could find on this known issue by Tesla to include evidence that this being poor coding on Tesla's part, and how they've changed how to code works/writing to the chip works.

I'd then neatly combine all of that data and send to Tesla's legal team (in Fremont, I assume?) politely but strongly requesting full reimbursement of the money you paid for the repair due to Tesla's negligence.

If they decline to reply or reimburse you, I'd do my research to follow proper process, file a claim in my local small claims court and serve Tesla. (most small claims court clerks can guide you on how to serve out of state defendants. Usually its serving the servicing agent for Tesla in your state).

The above worked out WELL for me against BMW years ago. end result? Their servicing agent called me and said "how do we make this go away". We settled out of court to my full satisfaction (and then some).

Same boat. When I told them I had no interest in replacing a known defective part with another known defective part they just shrugged their shoulders. We were just going to wait it out until the MCU2 upgrade became available, but the date moving to "Coming Soon" kind of solidified that we might be able to do this upgrade sometime after my AP1 car gets the ability to drop me off at the mall entrance and go find a parking spot.
It would have been nice if they had an upgrade path for people who had their eMMC fail and prioritized those over the "cosmetic" upgrades (although I do understand that the FSD crowd has an axe to grind as well)